The Last Stand 2: The Last Standier

By Kieron Gillen on April 29th, 2008 at 9:53 am.

I enjoyed Zombie Defence game The Last Stand. I enjoy its sequel even more. It’s essentially the same idea, but inching something more complicated. By night, you defend the barricade. By day, you search for survivors, food and supplies. Except now this strategy level isn’t as abstracted, with you choosing where on a map to look. You’re also able to lay traps, equip your survivors with better weapons and – perhaps most brilliantly – work your way across a larger-scale map to go to new towns on the way to the port. Thirty days until the ship leaves. Do you go via the small, quieter town, or pile into the city in search of richer pickings? One day someone’s going to look at the wave of zombie webgames and realise there’s room for a more sophisticated zombie game in the mainstream. Until then, this’ll do nicely, eh?

__________________

« | »

, , , , .

1. Ian says:

This is really a very good game and I can imagine it working as a fully fledged game.

Day-time: Searching buildings, a few instances of zombie-fighting actions, managing your weapons, supplies and building your traps and barricade.

Night-time: I imagine this working in the style of the cabin defence in Resident Evil 4.

2. Lu-Tze says:

I think Dead Rising has “being an awesome zombie game” covered, alas not for PC. Although Left 4 Dead will hopefully fill the hole.

3. Gwyn says:

It’s got a bug in it that’s a bit of a game-breaker, though. I had a go and got through 20 days or so, then started again from the beginning and it stopped adding my fellow survivors to the fight.

That is to say, I had 4 survivors plus myself, and I was fighting alone. You could consider it Hard Mode if you’re that kind of person I suppose.

4. Kieron Gillen says:

Dead Rising is far too small scale of what I’m talking about. I’m talking about Mount & Blade.

KG

5. Dorian Cornelius Jasper says:

*Delivered couched lance damage*
    Zombie suffered 114 damage!

6. Ging says:

I enjoyed this when I played through it last night – though I need to figure out if it’s still got the barrett sniper rifle, suppose that might have been replaced by the m249 or the rpg.

I liked the ability to put down “traps”, though I found myself setting off the gas tanks by accident.

7. Piratepete says:

what do they do during the day then :)

(Pedantry alert)

8. Mark says:

Max Brooks’ World War Z: The Game, FTW!

With a film in the works, could happen…

9. Bobsy says:

Is there no way to increase the brightness? I can’t see a thing.

10. Ian says:

@ Piratepete: They drink coffee all day to give them the energy to get through the night. And discuss tactics.

“You maul his face, I’ll grasp at his kidneys and moan.”

11. Talorc says:

Sheesh, Its a lot harder than the first one. I got to the town before Union City, and just got mauled. The M14 really sucks

12. monkeymonster says:

Why do you taunt me so….. I had things to do today and now this! Bye bye workload – hello barrett :)

13. Radiant says:

I stuck with the ump/chainsaw for me and gave everybody else the other weapons and it went ok.
    The game breaking bug [survivors not helping you] only shows up if you go back to the main menu and start again [so the only way to start again is to hit refresh].
    Things not good: The bug, the random placement of items, the random zombie attacks [fast/slow] and the lack of info on what the weapons do.
    Things that are good: everything else.

14. Ging says:

As per the first one, I went from the pistol to the 357 to the hunting rifle – I only left that when I was a town away from the harbour and found the m249.

15. Kast says:

Grenade launchers, RPGs? I’m so heading to the Fort next time! My first play through, I stuck to the quieter towns and things did not get well, though I did survive.

I found that the traps really weren’t that useful, especially when I set a chain reaction and wasted all my gas tanks.

16. go says:

found on another site, havent checked if it really works:
    “before traveling, at the search option area, put all 12 search hours towards repairs, then travel to the next city. when you get to next city, you’ll have your 12 hours of search plus 12 of repair, select your search spots, then remove the repair hours and use them to search more.”

17. FhnuZoag says:

Dammit, I quit.

There’s a bunch of glaring flaws in the gameplay that just totally piss me off:

1. The fact that in some towns, there isn’t enough supplies to leave once you enter. I note the second to last town, for example, where you can easily not have enough food to move on, making you lose right before the end. It’s compounded by the fact that you aren’t told the distances between towns other than the next one.
    2. The retry behaviour is broken. If you retry, any traps you’ve placed are lost, and worse, any survivors you got killed during the battle are also gone – even if you win, you’ll be unable to rebuild barricades etc. This means that the facility is effectively useless later on, so you have to go back all the way to the beginning near the end. Ideally retry should reset you to the travel/search select screen. Failures often result from bad decisions made there.
    3. Why the heck can’t you change weapon when your gun is out of ammo? It kinda defeats the whole point of having a backup weapon.

Was sort of fun at the beginning, but too frustrating to finish. (Unlike the first game.)

18. Geoff says:

My nitpick would be that holding down the left-click should continue firing, as the clickclickclickclickclick needed to use the pistols is both a carpal tunnel danger, and calls attention to one at work.

But like most others, I should point out this is a small gripe on top of a big pile of awesome.

19. Lightbulb says:

Am i the only one who loses the ability to fire – maybe i clickoutside the window or something but it messes up after about 3 days.

Happened twice now…

20. Sal says:

Its like urban dean…make me happy

21. Cooper says:

I loved the first game, and for a flashie, this is a pretty nifty and detailed one.

As for zombie games; http://www.deadislandgame.com/ may, or may not, turn out to be what we’re waiting for…

22. subman says:

I came across a bug at the end of the round on the second to last town… invisible, unkillable zombie. The only way out is to quit, but it was amusingly confusing to first watch my team unload clips into thin air until our barrier degraded, then leg it, leaving me alone to chainsaw every inch of the scenery in the hope of finding something that would be able to die and end the round.

23. Frosty840 says:

Yeah, I found the same bugs that the last few mention.
    Kind of ruined it for me.

The Retry bug; the fact that running, fat zombies with machetes WILL turn up and WILL kill a survivor before you kill them will activate that bug; the getting-trapped-in-a-town-without-enough-supplies-to-leave; the fact that a late-level running-zombie rush WILL destroy your barricade before you can kill all the zombies; the sheer wastefulness of the explosive traps…

I loved Last Stand 1, and the gameplay and extra depth of Last Stand 2 make it the better game on paper, but the bugs kill it for me.

I suppose it’s good for another “losing is fun” debate (one for the Dwarf Fortress fans, there). Here I’d argue that the “low-level losing” of individual levels often fulfills LiF (Losing AS Fun, maybe?), but the game-killing bugs mean that, at some arbitrary point in the game, it’ll turn out that you just wasted the last twenty or so minutes doing something that the game is going to now make you do again.

Dwarf Fortress, while forcing you to start a new dungeon when killed, at least made it a different dungeon, keeping things fresh. LS2 doesn’t have the same level of potential variety as Dwarf Fortress (what game does?), its weapons are randomly placed, yes, but randomly placed in the same towns each time. It’s the difference between “maybe I’ll find a vein of valuable ore here, or maybe not; this intrigues me and drives me on” and “I didn’t find something I know exists here; this bores and frustrates me”.

Yeah, anyway, enough with the pretending to think. Back to GTA4. I mean work.

I mean GTA4…

24. MeestaNob! says:

Thought for the day, ladies and gentlemen.

If this was merged with Jagged Alliance 2 we would have a monumentally good game.

25. matt says:

Well this one’s pretty neat, really, and is quite advanced and detailed for a flash web game, too.
    It’s true that there are a couple bugs, annoying to say the least; as pointed already, holding the mouse should give continuous fire (it does draw attention when going crazy on the button at work), what really made me mad is i was not able to finish the game yet (or at least try to), as i can’t get pass the third town i hit : after a while, it’s not my survivors that disappear, it’s my very own character, and with it the ability to shoot anything dead… and as fellow survivors seem to be shooting whenever they want, and not for the sake of their lives, it makes things a little difficult..
    Other than that, yes, i do think there is room for genuine games the likes, judging from the amount of time i can spend on games like Boxhead and Last Stand.
    Back to resisting playing at work…

26. Xander77 says:

Does anyone have hints as to what locations to search? So far, I’ve yet to find any guns in places marked with the gun icon, or surivors in houses/apartments, so I’m at a loss.

27. Nimic says:

At a certain point I faced a kevlar-clad unkillable zombie. He was the only one left, but my chainsaw just wouldn’t connect with him, and the other survivors kept shooting at him futilely.

28. Inuyasha1a says:

@ Nimic

To kill the armor baring zombies aim for the legs, thats thier only weak spot.

29. weneer says:

this ganme rocks !

30. fuck fanny says:

this game sucks testies

31. jared says:

hey people here a neat tip if your curious, i suggest going to arcadeprehacks.com and playing The Last Stand 2 there and actually like all zombies there weakness is there brain, sure you can shoot their legs but the secret is to snipe them aka shoot them in their ****ing head. Anyways the Kevlar vest doesn’t make them invincible, it still hurts them to shoot them in the chest it just takes about 3 times more bullets to actually kill them. Either use a high powered gun like the sniper rifle/cougar magnum or use an explosive weapon on the. Explosives including traps get instant kills. I think the most frustrating thing for me personally are the equiped zeds (aka people using melee weapons and wearing kevlar armor/flak jackets). :P hope you like my suggestions.

Comment on this story