Blizzard Digi Downloads

By Jim Rossignol on May 6th, 2008 at 10:31 am.

Blizzard have announced some lovely digital downloads via their online shop. Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos and Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne cost $20 each (about £10) and Starcraft is up there for $15 (about £7.50). Not bad, but I recall buying the CD version of Starcraft (minus Broodwar, come to think of it) for about £3 off Amazon a while back…

, , .

1. Cargo Cult says:

Continuing the fine Western tradition of all game boxes having a barely relevant character portrait on, I see…

2. UncleLou says:

Seeing how these boxes are between 5 and 10 years old, I am not sure how they continue anything at present. :)

They were available with different portraits, depending on what faction you prefer (or what your gamesshop had in store).

3. Dolphan says:

Arthas irrelevant to Warcraft 3?

I would be very tempted if I wasn’t pretty certain I’ve got my original copies somewhere.

4. Pete says:

I’d be very tempted too, but both Starcraft and WC3 don’t need the CD anymore, hence I patched my copies and stuck the discs in a folder forever more. :)

5. Sacrovir says:

It’s a strange phenomenon that downloadable games are the same price, or more expensive than physical product. Working for a replicator, i know that these items cost less than a pound each which is something i wouldnt mind paying, but of course you have distribution, the publisher and the shop all adding their costs too.

I’m no expert regarding what online distribution costs (re server maintenance, backup, agreement with parent publishing company Vivendi etc…) but i still find it surprising.

6. trioptimum says:

“Starcraft Anthology”?

Devaluing the word ‘anthology’ to near-meaninglessness.

7. Rob says:

@Pete

Son of a gun, so they don’t … I’ve been putting them in (and toting them around) assuming that they did.

8. Leelad says:

Never played Starcraft but that chappie right there IS warcraft. Infact you set me racking my brain for someone you could put on there who means nothing to either game. Hogger?

9. Optimaximal says:

I find it amazing that despite the QA they probably put into the website, they still failed to recognise that UK Postcodes CAN consist of 7 characters!

10. Alex says:

$20? Seems a bit steep, for a game that old.

Blizzard needs the money, I guess.

11. Nick says:

“Continuing the fine Western tradition of all game boxes having a barely relevant character portrait on”

Buh? As mentioned, the central plots of W3 and Forzen Throne revolve around that guy. The Protos are fairly important to Starcraft and Kerrigan is also extremely significant to Brood War.

So.. a really big WTF?

I already have all these anyway, seems a little pricey compared to what you can get them for on budget in the shops too.

12. Optimaximal says:

The games all still go for ~£15 at retail. Thats ~ $25-$30 in that clown money you deal in!

The news post forgets to mention one crucial thing!

Once you register an account, you can enter your retail keys from the boxes and have unlimited access to the download copies. Rumour also has it that entering an older retail StarCraft key could net you a copy of the Anthology, which included Broodwar!

13. Nick says:

You can get Warcraft 3 and Frozen Throne together for £15 total in game at the moment.

14. Optimaximal says:

I thought they were in the 2-for-£25 offer… I must be mistaken :)

15. MeestaNob! says:

Dear Blizzard,

Steam please. NOW.

That is all.

-Everyone

16. Nick says:

My first copy of starcraft came without a CD key. Thankfully Starcraft had a bug in it’s CD key thing where you could enter a certain thing (being vague in case they never fixed it) and it would work reguardless. So that saved me having to return the bloody thing.

17. zima says:

Hm seeing those prices I really have no reason to postpone shelling out for Starcraft, since the pack with Warcraft2 bnet edition+Diablo+Starctaft+Broodwar is for some reason ~15€ here.

But it’s hard to do it when I actually bough Starcraft few years back already and there’s still remote chance of retrieving it ;P (damn, couldn’t they split the pack into individual games?)

oh, and Kerrigan…unimportant?!