Final Crysis

By Alec Meer on April 29th, 2008 at 8:20 pm.

Sulk.

Epic do it. id do it. Even educated fleas do it. And now Crytek have announced they too are dumping PC exclusives. VG247 spots Crytek’s Cevat Yerli telling PC Play about the aftershocks of Crysis:

“We are suffering currently from the huge piracy that is encompassing Crysis. We seem to lead the charts in piracy by a large margin. I believe that’s the core problem of PC gaming: PC gamers that pirate games inherently destroy the platform. Similar games on consoles sell factors of 4-5 more. It was a big lesson for us and I believe we won’t have PC exclusives as we did with Crysis in future. We are going to support PC, but not exclusive any more.”

Whether or not his mooted reason for it rings true, it’s sad news, and leaves me wondering who’ll next pick up the baton of bleeding-edge graphics. Crytek collected it from Epic, who’d collected it from id, but there’s no obvious successor – with the possible exception of Valve, who lately (and happily) have been concentrating more on eyecandy-via-art, not tech. That said, in these splendidly idea-rich times for PC, do we even still need someone pushing quite so hard against the graphical ceiling?

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. much2much says:

James T Bioshock has always been AU$50 on Steam. Maybe thats why I wasn’t so vocal when I was let down about the game not being as interactive and immersive as I thought from repeatedly watching all those clips with voiceovers from Ken Levine.

2. James T says:

much: Yeah, I would’ve gone for it, but I didn’t have broadband then, heh (time vs money, time vs money…) Ah well, one for the history books now.

3. JP says:

Albides, that quote is dead on. Hopefully PC devs are starting to realize that “high hardware requirements” is just another niche, alongside adventure games and super-complex 4X games. You can’t spend tens of millions making one and then expect the sheer technical awesomeness to make this niche profitable. You have to accept the bad with the good of being on the bleeding edge (no thanks, personally).

I for one am just happy to see PC gaming growing beyond tech showcases (which we’ve always done well) into everything from Peggle to Sins of a Solar Empire.

4. Tunips says:

Commenting on the original posting – Isn’t Far Cry 2 supposed the next graphics-card-meltingly high-end shooter?
    But I am well pleased that more developers now are focusing on how their game LOOKS, rather than how many polygons and dozens of shaders it has. TF2, Spore and the new PoP game all look fantastic, without having particularly outrageous requirements (I hope)

5. SwiftRanger says:

“Modern games generally take at least 10 hours to get through. Often 30+. ”

Some big non-FPS titles perhaps, the rest is only getting shorter and shorter.

6. nakke says:

Game, that requires hardware from 5 years in the future sells crappily (compared to the developer’s expectations, at least). HEY, let’s say it’s because of piracy! Yeah, that’ll work!

How do they know how many who pirated it eventually bought it because it was good in their opinion, or how many didn’t buy the game because they noticed the demo or their pirated version didn’t run at more than 5fps?

I think it’s silly to complain about bad sales when not even 1% or so of the whole PC population can even run your game. Jesus. (1% is, of course, just coming from my arse. But still. The fact is that not even a fucking tri sli $3000 computer can run Crysis at max settings with a high fps. And that’s totally ridiculous. Sorry for swearing.)

7. AbyssUK says:

Yup commercial gaming on the PC is dying, luckily the indie stuff is blooming! I’d play Deathworm over Crysis any day.

8. Lars Rasmussen says:

Crysis, release dates,
    NA November 13, 2007
    AUS November 15, 2007
    EUR November 16, 2007

(I downloaded the game and completed the SP before my pre-order came in the mail – legal, no, entitled, hell yeah).

9. Zoso says:

Similar games on consoles sell factors of 4-5 more.

That does seem to be a huge exaggeration. I can’t be bothered going further than Wikipedia (“Citation Needed” and all that), but as lots of other people point out, if Crysis sold a million it’s only aberrations like Halo 3 that get 4-5 (or 8 ) times that many sales. Of recent(ish) PC shooters, Half-Life 2 sold 4 million. Ah ha, Steam, shows you get more sales if you stop pirates… but the contemporous Doom 3 sold 3.5 million.

Can’t say I’m terribly fussed about PC exclusives any more anyway, as consoles get more powerful. I admit I’m still a bit bitter about Deus Ex 2 and blame the XBox entirely for it being rubbish, but decently ported stuff like the GTA III series, Bioshock, (hopefully) Mass Effect, I don’t mind waiting a few months after a console release. They’d better port GTA IV, though…

10. Taxman says:

Not surprised at all by this announcement at all.

Pushing over the top graphics in games is what has dug PC gaming into a hole in the ground, by vastly increasing the production costs of games but PC gaming market has not expanded enough to afford the development of such games.

Not even the consoles are immune to this the Surfer Girl a (very accurate) rumour blog mentioned that Killzone 2 (PS3′s own Crysis) is in trouble over massive costs for the graphics and so-so gameplay. It is possible to hype the game to death though and hope it will sell enough or portray it as your own Halo killer so they are bound to get some sales from that.

By doing such eye candy fests the only companies making the real money are the hardware vendors like NVIDIA or Intel.

Also although I am/was one I firmly believe that so called PC enthusiasts are overall the biggest pirates out there, Crysis is the perfect e-penis measurement tool and a game like Crysis plays perfectly into there hands to beat each over the head with.

Pirates are very much graphics snobs so I do hope some devs wise up and invest in good art direction like Valve do instead of trying to push the tech envelope.

11. Muzman says:

Little late here, but the whole PC game is dying thing; surely what’s happening is (as others have said) not that these guys can’t make any money, but aren’t making as much as they think they can. And what’s driving it is not that copying games is now suddenly a big issue or suddenly so much easier (I don’t know what fantasy world has all this fantastically brilliant warez that just works perfectly in it, with no squillion shakey and destructive copies of the same thing to sift through, or has the bandwidth where 4+ gigs is nothing. Certainly not mine). It’s that now it’s more visible. They can do like Kieron did and whip on over to some site and scrape together some rough numbers at the drop of a hat. What bean counter could resist such figures?
    That all might be largely academic, as if people are leaving PC development (or relegating it) it doesn’t really matter why, I suppose. Although it does seem like now would be a good time to repeat that fairly compelling theory that the console world has over stretched itself, is flooded and will collapse in a heap, leaving probably Nintendo standing alone (again) in a year or two.
    Then they’ll come crawling back.
    (incidentally Crysis’ graphics posturing actually put me off getting it as well and may well have hurt it, but the truth is it actually scales quite well and doesn’t make an upper-mid level PC seem as obsolete as the hype may have suggested.)

12. Kanakotka says:

I will say it again. Even though developers might whine as much as they want, piracy isn’t really the huge problem it is made out to be. Currently it is just very hip to point the finger at piracy and blame it. But the truth is, it is lesser evil than it was several years ago. Here’s a little bit of proof ; when Homeworld 2 released in 1999 it got 26,800 peers in matter of hours.(it was on suprnova. I pirated the game, it showed just that many peers on my peer client too, so it wasn’t a faked number. And guess what? I bought the game because it was just that damn good.)
    Nowadays, the highest peer count i’ve seen on a game, no matter how awesome, isn’t even 7,000. Piracy is on a DECLINE so to say, but still everyone is crying about it, what’s the fucking deal?

The problem is usually that the game is shitty, unoriginal, costs too much, and no one wants to buy it anyway.
    Any piracy group that has ”been there, done that” will never touch indie games, or games that are borderline indie.
    Did RELOADED, Razor, MYTH or ASCII even touch sins of solar empire? No. They didn’t.
    It was PROCYON, now, on an old pirate’s eyes, this is a group of retarded little kiddies.
    While they have a few noteworthy titles under their belt, most of the titles they release are either shitty that no one wants to play (lost – via domus, sherlock holmes, et.c. et.c. ) or indie games. Not a proper pirate group so to say.

Me neither.

Piracy isn’t killing off PC gaming.
    Piracy isn’t affecting your sales on a large margin.
    Piracy isn’t a major problem everyone makes it out to be.
    Piracy saves your money by letting you know what you are buying before you buy it. (Ever bought anything from shopping tv? Infomercials? Piracy is prevention of this.)
    And finally, Piracy is just a shit filter for most pirates, like me.

Yes, i steal games, but i do not want to support bad games like the umpteenth installment of fifa or nhl, the newest sim shitty or barbie horse adventures, or anything even remotely like that.
    I want to support good games, like Bioshock, and good engines, like CryEngine 2 (the game wasn’t good enough. The engine is marvellous though)

Case closed. PC gaming is not dying because of piracy. And most of all, PC gaming is just not dying. It has been ‘dying’ for the last 20 years.

And those who argue about demos and metacritic scores? Oh please.
    I do not agree with every critic out there.
    I do not know what i am getting by playing a demo, this is the problem with most demos. They are just shitty.

I want to know what i am purchasing, when i purchase it.
    Ever bought something experimentally from a local food place and tought it tastes like crap? But didn’t matter because it was 5 dollars?
    Well imagine it being 50. And do it several times over. Plus, now that you’ve bought crappy stuff, the developer thinks they can put out more crap and… yeah, you get the point.

13. SwiftRanger says:

“This announcement seems a bit disingenuous coming form Crytek, a company that was raided in its early days for using pirated software.”

They didn’t found any pirated software at their offices I think.

““Most anticipated release of the year”, and they have the BALLS to let us Europeans stew for 3 days, while the torrent starts popping up on all the usual suspect sites. No wonder it got pirated.”

I thought Crysis was even released a bit earlier because it got cracked a week ahead of release.

“If anything, console co-development has meant stuff like COD4 and Bioshock (which, folks’ minor griping about vita chambers etc aside, both feel entirely at home on PC) benefit from far, far higher production values and quality control than if they’d been PC-only. I can even imagine Crysis’ final act possibly wouldn’t have been quite such a nosedive if it was due for an initial release on 360 as well as PC.”

Euh, I wouldn’t say that, consoles don’t have better QA, there are enough bugs to prove that. As Cervat also says, Crysis as we know it now wouldn’t be possible on consoles (read: it would have to be scaled back on more than just the graphical aspects).

14. Theory says:

I sure as hell can’t think of a solution to this problem — unlike console games, PC games can’t realistically be rented.

A World of My Own has that covered. It’s a great way of buying and I can’t imagine ever going back to the lump sum cliff-face after I first get a chance to try it. :-)

15. cliffski says:

“I will say it again. Even though developers might whine as much as they want, piracy isn’t really the huge problem it is made out to be.”

based on what?
    I AM a PC game developer. i can see where twice as many people download patches and mods for a game that bought it. Am I a liar?
    It doesn’t matter how much pirates try to justify what they do. Devs can see the bottom line, and they are leaving the PC en masse.
    case closed.

16. cliffski says:

“Piracy is communism, not democracy. And true pirates will never touch indie games. Ever seen any of the big, well known groups release any indie game?
    Me neither.”

As an indie whose games get cracked, you think it matters a fuck to me WHICH group did it?
    get a clue, and please dont embarrass yourself further with your pathetic attempts to justify theft. You leech of the honest gamers who aren’t afraid to buy games. As for a demo not being good enough, is a test drive good enough for a £10,000 car? Or do you steal the car first to make sure?
    What bullshit.

17. Kanakotka says:

Your arguments are irrelevant and just absurd. While they try to make a point, the analogies are ridiculous. You are a PC game developer? Well, good for you. Here’s your medal. I’m a PC gamer, where do i get my medals from? By the way, your ‘bottom line’ is merely theorethical figures with next to no relevance to truth.
    PC games are not cars, they’re PC games, they’re as much consumable products as anything.
    I have done my fair share on developing gamethings myself.
    Reality hits hard if you live in an ivory tower. Yes, there will be people who play it without paying you a dime. But there will always be that kind of people, get over it. No matter how you release it, where you release it, what kind of genre it is, on what platform you release it et.c. et.c. will not matter worth one dime.

I am not trying to justify theft, i’m trying to unjustify shitty games.

Have a good day.

PS. If people buy 10 pieces of your game, and 5 people pirate it, it doesn’t mean you would’ve ever sold 15 copies. Hah.

18. Dinger says:

Yes, I’ve seen the software I’ve worked on and sold (all of two copies) end up on torrent sites too.

Please someone ban the following arguments from ever being made again:

1. I can’t afford to test games, so I pirate them. Dude, we can’t all live the rockstar-games-journalist lifestyle. If you limit your purchases, you can still get entertainment out of it.
    2. Piracy is stealing. Say that again, and I’ll steal your source code and publish your code, just so you know the difference.
    3. The game sucks, and is not worth the money. The price of games does not correspond to the value you’ll get out of them. You buy a book in a bookstore, you have no guarantee that you’ll like it either.
    4. Piracy is killing the PC game industry. Good. (medic voice) Now go!

19. cliffski says:

“Your arguments are irrelevant and just absurd. ”

and you are a pc developer? who? don’t hide behind anonymity, tell us who you are. I’m sure your employer would like to know a pirate is on the payroll.

you [think] the whole world owes him free games.

20. Nallen says:

It makes me angry, and frankly embarrassed, that so many PC gamers are willing to accept or even excuse, nay deem it their right to pirate games.

21. Cigol says:

Piracy is a problem on the PC for sure. Nobody can deny that.

Still it’s not why Crysis didn’t sell as well as they had (foolishly) hoped, nor is it killing PC gaming. All’s it is doing is helping to make the console market more attractive for the quick buck. Which you might think spells doom for the PC but you’d be wrong… Cliffski can’t take his games and put them on the console because it would cost more to develop and nobody would buy them – therefore our PC developer Cliffski is stuck on the PC, Hence; PC gaming will never die as Cliffski is immortal, right?

Huge generalisation which holds up even with more discerning gamers; You can literally shovel (graphically appealing or online connective) shit into the mouths of console users and they will swallow it with a grin. It’s the nature of the market on a console and that’s a fact (I just made up). It’s consumerism to the full, whereas on the PC it’s obviously a lot more difficult to pull off (though not impossible).

SO yeah.

22. cliffski says:

Don’t be so sure. indie gaming doesn’t exactly rake in the cash. the minute I can’t pay the bills, I’m back to IT support, and the minute pirates latch on to stardocks game, they will go back to doing windowblinds applications.
    Pirates will then get their wish, which is the ability to play all old games for free, and no more new games unless they are advergames sponsored by pepsi. yay!

Oh and MMOs. we will have even more MMOs, but every other genre will be wiped out. yay!

23. shiznit says:

Until I can get a refund or most of what I paid as store credit for returning a piece of shit like Bioshock (which you couldn’t return despite the malware on the DVD), long live piracy.

Piracy is pissing off big publishers off because they can’t sell complete shit on PC like they can on console since we can so easily download the full game and find out for ourselves.

And please don’t give me the argument about how I can read reviews to find out if a game is good or not, Halo 3 and Bioshock are some of the highest rated games in Metacritic but they wouldn’t even get 5/10 from me, in fact Bioshock gets a 0/10 for being completely unplayable due to the forced mouse acceleration which not a SINGLE reviewer noticed.

I’m not saying piracy isn’t hurting PC developers, and my heart goes out to studios like Iron Lore who make good games and have to shut down while clowns like Bungie make shit but get wipe their ass with $100 bills.

With that said, 90% of all games made are complete shit. I don’t believe a damn thing reviewers say and many demos are in no way representative of the full game (Crysis demo rocked but game started sucking when you met the aliens). I need to try it for myself before I drop $50 on something I can’t return, or even sell for a loss like Bioshock due to the limited installs (which were specifically designed to kill resales not piracy). Console gamers can trade their games in for $40-50 but If I buy a turd like Bioshock based on the demo so-called ‘reviews’, I’m stuck with it.

24. Okami says:

Yay, another piracy discussion! Let’s talk about violence in games next, ‘kay?

25. Lou says:

Where’s that hubris coming from that gamers have a right to know exactly beforhand if they’ll like it? Do you also completely read books before you buy them and sneak into music gigs and decide to pay afterwards only if you liked what you heard? Very weird.

Pirates really seem to be notoriously bad at knowing their own tastes. Of course they need to finish the game first to be really sure, then apply their impossibly high standards as a self-excuse.

26. Albides says:

Do you also completely read books before you buy them

Okay, I admit it. First I creep in, all sly, all quiet, wearing a black cloak and keeping to the shadows. I rifle through the books, find a cover that looks appealing, skim the blurb. Then, quick as you like I head for the exit, heart pounding in my chest like a drum, and I wonder that in this quiet place, nobody hears it. But before I do that, I see the librarian and checkout the books, so the alarm thing doesn’t go off.

27. shiznit says:

You can call it hubris or what ever you want, I call it being smart with my money. Buying a PC game is much bigger financial risk than buying a console game, and smart consumers use piracy as 100% effective quality control to make purchasing decisions.

In fact, if it wasn’t so easy to get full copies of games, I wouldn’t have even bought half the games I ended up buying. Without being able to try it for myself I would probably wait until the price is down to $20 for 99% of all releases. Not all torrent traffic is malicious.

28. cliffski says:

Here is the demo for bioshock:
    next excuse?

Personally I’d give Bioshock 9/10. I thought it was awesome. I also thought it easily worth the money. Was funny to see the freetards foaming at the mouth for the first two weeks when everyone else was playing it too.

29. cliffski says:

” Buying a PC game is much bigger financial risk than buying a console game, and smart consumers use piracy as 100% effective quality control to make purchasing decisions.”

Do smart consumer steal cars and squat in houses before buying those too? What about a widescreen TV? they cost thousands, how do you cope with the fact that you don’t get a 6 months free demo of a TV OMGZ!!!! Oh Noes!!! etc.

30. Ian says:

“I don’t believe a damn thing reviewers say.”

This suggests you keep reading reviews in spite of not believing/agreeing with any of it.

So you’re a glutton for punishment. Also, presumably, you look for the games reviewers hate the most and buy them? You must love your games collection of Superman 64 and Leisure Suit Larry: Magna Cum Laude.

31. Jim Rossignol says:

Aren’t PC games generally much cheaper than console games these days?

32. Radiant says:

Cigol I don’t think that console users WILL buy anything thrown at them.
    How many people bought N ?

The crux of that Cevat Yerli quote is this:
    “Similar games on consoles sell factors of 4-5 more.”
    And that’s not the case at all.

Crysis isn’t COD4 or Halo 3; stripped of its PC ball breaking reputation it’d sell about as much as Timeshift or UT3.

Now; If I sold 1.6 million copies of the casual crap we churn out or if Cliffski sold 1.6 million copies of one of his games we’d be over the moon.
    1.6 million PC games sold in [4 monthes] is good numbers.
    In fact thats should have been his EXPECTED numbers.
    How many copies of ‘Sins’ did Stardock sell?

If Cevat Yerli thought he could spend as much as he did and recoup that on sales alone then he made a mistake.
    His first.
    His second mistake was not putting something in his game that is unpirateable: a viable online component.

This belief that PC users are either women or thieves has to stop.

Everyone knows we’re old men with steering wheels attached to our desks.

33. Butler` says:

Alls I can say on this is: some smart SOAB is going to work out how to effectively prevent PC gaming piracy (and not in the same way Steam has) one day and make a mint.

And as an aside, Crysis sucked.

EDIT: Spot on there about Crysis Radiant, my thoughts exactly. They should be glad it sold that many on the back of graphics-related hype IMO.

34. shiznit says:

PC games are still $50 for the most part at release, and if they end up sucking your money is gone. If a console game sucks, you trade it in for 90% of what you paid.

I don’t read official reviews anymore because like I said I don’t believe anything they say anymore (Bioshock was the last straw).

I don’t support stealing games in any way and I have bought over 50 major PC games in the last 2 years alone because I felt they deserved my money. Sometimes a friend will get the game and I can try it there and I don’t have to download it, and sometimes I feel the demo is good enough to properly demonstrate the game (such as a sports game for example). But buying a first person shooter based on one good demo level when they other 10 levels could be total shit and not being able to get a refund is not smart imo, you can say what you want about my morals.

35. Jim Rossignol says:

This entire argument makes me wonder whether online PC games rental is the best option, perhaps even with a sort of predictive Tivo downloading system that is putting games you’re likely to want to try on your PC before you’ve even bothered to shop for them.

36. cliffski says:

“Smart consumers dont steal cars before they buy them because they can test drive them.”

in gaming, we call that a DEMO. And like all demos, its very restricted. You get maybe 30 minutes, you don’t get to test all the road conditions or nighttime or motorway driving, nor change the wheels etc etc.
    If a demo is enough for a £10,000 purchase you trust your life to, why is it not enough for a £30 PC game?

37. shiznit says:

Cliffski: because every $50 I spend on a game is 50 less for my future real-estate empire :) (man I love recessions)

38. SwiftRanger says:

“I have bought over 50 games in the last couple years and nearly all of them I downloaded first to check if they were good. If I liked them, I bought them. If I didn’t, I deleted them because why would I want to keep a bad game?”

Like cliffski said; demo. You can say it’s not always representative for the full game but I know I’ll buy a game if its demo/trial version has me hooked (spent more than 6 hours on the original Far Cry demo for example, replaying it several times, the SoaSE or Knights of Honor demos even more so) or when I can recognise the good bits in it. It’s a rule of thumb here, if I spend so much time on even a demo, then the full version has to be mine as well (paid for, of course). The other levels might be sh*t? Never had a case of that before and Far Cry f.e. had enough good parts to compensate for the rest.

A good demo is the best marketing tool any game could wish for and it’s not as if there’s even lack of information on what more you can expect in the full game (practically every review touched on the later sucky parts of Far Cry/Crysis).

Generally, if you still need to “try out” the full version of a game after you have tried the demo (and liked the demo a lot) then you are fooling yourself imo.

39. Alec Meer says:

A rental system will, I suspect, just lead to an additional layer of piracy focused on decrypting and cracking the files already delivered to your hard drive.

40. shiznit says:

Steam free play weekends are very effective.

SwiftRanger yes many demos are good enough to make a buying decision but many are deceptive, and some games just don’t lend themselves well to demos (Oblivion for example) and for others the demo doesn’t come out until a month or two after release.

41. Feet says:

Coming in late here so I haven’t read all the comments, apologies if I tread ground already… trud. ¬_¬

I reckon that PCs are about done as a cutting edge games platform in the way that game’s and games development have been defined up to now, certainly in the lucrative FPS\action genre anyway. I do think that we’ll see more exclusive PC games stepping away from what gaming has been since it became big business in the last 15 years or so, and moving into a new definition of what a game can be.

Only the console has the pulling power to continue with the current definition of what a game should be and all that entails. IE dev teams in the 100s, costs in the 10s of millions, cutting edge visuals.

I see this as a good thing over all. Piracy is bad, mmkay, but this response from the traditional FPS\action developers will mean it’ll hopefully usher in a change to what a game is on our “platform”. Go go small indie devs. :)

42. shiznit says:

Unfortunately that’s what it looks like, at least we will get crappy ports for a while until they stop bothering even with those. I really am sad that this is happening to PC gaming as it is my favorite type of gaming but something has to be done about the business model and content delivery system. Right now were are basically expecting people to go against their basic nature and not take what they want. I knew many people in college who simply didn’t give a shit about the time and effort that goes into making a game and how the people involved were affected, they downloaded what ever they wanted and never paid for anything and I can definitely sympathize with developers who get hurt. But to continue to do business as usual and expect people to act benevolently is not a solution. I downloaded games to screen them and paid for the ones that I kept, I’m not proud of it but in college you only have so much money to spend so I wanted to make sure I wasn’t getting ripped off. Now that I have a steady income it’s not as big of an issue but it would still help if you could trade used PC games in like you can on console. Being burned by a coaster like Bioshock doesn’t help.

43. RPS says:

Please proffer your responses without abuse. We’re editing most insults out now, but will just delete whole posts if they’re not sufficiently gentlemanly.

44. Amai says:

I know nobody’s gonna read that, but I strongly feel like I need to express myself on the topic :-)

ages ago when everybook was copied by hand, havign a book was really expensive, then came printing press, which made them relatively cheap, becasue the madium was cheap there was broader customer base, so you could make little profit of singl book, becasue the whole sales volume would make up for it. The cost of trasnport was the same.

Now to the modern day piracy :

Torrents and any p2p makes no cost sharing possible. DOn’t need to pay for materials, don’t need to pay for transport. I welcome the idea, because it will bring end to corporate entertainment. Big companies investing millions in promotion of average or poor games. putting millions into developement of graphics, and comign up with the story you would hate in the book: simple, boring, plain. If someon would make a novel out of crysis, I would’nt touch the thing.

45. Kanakotka says:

A demo of a game is not equivalent to a test drive of a car.
    A test drive of a car is called a trial version.

A demo version of a car would be kid’s car with bicycle paddles to make it go faster.

Unlike you, i have to earn the money to buy my games, and other stuff.

46. Butler` says:

The future of anti piracy is online security. MMOs have it innately, Valve worked at theirs with Steam. The technology is there, what’s probably holding people back is the creative and effective application of it in a scalable manner.

47. Lou says:

Difference is that many media, like films, and books, and games, are usually made to be used one time. If you’ve used it once, you don’t need to buy it anymore. Yes, there’s a certain risk involved, but hardly any other media offer more options to inform yourself, or are covered more extensively. There are gazillion of review sites, forums, demos, options to rent and whatnot.

It’s the nature of such things that there is a certain risk involved if you buy it. If you’re not willing to take that risk, look for a new hobby, or at least stop with the tiresome excuses. I honestly prefer someone freely admitting that he wants to save money to all these half-truths.

48. Sam says:

Come on, Lou. You can take films, music and books out of the library, (for a nominal fee, in the case of films and music).
    You can’t do that with games, as far as I am aware.

(Not that this supports piracy, but it’s an obvious difference between games and other media.)

49. cliffski says:

“A demo of a game is not equivalent to a test drive of a car.
    A test drive of a car is called a trial version.
    Unlike you, i have to earn the money to buy my games, and other stuff.”

oh joy. I’m 38 years old and run a games company, in case you didn’t realise that.
    The creator of something has the right to decide on what terms he sells it, what price he sets and who can try it beforehand. Not you. if you don’t like those terms, make your own games.
    By the way, the demo’s of games use the same engine as the full game, just like the trial versions of games do. Lots of games have full features and just one hour trials. I bet you pirate those too don’t you?

50. Kanakotka says:

I pirate what strikes my fancy. If it’s worth buying, i’ll buy it. If it’s not, i won’t. And in the case that it’s not, usually i don’t play it very much further than i would a 60 minute trial version. I get bored very easily.

I buy games.
    I donate to freeware games that strike my fancy (Dwarf Fortress & Toribash, to name a couple)
    Even if i pirate a whole alot, i only buy things that i like, support developers that do things that i personally enjoy, et.c. et.c.

I like to view it as a no-risk investment policy. But in the thick of it, it’s stealing, yes. And i don’t give a crap.

Just during the last year, i’ve bought 10 games. The estimate of 40 high up there in the comment list was the games that i own boxed pieces of. The truthful number is far higher. (With downloadable games, such as Unreal World 3, Armadillo Run, Pontifex, Garry’s mod, Mount & Blade…(the most recent purchase, guess what? I pirated it first.))
    Truth to be told, i probably had bought around 5-10 of those 40 games if i hadn’t played them first. Simply, because i don’t have that much money to spend on a lottery ticket, hoping that it wins my heart.
    Yes, i just called buying games a lottery. In the sense of this:
    Gaming Critic != Me
    Demo != Representative of the full game
    The ratio of shitty games (in my opinion) to good games is around 10:1. And guess what? My opinion is the only one that counts when i’m buying games. Thusly, reviews aren’t enough, and everyone knows demos do not 99% of the time have much to do with the real game.

Concider this.

Demo is like going to a strip club and having the girl take her top off, but before you see most of the bewbs, you need to pay. Let’s say you are required to pay nominal fee of 50€ to see the bouncy brestage. You know there is a 91% chance of her having some kind of weird malformation there, courtesy to South Park episode Asspen. (i know. Not possible. This is an analogy. Bear with it. ) That is the perfect analogy to me downloading games before actually buying them. Trial version fixes this error, as you get to see the bewbs, fondle them too, but only for a limited time, this is the way to get your boobs (game) sold.

PC games, or games to begin with, aren’t the only thing beriddled with people stealing the product and getting away with it. You’re (supposedly) 38, please, get real.

And to not avoid a question, pirating trial games is useless. You’re getting the full version no matter where you download it from.
    And to not avoid another earlier question, i enjoy anonymity, being a legion et.c. et.c.
    I have done game development for approx. 3 years, but my games are neither released in english nor to the wide public, so that wouldn’t matter. I’m much more comfortable as a beta tester (my rap sheet on that is far bigger than in any other area, anyway)