EA-Land To Close Borders

By John Walker on April 30th, 2008 at 9:27 am.

Sorry, EA-Land fans.

Eurogamer report that EA-Land, née The Sims Online, is to come to an end. According to a post on EA-Land’s blog, the online world will be entering the /dev/null on August 1st, but for the next three months will be completely free to all players. EA says,

“Since 2002, EA-Land / TSO has attracted a very special group of players (of which you are one) and we certainly appreciate your participation in the EA-Land community. The lifetime of the game has drawn to an end, and now we will be focusing on new ideas and other innovative concepts in the games arena. We’d like to thank everyone who has taken part in this online community as a unique experience in the virtual world.”

If you’re a paying subscriber, EA are attempting to quell your angry tirade by offering you $15 off anything at the EA Store, or three months of Club POGO subscription. This doesn’t appear to be appeasing the regulars, who are making their thoughts known in the comments.

With the recent demise of Disney’s Virtual Magic Kingdom, where now for cutesy, inoffensive online worlds? Did any of our readers play TSO or EA-Land? Any thoughts on the closure?

, , , , .

1. Cigol says:

Read something on another site about the change of name to EA Land being the first step in cancelling the Sims Online. Them not wanting to make headlines about cancelling the aforementioned game I suppose – far fetched? Why did they change the name?

2. heliocentric says:

the name change was to stop “sims game cancelled” causing mass hysteria.

also, they may have been checking the viability.

3. Cutman3030 says:

Didn’t we just discuss Sims making billions of dollars?

What’s the point of closing this down?

4. RichPowers says:

In a past life, I played The Sims Online for about 3 weeks. It was one of the most god-awful games I’ve ever played. This made worse by the hype it received from the likes of TIME magazine, NYT, etc.

5. Kieron Gillen says:

Sims Online was terrible. I gave it something like 37% and I was over-generous.

KG

6. zergl says:

Hello Kitty Online when it goes live?

7. Acosta says:

Would be in the real of the possible to make a postmortem of Sims Online to know what went wrong? I fail to understand what could go wrong with something that looked a safe success on paper.

8. Larington says:

“I never played it, but surely one of the 14 (!) producers of the game will be avaliable to explain this (funny trivia: one of them is Jade Raymond).”

Interesting, I only hope that that and the behaviour of a certain group of scoundrels on the Internet won’t put an apparently very talented producer off of staying in the games industry.

That aside, there aren’t enough relatively innoffensive cute games in the online specific arena in my opinion. Things that allow children from accross the world to meet and shall we say, close the divide of understanding between different cultures…

9. obdicut says:

I was a tester on the Sims Online, at EA. (Maxis built, we tested.)

After playing the ‘game’ for an hour, I assigned myself to checking out the installer, because every moment spent out-of-game was a precious, precious moment.

I did write up the following bugs: “TSO is not actually a game.” “No actual rewards for doing anything means that there is no point to play” and “The ability for users to interact with objects of other users inherently means that massive griefing will always be possible.”

All were closed as “as designed”. There as an absolute certitude on the testing team that the game would bomb, and bomb heavily. Only a few of us accurately predicted that it would also have pedophilia run rampant in it.

Oh, by the way, if the bug is still around (and it was when it shipped) you can install it to your LPT1 printer port. (Don’t do this: windows can’t really manage that memory.)

10. Kieron Gillen says:

The image of horror I’ll take away from my time in Sims Online was a room full of people silently carving gnomes.

KG

11. malkav11 says:

It was fairly clear to me that it was a chatroom with a bladder meter. Why anyone, ever, paid actual physical money for this is beyond me.

12. Stromko says:

Rebranding something and then cancelling it reminds me of what happened to Computer Gaming World. In my opinion, best gaming mag in the U.S., and was still pretty great when it became Games for Windows. 7 issues later, cancelled.

Doesn’t changing the name of your product and destroying the recognition its built up, generally just sabotage its success? CGW for instance was a hardcore gamer’s mag, yes all the games were for Windows but calling it Games for Windows pisses off the majority of us who fugging hate Microsoft.

Who the hell wants to play EA-Life? Makes you sound like a corporate bitch. :)

13. Crispy says:

Testing really is a depressing job sometimes. Half of the time you’re finding stuff that gets totally ignored, no matter how important and obvious (e.g. no main menu mouse support for a port-to-PC), and the other half you’re reading Previews that totally overstate the gameplay and Reviews that are often written by someone who has played the game for 5 minutes and are simply full of lies.

From your comments, it sounds like Sims Online was practically stillborn.