StarGate Worlds Beta Signup

By Jim Rossignol on May 1st, 2008 at 8:51 am.

I have to admit I never quite saw the appeal of the StarGate TV series, but there’s no accounting for taste. It is clear, however, that the gates make the perfect fiction for a science fiction MMO. It’s a fair bet that StarGate World’s creators Cheyenne Mountain are feeling a little nervy in the light of Tabula Rasa’s high-profile lack of success, so perhaps the huge TV show fanbase will be help them along a bit. And, y’know, let’s hope the game is fun too.

Anyway: there’s a beta coming up. “A game is nothing without players. We’re fired up to finally get our game in the hands of the community,” said Dan Elggren, Stargate Worlds studio head. “We’re at the point where we need external testers to take Stargate Worlds to the finish line. Our devoted fans have helped guide us for more than two years through our forums. Together, we’re going to craft a balanced, polished, and most of all, fun game.” I hope he’s right. And I’ll hopefully see you lot in there.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Jonathan says:

Well there’s a whole lot of interest in it on here.

Come on guys! It’s Egyptians in space!

2. Janek says:

I’m conflicted. There’s bugger all actual information on how it plays, so it’ll probably just end up being WoW in space. But on the other hand, it’s Stargate.

3. Nick says:

The appeal was clearly in Richard Dean Anderson’s character.

Well, it carried me happily through 7 of the seasons anyway.

4. Pavel says:

Exactly, I loved the first 8 seasons, the eight one was the best (so you better watch it, Nick).After RDA’s departure and appearance of Ori’s the show started to suck..and I never bothered to finish it.Though it wasn’t Browder’s fault, he was great in Farscape and very good in Stargate..but he just wasn’t O’Neill.

That said, I am curious about the game, even though I loathe MMOGs..I will at least try beta if they choose me and see for myself.

5. Chaz says:

I enjoyed the earlier episodes that had more of a Star Trek exploration style feel to them. Rather than the later seasons, that lost that dip in and out feel, where if you missed an episode you could some times loose the plot of what was going on.

The loss of RDA was a bit of a downer but I thought Ben Browder was a good substitute. What went wrong for me was the story line, where the Goa’uld having finally been beaten, the writers thought they needed to add another major enemy in the form of the Ori. Personally I think they would have been better getting back to the shows basics, of exploration through the Stargates.

I used to be a bit of a fan of the show so I’m eager to see how the game turns out, but I doubt I’ll bother with the beta though. I got fed up of beta’s a long time ago, I reserve my precious gaming time for finished products these days.

6. Pavel says:

I am gonna try beta because its free, I would never be bothered to pay for MMO…as I said, I loathe them, their lack of story and just about everything that makes good games good (for me).I just wanna see whats it gonna be about, and how faithful is it gonna be.

7. MindBrain says:

I’d apply, but I never get accepted into betas ::cries::

8. Anonymous says:

Eh, I’m optimistic, as long as they remember what made Stargate great – SG-1 showing up in a plot that any other show would handle boringly and bantering entertainingly, Thor showing up to flirt with Jack, Daniel dying all the time, a good mix of serious episodes and comedy episodes (the Groundhog Day episode in particular…), and Ba’al.

They can’t really replicate most of those, so hopefully they’ll let you run into the show’s characters occasionally, walk in on Thor and Jack, and cover up any flaws with an extraordinary number of Ba’al clones.

They could do Ba’al as a race, I guess, but then who would play a human?

9. Scandalon says:

MacGyver in Spaaaaaace!

See, this is why I read RPS…I hardly ever actually PLAY games anymore, but reading what’s written about them (here) is “full of win” as the kids say. Plus, I get to find out things like the fact that RDA left SG1 – now I know I need never watch those episodes.

10. davryn says:

Got my beta key coming already…WOOT! tentonhammer.com has them, and they go out every Friday when you sign up. Is it Friday yet? :P

Comment on this story