Fallen Empires Trailer

By Jim Rossignol on May 6th, 2008 at 3:19 pm.

We’re going to be talking a lot more about Instant Action in the coming weeks, but the game I’m most interested in right now is still in the beta stages. Hopefully, the late beta stages as Fallen Legions been “Coming Soon” for quite some time now. The idea of a freshly reduxed Tribesalike game does tickle my fancy. After the jump: that new video.

Not a brilliant trailer by any stretch of the imagination, but I’ve got a distinct feeling that we’re going to have a server full of RPS readers pretty much the second this comes online for general consumption. Browser-launched 3D that performs well is a pretty much a reality, and I’ve been messing around with the games that are already up there for a couple of weeks. Nothing particularly amazing, but Marble Blast kept me busy for an hour or two. You lot should go sign up and let me know what you think about it.

I caught the Fallen Legions demo at GDC in February and I’ve been thinking about it ever since: could Battlefield Heroes, Quake Zero, and Fallen Legions wake up gamers from their WoW-slumbers and get us all shooting again? Maybe, just maybe.

, .

1. Thingus says:

This game is the only reason I first signed up for Instant Action. Imagine my sadness when it wasn’t there…

Ah well, Brain Tanks and the marbly one are good too :D

2. Chris Evans says:

Finally got round to registering! Evo_Wales is me :D

3. Ging says:

I’ve been wanting this since Tim Aste first dropped some images from an early, early version on his GarageGames blog.

I just hope that it really does stay true to it’s obvious Tribes routes!

4. Cooper says:

I remember Phosphor (http://www.rasterwerks.com/) from (way…) back in 2006, proving it could work (well) and leaving many heads scratched as to why no one was jumping on the idea.

I hope whoever was behind that is earning silly amounts developing these 3D, browser-based FPS games for someone else now.

5. cyrenic says:

Man, I can’t wait to see if that’s as much like Tribes as it looks. I still don’t understand why it was so hard to make a faithful update to that game, maybe it’s finally arrived.

6. Logic says:

I signed up for InstantAction a while back when it was in beta for this alone, now I’ve been WAITING for them to finally put it out. I’m excited.

7. Munin says:

Maybe I’m alone on this, but I’d much rather prefer it to be a stand alone game. That it’s somehow dependent on and working from within my browser is just…I don’t know, I don’t really like the thought.

8. Muzman says:

What’s the big deal about it being ‘browser based’ ? Isn’t it browser based rather like flash stuff is browser based thanks to the plugin that renders the engine in your browser window? Or have they some extra fanciness that means they need the whole thing and letting you download a small client instead wouldn’t work at all?
    (questionsquestionsquestion!)

9. orta says:

Muz:
    Its just a relatively novel concept at the moment, Quake 3 is coming to the browser too, and the Unity engine lets you make them in the browser / OSX’s Dashboard.
    It is just a plugin that you install, so there’s no advantage in locked down computers.

10. Fat Zombie says:

Dagnabbit! Am I the only one who noticed that the music for this trailer is a subtly changed-version of the theme from MGS2: Sons of Liberty?

For comparison: http://youtube.com/watch?v=Q4d-LYsZXzk&feature=related )

Maybe I have listened to it too many times! But anyway, awesome-looking game. I liked Tribes: Vengeance.

11. Bisor says:

I’m hoping this game is NOTHING like Tribes: Vengeance! Irrational completely fudged that one and abandoned much of what made Tribes so special.

12. Logic says:

Also for those who have already signed up, InstantAction just sent out an email about the open beta, make sure to respond quickly!

13. Senethro says:

Not a Tribes fan and all the rabid Tribespeak that may accumulate here just leaves me cold, but I’m always happy to see new FPS and experimental business models.

14. Dorian Cornelius Jasper says:

Fat Zombie:

No. No, you’re not the only one. And the changes aren’t subtle–I picked up on the resemblance the instant the music started playing.

15. KBKarma says:

I saw the word “Tribes” and my gaze fixed upon this article like a pin to a butterfly’s wing (sorry if that offends you. Or, y’know, you’re a butterfly).

This looks like lots of Tribesy goodness. Seriously! Those levels look like Spawn of Katabatic and The Return of Beggar’s Run!

All I need is a Spinfusor, and I’m home.