New Project Origin Trailers

By Jim Rossignol on May 2nd, 2008 at 10:42 am.

Let’s start off with the robot and a SHOGO reference:

Thanks GameTrailers, your game trailering service is never robotic.

And there’s more after the jump.

The spooky environment trailer:

The ebil assassin trailer:

The assassins were always the best things in F.E.A.R.

__________________

« | »

, .

1. Jonathan says:

Woo! Shogu!

I’m finally beginning to get excited. Not so much about the game but by the fact Monolith might be making a return to their fun games or are at least still thinking about them.

Project origin still doesn’t look all that special and thats a really tiny robot all things considered.

2. phuzz says:

Those assassins sure are ebil…
    (sorry)

3. Chaz says:

FEAR did very little for me. Boxy and tedious is how I would describe it.

Going by those videos at least the level design looks better in this new one.

4. Janek says:

The new assassins look rubbish.

Bah.

5. MisterBritish says:

Looks like it would be far more interesting to play AS the assassins.

6. Mooey Poo says:

I really enjoyed FEAR in a totally dumb way, you could just leave your brain outside and enjoy the fighting. It was never, ever scary either, but I did appreciate the maturity of the surprisingly disturbing final twist.

This looks like more of the same though, the engine doesn’t look all that improved over FEAR’s, and the environments still look like an office I worked at in 1974. When I was minus six.

But the proof of the pudding’s in the eating, as they say, and I’m quite looking forward to chomping down on this one with some evaporate milk.

7. Alex says:

The assassins were the scariest thing in it, in that “did I just hear that assassin sound?” kind of way.

I do have to say, I liked the sparse ‘electricity arcing’ effect of the original better, this new-fangled oilslick-rainbow effect looks a bit much.

I wish they didn’t say things like “Enjoy” at the end of those voice-overs – it sounds terribly smug.

8. araczynski says:

EVERY time i watch videos for PO i keep thinking to myself “damn that looks too much like FEAR, a bit dated”. and then I realize that it actually is FEAR2 from more of less the same group of folks.

I guess what really strikes me is that the graphics/engine seems a bit long in the tooth to be rereleased at this point in time as something new….i know i won’t be rushing for this game.

9. The Shed says:

The assassins look far too colourful to be truly scary. It’s like being attacked by a demon covered in flowers and strawberry juice. Never really liked FEAR anyway. Condemned was much more my bag.

10. Cooper says:

The destructible environments seem a little too much like pre-set bits of wall popping away. As tech demo, I’ll just hope that they do something about that. But, still, everytime I see someone try their hand at destructible environments, I shed a tear for voxels, and what might have been…

11. dhex says:

as someone who actually liked fear quite a bit, this stuff is pretty exciting.

nothing beyond a vague fall 2008 release date yet, though?

12. Mooey Poo says:

I didn’t realise it’s essentially the same engine. I think they’ve slipped up there bearing in mind how much it was criticised, and it makes this basically another fucking expansion pack.

13. nakke says:

Open spaces?!? Oh no :S

14. C-N says:

I don’t believe people are complaining about the engine. FEAR was a real system-killer when it came out, and I bet a lot of people still can’t run it smoothly with all the settings turned up.

15. Alex says:

..and I bet a lot of people still can’t run it smoothly with all the settings turned up

You’re right there, but that isn’t necessarily a good sign.

Anyway, the real impressive thing about FEAR wasn’t the story, or the cheap scares, or the graphics – it was the AI. The AI really did manage to surprise me repeatedly.

16. Eric says:

Man, there sure are a lot of FEAR haters around here! To each their own, but FEAR is definitely one of my favorite FPS’s, and I’m really looking forward to this. Solid combat that lets the player be creative, and what are to me simple and well-designed environments are what I really loved, and it looks like those elements are coming back with more polish.

17. Jonathan says:

Reply to C-N
    Yep it really went all out to render a bit of grey and some insane looking rag dolls didn’t it. It isn’t the engine I’m complaining about its the staleness. Compared to NOLF or Shogo or Tron 2.0 the game is so darn miserable looking. At least Condemned managed to use it’s mundainity to make a top class bit of atmosphere without murdering your computer

18. MeestaNob! says:

Looks good, but cant help but wonder “Why not just make Shogo?”

I remember playing the demo, it was a hoot. Could never find the full version though.

19. sbs says:

Alex: I thought so too, but then I read something about the fear AI that disappointed me a little.
    It was about how they basically built the levels around the cover-system they built into the AI and not the other way around, so it was essentially just trickery.
    Of course, the effect still is the same, but I was a bit guttet that the AI was actually not smarter or too different from any other game.

20. David says:

The game doesn’t look that much better than FEAR, it’s true, but Monolith’s shooters have never really been about the graphics (other than the original FEAR, which was pretty but also rather poorly coded). They’re more about the style and fun, which FEAR had in droves (fun, that is, shooting black-clad soldiers in office buildings and warehouses won’t win points for originality anywhere). Hopefully PO does more than the drab expansions for expanding the gameplay while still keeping the fun of the original.

Although with more open environments, it sounds like I won’t be able to enjoy as many slow motion shotgun headshots. Pity.

21. Alex says:

That is interesting, I never thought about that. I wonder how the AI has been tweaked (if it has been) for the “new” more open environments.

Other commenters have already mentioned several Monolith games that have more interesting art direction (which I personally think is much more important than how well the graphics engine can create a sort of photorealism) – Tron 2.0, the No One Lives Forever games (never played Shogo myself). Tron and NOLF were by definition of their IP more colourful and, dare I say it, sassy, but they could’ve done more with the art design of FEAR, I feel, but it’s obvious that wasn’t were their priorities lay.

22. Duoae says:

I’m increasingly not liking the look of Project Origin. The first two trailers are fine but the mech trailer? It just makes me think of the section in AvP2 when you use the combat walker – which i felt was kinda tacked on to the gameplay. The art style of outside reminds me a bit of Red Faction 2 and the player character is a beefed-up guy with minimal armour (nothing on his Popeye-esque arms?) and a Ghost recon/Halo style HUD.

I just hope this game isn’t a piecemeal mish-mash of other games.

23. DigitalSignalX says:

FEAR fanboy as well. As bad as some of the horror FPS’s have been in the past, FEAR and it’s expansions were always above par.

Comment on this story