Final Crysis

By Alec Meer on April 29th, 2008 at 8:20 pm.

Sulk.

Epic do it. id do it. Even educated fleas do it. And now Crytek have announced they too are dumping PC exclusives. VG247 spots Crytek’s Cevat Yerli telling PC Play about the aftershocks of Crysis:

“We are suffering currently from the huge piracy that is encompassing Crysis. We seem to lead the charts in piracy by a large margin. I believe that’s the core problem of PC gaming: PC gamers that pirate games inherently destroy the platform. Similar games on consoles sell factors of 4-5 more. It was a big lesson for us and I believe we won’t have PC exclusives as we did with Crysis in future. We are going to support PC, but not exclusive any more.”

Whether or not his mooted reason for it rings true, it’s sad news, and leaves me wondering who’ll next pick up the baton of bleeding-edge graphics. Crytek collected it from Epic, who’d collected it from id, but there’s no obvious successor – with the possible exception of Valve, who lately (and happily) have been concentrating more on eyecandy-via-art, not tech. That said, in these splendidly idea-rich times for PC, do we even still need someone pushing quite so hard against the graphical ceiling?

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Mike says:

I love this “they bring it on themselves, those piratey PC gamers” lark. The further along we get with consoles, the more we see piracy on them. It’s just a matter of what’s in most people’s homes.

Still, it’s fair enough that they want to do this. Hopefully, with platforms like Steam emerging, this sort of thing will be a blip on gaming history rather than being representative of a future trend.

2. roBurky says:

I enjoyed Crysis, but it seemed terribly sad that teams of people had spent so much effort on the tiny visual details, but it was wasted because they didn’t spend the same amount of effort on a lot of the important bits.

3. Mario Granger says:

But let’s be perfectly honest; what exactly has Crytek really contributed to PC gaming? Not to say Crysis is completely without merit, but its basically FarCry with new graphics right down to the stellar first half ruined by a ridiculous sci-fi element.

I have to admit, I don’t really care about this at all. This ranks up there with Epic’s ridiculous bashing of the Wii in my eyes.

4. UncleLou says:

Bit of a shame. Even if you don’t like the game (personally I loved it, it was far from being just a tech demo), they were pretty much the last ones really pushing the technical boundaries to such an extent, and the broader the spectrum of development efforts is, the better for all of us.

People who complained about the hardware requirements brutally missed (one of the) point(s) of Crysis.

5. Jonathan says:

“That said, in these splendidly idea-rich times for PC, do we still need someone pushing quite so hard against the graphical ceiling?” No. No we don’t.

Crytek are engineers not artists. They can perfectly replicate a tree but they do shit bird song. Not sure what that means. I didn’t like Crysis. Roburky had it right, how many months did they waste on bendy leaves only to use five year old animation tech. They focused on making pretty stills. you don’t need animation for that.

Also wasn’t the pirating for the Playstation absolutely horrendous? Everyone I knew had a “chipped” console. Steamworks has the potential to be the biggest games console in the world. At least it will if Valve don’t censor or block new games. If they don’t then PCs will be the easiest way for designers to get a game out as they won’t need a license from the console makers.

6. Guiguibob80 says:

if they started to make PC game I could play on my machine I would start buying their game. Now I’m buying from the smart developpers who don’t force me to spend 500$ on my computer to play their latest game and when I insert their CD I have to go through ten steps registeration to even get to play the damn game I paid for.

7. Dude says:

Yeah they should read about GTA IV being leaked 10 days before it official launch. I think piracy is also an issue on consoles, but simply the fact that there is so many of them make it less than an issue than on PC. I would like to see actual figure to compare piracy on console and on PC. At the time of the PS1 everyone around was pirating games, I wonder if it changed….
    Is it sad? well not really, they are probably going to make money by selling to the console world and they will probably have some extra in their engine for the good old PC. Let’s face it, consoles will always lag behind the graphic race.
    If it means more money, it means more time to develop games. Now of course their is the argument of dumbed down game because it’s also on console. Personally I don’t think it is true in all case. but I can allready see it coming for their next game…

8. Meat Circus says:

Hopefully nobody.

“Cutting-edge graphics” is why PC gaming is in the idiot-hole in the first place.

In case of any amibguity, we all know the piracy argument is bullshit, right? Including them? Good.

9. Kieron Gillen says:

(That’s a guess. May be less. They announced it doing a Million at the arse end of January. so somewhere higher than that considering it appears to still be selling is a goodish guess.)

There are not many games a year that sell 6-7.5 million.

(Bottom end guess, assuming it just did a million and stopped would be saying it’ll have got 4-5 million.)

I’m not sure this is a reasonable guess.

KG

10. SwiftRanger says:

Too bad, Far Cry/Crysis were very good and a focus on PC is never bad if you want to be sure no console taint slips in.

I guess those 1 million sold copies of Crysis weren’t enough then after all (which would be ludicrous if they really think that way) or are they really that jealous on CoD4′s console sales? Piracy on PC should be dealt with (the sites are known, why not… act?) of course but there are always other reasons as well for not buying Crysis… yet (it seems Cervat alludes to decent future sales as well).

EDIT: I should learn to guess sooner.:)

11. UncleLou says:

“Just as an idea to throw out into a debate, this is about them not selling 6-7.5 million (i.e. What CoD4 did) instead of the 1.5 million or so they probably have.”

That’s not really what he’s saying though, is it? He’s not saying they’ll go multiplatform because you of course sell more on 2 or 3 platforms than on one, he’s comparing Crysis to single console exclusives (or to how much a game like CoD 4 has sold on each the PS3 and 360, for that matter, rather than in total) – at least that’s how I understand him.

12. Kieron Gillen says:

I took it to be “Similar games” as in “FPS” not “Format Exclusives”. Hmm. I’m not sure it holds up even then.

You’re not Halo 3, y’know.

KG

13. Kalain says:

The comments about piracy on the PC are starting to get old now. Consoles suffer from it just as much as pc’s, look at GTAIV on the 360. people were playing it up to a week before launch. I believe the PS3 has been cracked.

I go to my local market and I see far more pirated games for the 360 than the PC.

But as KG has said, they probably want more cash so they are going for the consoles now. When the consoles get to the end of their life, in about 2-3 years, you’ll see PC exclusives again. BUt, I believe they are just doing this so they can say it sold 6+ million.

14. po says:

I CHIP CONSOLES for any friend who will let me (and buy all my PC games).

Anyway, Crysis was crap (can’t believe I payed for it, bastards).

15. UncleLou says:

“BUt, I believe they are just doing this so they can say it sold 6+ million.”

The thing is, I can’t really blame them. If you can sell 3 times the number with comparatively little additional development time, you’d need a bloody good reason not to do it.

16. Tim Ponting says:

Speaking as an insider, though Infinity Ward would hesitate to leave behind the PC gamers who helped build the Call of Duty franchise, I think they would be the first to express a desire to abandon PC altogether given half a chance, even if Call of Duty 2 on Xbox 360 only happened because Microsoft helped fund it. It’s not just the piracy economics, it’s also the development considerations that have to go into a multiplatform strategy that includes PC. If you build a PC that is essentially an Xbox 360 and run Call of Duty on it, you’ll find the frame rate on the 360 version OWNS the PC experience because they don’t have to program generically, they can optimise for 360. And QA costs? Don’t even go there.

Steam (and companies like my own) are working to shut the piracy door, but this will only work if it’s what the publishers and developers want. If the reality is they want one or two unified architectures at most, and aren’t prepared to experience the love-hate performance-pain QA nightmare that is PC… Even secure digital download won’t save mainstream gaming on PC.

Now indie and casual games… that’s a different matter. Long live the PC.

SkimpyBikini

17. Yoshi says:

This announcement seems a bit disingenuous coming form Crytek, a company that was raided in its early days for using pirated software.

Couldn’t find any information on the outcome of the raid.

Perhaps they paid the licenses/fees and it went away?

18. cliffski says:

Unless I’m mistaken, you need to chip a console to run pirated games, and run the risk that updates will then brick it or block your online access.
    Any PC player can, out-of-the-box with a few mouse clicks be running a pirated copy of thousands and thousands of PC games.
    It’s *easier* to pirate games on the PC. That doesnt mean nobody pirates on consoles, but just that a bigger percentage of your sales are lsot to it on PC than console.

19. Rob says:

Just a note to those praising Steam vis-a-vis stopping piracy: it only prevents pre-release piracy, post-release encryption on Steam is routinely cracked.

20. Rook says:

Crysis was packed in with a lot of cards so I wonder how much of that million was actually retail sales.

The 4-5 million statement is certainly an eyebrow raising comment, I don’t think Orange box hit that, and that was certainly a better product than Crysis ever was, and UT3 barely got passed a million combined on PC and PS3. I really do think Cevat has been drinking the koolaid a bit, after all the promises about Dx10 turned out to be empty, and the quite frankly terrible alien sections despite swearing to have learnt from the trigens.

Overall though, multiplatform development really seems like a no brainer these days. There’s such a massive amount of redundancy between the PS3/360 and PC that it’s a waste not to develop a title accross all three, and many traditional console developers are certainly coming to similar conclusions.

21. Monkfish says:

I can’t help thinking this is just a bit of scapegoatery. Sure PC piracy ain’t exactly ideal, but is it really affecting sales that badly? Are a significant portion of those cheekily downloaded copies genuinely lost sales?

I’d have been happier if they simply said that they were just gonna chase the mighty console dollar, and not give any other half-assed reason. Making out that piracy is at the very core of PC gaming is tarring everyone with the same brush, and I don’t think that’s fair on the 1.5 million punters that bought the game fair and square.

22. po says:

#1 reason for people pirating Crysis?

Answer:
    One of the most frequent questions on hardware sites is ‘Will my system run Crysis’.

23. Rook says:

You’d think that demo they released before the game came out would have answered that question.

24. bobince says:

Piracy: your handy excuse for any product failure.

PC gaming: 20 years and still dying strong.

25. fluffy bunny says:

I wonder how many of the people who will inevitably cry “bullshit!” at the notion that piracy might be killing the high-end PC games market are pirates themselves.

26. po says:

Except the most graphically intensive parts of the game aren’t in the demo, the demo doesn’t get as much optimising/patches as the game, and is released before any drivers have been updated to cope with the game. [can we get a quote button?]

27. UncleLou says:

And even if it is bullshit, publishers and developers obviously believe it. And they are the only ones that matter in the end.

28. Dinger says:

1.5 million copies would be a roaring success for Defcon, but for Crysis? That means the devs are getting about $15M, or (roughly) enough budget for facilities and a team of 150 FTE for a year. Can you get 3 years and 186 employees out of that figure?
    Correct my math, but the order of magnitude I’m seeing is in the break-even range for a super-AAA title like Crysis.

Yeah, I have no doubt that Crysis got pirated through the nose. Marketers presented it as (err… “it was written up by journalists without regard to where their paycheck comes from”) not just as a game, but as a benchmark. And here lies the real problem, the less-understood flipside to the smash-hit “DX 10 and High System Specs” excuse that topped the charts last winter. See, there’s a fundamental mistake in marketing to the high-end system builder.
    Sure, many of them — say 1.5 million — freely drop money on light-dimming graphics cards, and memory chips with LED displays providing an up-to-date count of every hair on the owner’s left testicle. But for system builders, putting computers together is the hobby and the source of prestige in their gatherings. Gaming rigs are the capital investments. Software is just consumables. About as many people go to LAN shindigs to see the software other people have as go to pick up on girls. I mean, sometimes — very rarely — it ends up that way, but nobody in their right mind sets out to do so.

So, high end system builders just sunk a lot of cash into their hardware, and want to show it off. They do not necessarily believe in buying software, but they do necessarily believe they have to show Crysis on it to impress people with its power. Heck, I’ve known people who bought Crysis to convince themselves that their new computer was “cool,” and then go to the office and brag to everyone about how realistic it was. The Feelies get better every year.

So maybe marketing the game as “cutting-edge high-powered, DX-10, best for Vista and disposable income” created a demand for a must-have benchmark. By those standards, it did pretty well.

Frankly, and no offense to the good folks at CryTek, I can’t wait for the super-AAA titles and the super-PCs to kill each other.

29. Kieron Gillen says:

Tim: Good to see you, man. Long time.

UncleLou: has a point. But seriously, PC piracy is much worse than Console Piracy. When I did the Yarr-ts, comparing the size of seeds on the console torrents to the PC torrents was educational.

KG

30. RichPowers says:

Anyone else think there’s a conspiracy among studios to slander the PC as a gaming platform? Is there a Davos-like meeting where they set a yearly agenda behind-the-scenes? Epic blamed piracy for UTIII’s flop (godforbid they blame the game’s crapiness) and now Crytek’s joining the party. I’m not implying that all studios that discuss piracy are inherently conspirators in a plot to kill off PC gaming and force us into sandboxed consoles ruled by the iron fists of Sony/Microsoft. But I do wonder if these rants by CliffyB, et al are merely the beginnings of a self-fulfilling prophecy.

I’ve always unfairly loathed Crysis for what it represents: screaming graphics at the cost of exciting gameplay; a game only wealthy PC enthusiasts can truly enjoy; a way for NVIDIA and ATI to perpetuate the graphics card arms race; a way to justify DX10 (and by extension Vista upgrades). In other words everything that makes PC gaming a pain in the arse sometimes.

A very conspiratorial & paranoid post, yes, but that’s just the vibe I get.

31. po says:

Quote: UncleLou

Thankfully quality publishers like Stardock/Ironclad don’t believe it, just the big overhyping publishers like EA, who can quite frankly f-off to console land.

32. UncleLou says:

@Kieron:
    I personally never doubted it. I often see the figures from publishers “spying” on torrent networks at work. It’s frightening.

33. UncleLou says:

“Because we all know pirates would’ve gone out and bought a copy if piracy was nonexistent.”

Noone says that. Well, the industry sometimes does to calculate their theoretical damage, but they don’t believe it themselves. But if you see the figures, often before a game’s release, you’d have to be rather naive to believe that it doesn’t have a significant impact on sales.

That aside, there’s of course also the more philosophical idea – you don’t want people to use something for free that you have created to earn your living, whether they would have payed for it or not.

34. fluffy bunny says:

“But if you see the figures, often before a game’s release, you’d have to be rather naive to believe that it doesn’t have a significant impact on sales.”

Or just extremely stubborn.

35. Anach says:

A huge number of pirates doesnt mean that if there werent pirates that it would sell a huge number of games.

36. Frosty840 says:

The old argument:
    Pirate-boy has no money. He wants copies of PCShooter25 and ConsoleTrash3000.
    Having no money, he pirates both.
    Total so-called-loss to the industry? £80, assuming level pricing.
    Total actual loss to the industry? £0. No money had no money to be had.

The real argument:
    Pirate-boy has £40. He wants copies of PCShooter25 and ConsoleTrash3000.
    Having money, he pirates the one that’s easiest to pirate. That would be the one on the PC.
    Total loss to the industry? £0. Again, no money that didn’t exist in the first place wasn’t spent, and nobody lost it.

When you look at the industry as a whole, there is no money being “lost”. There’s a pool of money-spent-on-games, and it’s spent on games regardless of piracy.
    Piracy on the PC, however, is directing that money away from the PC and into consoles. This isn’t a situation where there’s only a limited amount of money, and nobody is losing fake sales.

The PC sector is losing money to the console sector. This is happening because of piracy.

37. po says:

How many online games have been pirated. For practically every online game I’ve played (BF2, BF2142, TF2, CoD4) you need an individual serial number to play online. Either that our you’re stuck playing hacked servers with a bunch of cheats.

38. Paul says:

Even though Crysis hasnt sold as many copies as CoD4, i think in a long term perspective it will sell better than it does now because more gamers who couldnt play crysis at the time of release will have better pcs or hardware. One of CoD4 advantages over crysis on the pc was that it had moderate system requirements. Thats why i think CoD4 initially sold more copies on the pc than crysis. Maybe sales will also increase at the end of year when crysis becomes slightly cheaper(hopefully!).

39. Acosta says:

I’m a bit puzzled for the reactions here. Everyone (apart of Stardock or Valve, which put their games on consoles too) are complaining of the actual state of PC gaming and the best answer we can give is: “uh, the game was crap”.

If you want to close the eyes and sing “lalala”, fine but you are crazy if you think this is not an issue. What is going to be the space of PC gaming? a second thought platform to put ports from technically inferior consoles? There is less and less money for PC project and less studios interested on it, I don´t know you but I find it a less than ideal situation.

40. Ozzie says:

Well, I think the main problem Crytek faced with Crysis was that they limited their audience hugely through massive system requirements.

That’s more likely the reason for the flop than piracy. I mean, every PC game gets pirated somehow. Yet enough developers can make (more than) enough money on this platform.

41. po says:

Back when I was chipping Xboxen, the best mod chip you could buy was £45 including shipping.

42. UncleLou says:

“It would most likely be a small percentage of those pirates that would actually purchase the software if they werent able to pirate it.”

That’s pure speculation. And there are lots of indicators that it’s not true – sales of specific games on consoles, with the PC version selling significantly less, but exceeding the console numbers if you factor in downloads, for example.

Or sales numbers of first and foremost multiplayer games, where the PC suddenly is much closer to the sales of the console version of that specific game.

43. Kanakotka says:

Nothing wrong with piracy. It has been there since computer gaming. I actually have pyro 2 cracked. Anyone remember pyro 2? Yeah, it was 1992 or something like that. It’s just hip to cry and whine about piracy, and blame everything on it. The true software pirate’s creed is simple, so simple, in fact, that i have to type it in caps. Any group that has been around for more than a year and isn’t retarded has this posted in every single info file.

IF YOU LIKE THE GAME, BUY IT. SUPPORT THE SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS.

Yet, nobody mentions this in the press, curious, isn’t it?

I have bought around 40 games that i have pirated first.(one of them being crysis. Another one being farcry… i see a pattern) The number of those i haven’t bought and played is, of course, greater. But you could get over 40 games just by looking at EA’s games with year number in the title. There are over 15 NHL titles, for instance… sigh. :P

Yet they fail to always mention that console piracy exist on similar scale. Have these people even heard of mod chips?

And just like Ozzie said; ” main problem Crytek faced with Crysis was that they limited their audience hugely through massive system requirements” Though, this bothers me… didn’t Crytek give out a press release not too long ago that Crysis sold over a million copies? FLOP MY ACHING ASS

Also, epic weeping at UT3′s flop, and pointing the finger at pirates is just ridiculous, unintentional humor. It’s an online game, and the single player is boring, let’s face it, no one wants to play Unreal Tournament as single player. The game flopped because it bluescreened estimated 20% of the computers it ran on, and which it didn’t bluescreen, it crashed to the desktop, to the point that 10-30% could play the game, and realize it’s shitty reincarnation of a boring game.

44. cliffski says:

Theres no ‘evil conspiracy’ to pretend that piracy is worse than it is on the PC. I can assure you it IS bad. I’m a small indie dev, quite clearly a struggling PC-only non-DRMed PC good guy, and yet I get brazen freetards emailing me saying “I torrented your game and it won’t run, fix it for me” or posting on my forums asking why the copy they downloaded from a warez site doesnt run right. And I’m doing niche ‘under-the-radar’ stuff. if you work on a triple A game for the PC, it’s WAY worse.
    As I said before, people who want to pretend piracy isn’t a problem (for whatever justification) will still be saying this when there isn’t a single high profile game being made for the PC. Big companies like epic and id do what makes the most money. If PC gamers pirate the products too much, they won’t make them anymore. That is what is happening right now.

45. fluffy bunny says:

Cliffski: “Piracy *is* killing off PC gaming. How many more developers have to abandon the PC as lead platform (or abandon it completely) before the kids who refuse to buy games get this through their skulls?”

Ah, but you’re a developer, so you can’t be trusted. Because obviously, like all other developers who have been saying this lately, you’re part of that great PC-hating conspiracy to slander the PC games market. Yes.*

* might not be what I believe.

Edit: Uh, my response was more fun before you posted the post above mine… serves me right for being slow. :)

Also:

Frosty:
    “The real argument:
    Pirate-boy has £40. He wants copies of PCShooter25 and ConsoleTrash3000.
    Total loss to the PC-games sector of the market? That would be a £40 loss from the sale that went to the console game instead of the PC game. Right there, there was money to be had and it was not had by the industry because of piracy.”

QFT.

46. cliffski says:

“Piracy is the leading cause of shitty games not being done en masse, and great games being supported. We would be flooded with barbie adventure games if piracy didn’t exist.
    Yet, nobody mentions this in the press, curious, isn’t it?”

Sorry but thats total bullshit. Look at casual gaming. The reason 99% of them are games about dressing up and cooking or babysitting is that they are all aimed at 30+ women. Why? Because 30+ women don’t run bit-torrent.

Don’t insult game developers by suggesting that piracy is doing the industry some kind of service. At least be man enough to admit you steal shit because you think you won’t get caught.

47. Kieron Gillen says:

The QFT has a point too.

KG

48. Chemix says:

The reality of it is that pirated games are not that easy to get, a good copy is one among a few dozen bad ones, all of which taking a few days to a week to download depending on broadband speed, it’s not even an option for 56k. After that, a person may or may not feel that the game was worth their money if they had it in the first place.

I try my best to buy games from developers that I think deserve the money, and I bought Crysis, which is a solid game in itself, just relatively simple in plot and with a few big bugs and a seriously linear ending that directly leads into a cliffhanger that we might never see.

49. cHeal says:

I think this man should read the article on Piracy authored by the Sins of our Solar Empire developer. He made two very important points. Create a game which will run on a wide range of systems (also something I feel Valve pioneered) and STOP MAKING GAMES FOR A DEMOGRAPHIC OF PEOPLE WHO PIRATE!!!

It really is that simple, it’s all very well and good to complain about piracy but why do developers continue to make games which I would nearly say encourage piracy. It’s an FPS, it is hardware braking technology, it’s been hugely hyped and there are questions over whether it will run on peoples systems. That is smack bang in the middle of pirate country I’m afraid.

Games which are being looked forward to a lot will in-evitably suffer from piracy, whether it be on PC or console. On PC a few steps can be taken to avoid piracy. Provide a healthy sized demo at the right time, not two months before and certainly not two months after. I’d also imagine a good number of people, who wank over computer graphics are the same kind of people who know how to pirate. Sure it’s not hard, but most gamers who are not highly involved in the PC software internet social networks don’t know what torrents are and they certainly wouldn’t know how to mount a drive, hell I didn’t know until 6 months ago. Stop making games which so specifically appeal to this hardcore group of gamers. I hate to tar them all with the same brush (which I actually am not, I’m just think the percentage wise I’d imagine piracy is higher among this group) but the needs of these people (new tech) is an element of the industry which is genuinely of little real worth.

Crysis limited its possible market by creating an engine which such a small number of people would ever have the chance to play on release, I don’t believe that monetary concerns should take complete presendence over the art of the industry but some research into the market you are relying on to survive is still required and when those elements of your game which are limiting your market are so superfluous one really has to wonder what Crytek were thinking.

That’s my take. It’s sad to see so few developers making pc exclusive titles but to blame on piracy the failings of the game Crysis really seems to purposely miss the point.

I’m not sure about CoD4, I heard that it had high piracy rates but it seems to have still done pretty damn well, so it’s hard to guage how much of an effect piracy actually had on the game, as it always is.

EDIT: I take exception to Cliffski’s belief that piracy is killing PC gaming as it implys that PC gaming is dying or will at some point be dead. This is simply not true, infact PC gaming will almost definitely outlast all other formats just because PC development is open and free and nearly everyone has a PC, less and less people I know are getting the new consoles. What are they getting instead? A laptop.

50. born2expire says:

I think Crytek whining about piracy now is a little late, i mean they willing made Crysis a PC exculsive, and they where aware of all the piracy in PC gaming, but still flaunted the fact that they where making a game “for hardcore PC gamers” (most of which are still waiting for that game). It almost seems that they are crying that they didn’t expect people to pirate it. If anything is killing PC gaming its the mass amounts of shitty games. Im proud to say (off the top of my head) I bought Orange Box, Crysis, STALKER, COD4, WiC, UT3, Quake Wars, BF2042, Bioshock, all within the last 6 months, and STALKER being the only one of those games that i enjoyed (perhaps it just that im getting old and not much appeals to me anymore, certinaly not halo!).

I’d be insterested in seeing how Crysis’s numbers did in comparison to the other big PC sellers of the year Bioshock, Orange Box, COD4, World in Conflict, ect. I bet they sold all about the same.

As much as people whined and complained about Bioshocks activation it did stop zero-day piracy, hell it took a solid 10-14 days for Bioshock to hit warez, I for one bought it, and i hated it, but that is besides the point.

Comment on this story