GTA IV PC Release Confirmed (By Me, And I’m Lying)

By John Walker on April 29th, 2008 at 8:11 pm.

As GTA IV enters its extensive beta-testing period on 360 and PS3, the question remains exactly when it will be released on PC.

Sorry PS3 owners, this must suck!

Okay, sure, they’ve yet to announce it for PC, but tradition dictates that it should be with us within the next year. And if that tradition continues, it will be a superior version designed for considerably more handsome people. Well, we’ve been down to the rumour mill, despite hazardous safety conditions and a lack of protective eyewear, and heard that it might be in November.

According to legendary breakfast TV presenter* Chris Evans (via GameRush), a German site is reporting November 30th for a PC release.

How true is this? Well, I’ll decide for the world. It’s 100% true. Now that’s set in stone, Rockstar has an obligation to meet that date or lose significant investment, and as such Take-Two will immediately be bought by EA. It’s serious Rockstar, very serious.

*This might be a lie.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. TychoCelchuuu says:

Good to see an ultimatum. They have no choice but to comply now I guess.

2. Pavel says:

Games.tiscali.cz reported about PC version of Mass Effect first, sometime in january (I think they were first in the world), and it came to be true with all the details being true as well. And on 17.2 they reported that PC version of GTA IV is sure to be made as well, according to their inside source (someone at retail), and is to be released this Fall, so 30. November is very likely.

And with this ultimatum, I really think I should start looking forward to playing it.

3. martin says:

a pc release in november is very likely because of christmas

4. Jim Rossignol says:

Good old Christmas.

5. Noc says:

Good old journalistic integrity!

6. J R Hartley says:

Good old Yellow Pages.

7. Fumarole says:

GTA4 coming to Steam would make me one very happy Russian thug.

8. Kadayi says:

Just from the logistics of making an actual profit on GTA IV I suspect a PC release ‘down the line’ is inevitable (Rockstar alone must of sunk 60 million into development easily). Pre Christmas would tie in nicely with the traditional 6-7 month delay as well. However, I doubt there will be any official news on it, until after Rockstar have delivered on their Autumn cited downloadable content pack(s) for 360 in case it impacts negatively upon XBL sales. MS stumped up a big chunk of change for that exclusive, albeit probably to encourage more 360 unit sales (I understand the 360 versions sold like hotcakes compared to the PS3), they’ll be wanting to see some marked return on it.

Certainly by all accounts a serious contender for GoTY, and a must have when it does hit PC. A Steam release would suit me down to the ground nicely, though I’d be tempted to buy a retail box just for the map.

9. Chris R says:

I’m a PC gamer through and through (Mouse + keyboard FTW!), but I caved and got myself a 360 just so I could play GTA 4. The multiplayer is what sold me on finally getting a console, because I know that the online experience is going to be a blast the first 2 or so months (much like how TF2 was a blast the first 2 months when everyone was still fairly new to the game).

I’ll get GTA 4 when it comes out for the PC too, just because using a keyboard + mouse allows you to be so much more accurate than using a controller. We shall see though, I have yet to play GTA 4 (3 more hours to go at work), so maybe the new targeting system really is ace now.

10. Rook says:

Hate to piss on anyone’s cornflakes* but Associate Producer Nick Hersh at Rockster has said:
    “As for GTA IV coming out on the PC, that’s very doubtful as we currently have no plans to develop for the PC. We could only focus our efforts extensively on so many consoles at once, and PC might not see the light of day.”

Although that would hardly be the first time people keep mum about a PC release down the road.

*This might be a lie.

11. Smood says:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!

12. Kieron Gillen says:

Rook: Trying to confirm that quote with R*.

KG

13. Roman Levin says:

Yeah, absolutely no source on that one.

14. fluffy bunny says:

Maybe they prefer to make games for people who actually buy them instead of downloading everything from piratebay or whatever?

GTA IV would have super-high requirements on the PC (just think of how much San Andreas demanded, and that was a PS2-game to begin with!), so anyone using that excuse for Crysis would no doubt pirate this as well.

Still, I’d buy it (again) if it was released for the PC.

15. born2expire says:

Honestly, this game isn’t as good as everyone is thinking, the camera is worse then the other games, the car physics are almost undrivable and the new combat is just as bad a before (just different), they should have taken the targeting system from Saints Row ie. just a xhair like in a FPS.

Lets not even mention the technical problems this game is having on BOTH the PS3 and the 360 (it would freeze after 5 mins of play on my 360, no matter what i was doing).

16. Larington says:

I understand the issues with freezing on PS3 relates to the 60GB version, dunno about 360.

That aside, I’m borderline ready to join the group of people who are tired of seeing that dreaded scythe wielding piracy ghoul thats in part a self fulfilling prophecy.

Not that I blame them for it, go where the money is and all that, I wouldn’t be surprised if the PC version was specifically released via Steam so as to take advantage of the online activation stuff.

17. Smood says:

Rook I’ve been spreading this around the net and most people say its bullshit. Also on the front page theres an article about GTA4 on PC stating we don’t know if it will happen and not referring to this Nick person.

Usman is a [we'll not call people that thanks - RPS] if he made this all up.

Also I have news for you fluffy bunny, if a 360 and PS3 can run it… its quite manageable for even a midrange PC of today (A modest core 2 duo with an 8800GT and 2 gigs of ram). So pipe down.

18. Noc says:

@Smood: COUGH OPTIMIZATION COUGH.

I mean, look at the Assassin’s Creed requirements.

19. Rook says:

Assassin’s creed runs bloody well on an 8800GT/Core 2 and 2gigs of ram. (1920×1200, 30fps+)

Ubi were just honest about what you needed for a good experience and people jumped over them for it. It runs acceptably on a single core machine even.

20. Chris Evans says:

I am sorry, but despite all my dreams, I am not -the- Chris Evans…I am THE Chris Evans! :D

Regardless, as I mentioned on the blog I have sent off an e-mail to R* but had nothing back yet.

21. Kadayi says:

@Kieron

Save yourself the effort and don’t waste your time, it’s an unsourced bullshit quote, that’s been doing the rounds on various GTAIV for PC threads throughout the interweb causing a panic (I bet this Usman is laughing his ass off, and marveling at the gullibility of people). If you’ve code that will run effectively on a 360 it’s no great shakes to port it to PC, and it’s not like there isn’t the market there.

Next up people will be telling you that there will be no PC version because ‘Rockstar are punishing the GTA PC modders for releasing Hot Coffee!!!’ the other great “OMFG NO GTA IV for PC!!!” rumour currently doing the rounds. It’s always amusing when people anthropomorphize entire commercial organizations into illogical playground bullies.

Given the near universal critical acclaim GTA IV has garnered it could probably do 2-4 million units PC retail quite easily even with an 18 cert (and Piracy issues). That’s potentially £60 – £120 million of almost pure profit, given they’ve paid their costs from the 360 & PS3 versions (maybe more if it’s a Steam exclusive). It would be a very eccentric company that passed up on that kind of money out of laziness or childish spite. Sure I expect the Housers will be treating themselves to nicer cars, but at the end of the day 160 people at Rockstar still need to get paid a monthly wage.

22. Kieron Gillen says:

Kadayi: Well, mail sent anyway. We know the PR, so it’s no hardship.

(I admit, I’ve a little more time for the Hot Coffee fallout thing. I don’t think the “Punish” thing holds true, but it’s kinda notable they haven’t done anything PC since HC. Deciding they lost enough money through that shit and got enough bad press isn’t necessarily illogical. There’s passably good corporate reasons for it, if they don’t.)

KG

23. John Walker says:

Anyway, I’ve announced it as official, so it’s happening even if the quote were true.

24. Kieron Gillen says:

We should develop it ourselves if they don’t.

KG

25. Smood says:

Develop ourselves? wtf…? You realize thats basically not possible right? Well unless you have the engine and game source code of course.

26. Down Rodeo says:

Kidayi: I heard Hot Coffee was the reason that they didn’t release it on the PS2 to punish them for unlocking it from an Action Replay.

Yes, I’m kidding.

27. Kieron Gillen says:

Smood: We would interpret in our own RPS style. Possibly as a text adventure.

KG

28. Down Rodeo says:

A text adventure GTA would be interesting:

>prostitute
    You pick up a prostitute.

Actually, I’m not sure that it’s wise to go further with that.

29. Faust says:

A little chuckle: Got the game this morning, and the first time you… umm…. ‘do the dirty’ with a girl, you unlock the achievement ‘Warm Coffee’…. well it made me laugh.

30. Kieron Gillen says:

Faust: I love Rockstar North sometimes. Like the WEDGE in Vice City.

KG

31. Kadayi says:

I expect they are probably all on holiday after the final push, still some official word or at least a denouncement of the BS would be good.

With respect to the piracy issue, they could take advantage of Valves Steamworks toolset to ensure 0 day piracy and significantly reduce exposure. Take2/rockstar already sell the earlier GTA games through Steam, so there is a relationship there already.

32. cqdemal says:

How many games with Euphoria have been announced for PC? Zero? Are there any possible technical complications to prevent them from arriving on PC?

As for that German retailer thing, I know deep inside that it’s a photoshop and a false announcement, but that’s good enough to make me happy. That’s how desperate I am to play this on PC.

Imagine the modding possibilities…

33. Ed says:

The last two (possibly 3) GTAs have been released on PC almost exactly 6 months to the day after the console release. I’d hope they follow the same here. I’m seriously tempted to buy an Xbox 360 to play it.

Oh, and I have it on good authority that the PC port of San Andreas and Vice City were not started until after the console release (and a few weeks of holiday!). I also believe that the PC port historically has been done by a very small separate group (possibly even one person). This of course may change due to the new engine – I’m not sure we’ve seen any PC releases based on that yet.

34. cqdemal says:

I’m also contemplating the purchase of an Xbox 360 for this game and its allegedly 360-exclusive, GTA: LCS-sized DLCs.

If only Prototype or Mercenaries 2 could come out as early as May or June, then the wait/speculation surrounding this wouldn’t be so… frustrating.

35. Kieron Gillen says:

Ed: Always worth remembering that Vice City was done in 11 months.

KG

36. hoohoo says:

if ea doesnt buy out t2, it will most likely drop oct 30 or before since that is the end of their fiscal year. t2 always try to get their fall games out before the end of their year.

37. MeestaNob! says:

GTA4 coming to Steam would make me one very happy Russian thug.

What would be even better is Steamworks integration for achivements. Think of it (car stunts, M-M-M-M-M-multi kills, the whole magilla).
    Could be amazing, but would they do it for us?

38. cqdemal says:

MeestaNob!: Not entirely impossible, considering the availability of GTA titles on Steam.

39. MaW says:

Microsoft might have tried to put something in the 360 agreement that says they have to use Games For Windows Live to do GTA4 on Windows.

I really hope they haven’t though. I really hope that’s just my evil imagination.

That said, I will be very wary of getting GTA4 for Windows after San Andreas and its utterly dreadful control scheme. Ever tried to fly a plane with the keyboard? Apparently throttle and pitch up are the same key, or something. It certainly behaved that way. Compared to the remarkable intuitiveness of the driving it was like walking into a cliff, and I never got any further through the game than the first mission with those silly RC planes.

Of course it didn’t help that by that point I wanted to kill the main character in a variety of slow and horrible ways. Niko seems rather more sympathetic than CJ.

40. cqdemal says:

GFW Live is evil, but if Microsoft requires it for GTA4 PC, then it’s a necessary evil.

I have never completed a GFW Live title though. Ominous!

41. Butler` says:

Seen the devs play down a PC release on multiple occasions, one of which is above.

Don’t hold ye breath, though I think it would be an extremely silly move not to release on PC.

42. Andrew Farrell says:

MeestaNob: they already have a rake of achievements for the 360, so it would presumably not be that difficult at all.

43. wcaypahwat says:

MaW: Niko is pretty much a bastard smartass with broken english from what I can see. He likes cracking bad jokes though. Top bloke.

44. Kismet says:

Can’t wait to hear more Lazlow (Or Mark. Or John. Or Beverly, whatever his name is)!

(well, actually I can, as I’ll wait for the PC version. Unless Fumito Ueda decides it’s time for me to buy a new console, in that case I may not resist the temptation…)

45. Optimaximal says:

The thing is, the PC wasn’t the only release with the code – both the PS2 & Xbox versions also had it.
    The PC code was just the catalyst for someone to make Action Replay codes for the console – surely the larger distributions of console versions was the real cost behind the recall/fix as the PC version was patched quite quickly.

46. Kieron Gillen says:

The PC allowed it to be found, is the point. Would it have been found as easily and as quickly (so, as harmfully) as it was without the PC? I suspect not.

I just don’t think the “No PC because of Hot Coffee” need be read as simple-minded.

KG

47. Nikica says:

Heh, I did send an e-mail to R* too, but I didn’t get something back.

48. aldo says:

I think the PC allowed the addition of a nudie skin too, which didn’t really help when the ‘scandal’ broke.

49. James T says:

That skin was in the game (in ‘non-nude HC’, they had some lingerie modeled over the top, the ‘nude patch’ removed this). If some tabloid accused Rockstar of the creation of someone else’s nude patch, Rockstar could swiftly and quietly eat ‘em alive in court.

edit: Although, that said, I’m not familiar with the modern twists and turns of libel laws — could tabloids get away with it if they put a question mark at the end of every sentence? : P

“GTA NUDITY AGAIN?”
    “DID ROCKSTAR GAMES PRODUCE THIS SICK GENITAL-EXPOSING FILTH… AGAIN? DID ROCKSTAR RELEASE ON THE 29th APRIL, THE NEW INSTALMENT OF THEIR CONTROVERSIAL ‘GRAND THEFT AUTO’ SERIES, INCLUDING WITHIN IT A VERSION OF THIS WOMAN WITH HER MINGE OUT?”

50. Chris Evans says:

Small update on this here.