Mirror’s Edge: In Motion

By Kieron Gillen on May 6th, 2008 at 7:33 pm.

Kick! Punch! It's All in the mind! We're a PC Games Site and this reference is out of our jurisdiction.

We’ve expressed our excitement before, but the first public footage of DICE’s Mirror’s Edge has just gone live at some console-show-thing. Rhymes with Tony. That one. To recap – it’s a free-running first-person action game, based around the noble art of Le Parkour, which is French for Running About Like A Mad Fucker. Trailer and some more notes beneath the cut…

Things to note – the colour-scheme is clean, which is trying to create a different sort of Dystopic mood and to make information clear. Look for the colour red, which signifies the optimum route across the map. At least in the footage, it’s a lot more naturalistic than many thought when it was first mentioned in Edge’s hefty feature. The combat is a little teased rather than displayed, but the game’s apparently much more about the Running Away than the Making Them Run Away.

I’m still excited, in short: It’s a first person game that manages to i) look like nothing else while still looking ii) realistic, which is the sort of thing that’s fun to wave in the face at the imagination=unreality brigade (I have sympathy for the position, but the absolutism is getting a bit cloying, isn’t it?).

I’m also very glad I don’t get motion sickness in games.

__________________

« | »

, .

1. Jacques says:

I’ve watched this trailer about 10 times today, looks like a great game, and I love the music used.

2. tof says:

There was a game based on the ‘yamakasi” (the french guys who have developped this kind of skill) called Free Running ( http://www.freerunning.com ). I hope they have kept the best ideas but the video doesn’t show a lot of things… the city is pretty empty and the level design poor.

3. Scandalon says:

Good God you lot are a bunch of whiners…judging from what we know/have been shown, it’s not another “shoot, blow up, shoot some more” game, has colors other than brown/grey/grey-ish brown, and has a unique aesthetic…

“Oh noes, one level is mostly white, the whole game is white!”

“Ack, there’s a slo-mo section in the trailer – it must be bullet-time, which means it’s MaxPayne and FEAR smashed together”…

(I get the feeling the combat/disarming is more a “oops, you messed up a few too many times, now you got caught and have to deal with this…” giving you a way out, rather than just “you got caught, try again”.)

Looks loverly, and different. Music gives it a semi-nice (optimistic?)mood…along w/ the character design, (I think is what is doing it) gives it a vaguely “Japanese” game feel. So quit yer complaining, and applaud the devs, (and even EA for greenlighting it.)

Of course, if they cock it up and it ends up being shite, then by all means, let them know that too. :P

4. Radiant says:

Nice! When’s it out?

5. MeestaNob! says:

Trailer is gorgeous.

I hope that theres almost nil combat unless as a last resort, and that gun play is minimal (as said upthread, pray for batons instead). The first person viewpoint is perfect for this, please don’t include a third person view just for the pervs.

And to the dingbats complaining about her heavy breathing, SHE JUMPED OFF A BUILDING YOU PILLOCKS. The music is perfect, too.

Looks promising this does (and hope EA throw away that SecuRom shit by the time this is ready for to hit the stores).

6. Saflo says:

What MeestaNob! said. And I’d rather they force you to find clever ways to avoid combat, but “whatever,” as the kids say.

7. Down Rodeo says:

I think it looks awesome. Hopefully they’ll get the balance between confrontation and running right; but to all those that complain about combat being in there at all I’d say that it could provide just a slight change of pace to keep things fresh. Because, you know, we all have tiny attention spans nowadays.

Also in reference to the ‘optimal paths’ idea: I’d quite like it if the red highlights were the obvious, easy paths to get you into the game- somewhat like Portal’s early testchambers introducing you to the game mechanics, though this could deviate somewhat by allowing you to seek out better paths once you feel like a Master :)

Personally I feel I’d have more fun knowing that I choose my own route rather than going along a predetermined one- or at least once I know what I’m doing. I don’t think I’d attempt it on the first play through/few levels.

8. drunkymonkey says:

Mirror’s Edge continues to by my most waited for game of 2008. The animations in that trailer, from the frenzied running, to the close quarters combat were all very, very impressive, and the atmosphere…oh my god the atmosphere is just so fresh and lovely it’s beyond words.

It’s just a game that shouts “cool!” and “woah!” at me, as if I’m 7 again.

9. aldo says:

“I also admit concern at the diving back firing instance, because not only is there not a chance she could hit anything, but the way she holds the gun… well, you try holding something at that angle and see how uncomfortable it uses and stupid from anyone else looking. ”

Of course, it could be that using guns is not so much about killing people, but making them back off and stop chasing you for a few seconds – so the accuracy could be pretty much irrelevant.

10. Jonathan says:

Reply to aldo
    It *could* be except the person is clearly hit by these bullets in the video.

11. Gnus says:

Not to burst anyones bubble, but Tom Farrer of EA / DICE has explicitly explained in an interview that its not going to be an open world / sandbox game.

12. Tjoms says:

Jonathan: Whereas by the positioning of the gun the bullets *should* at one point be going through the PC’s own leg..
    (to my eyes anyways)

13. tmp says:

The best thing about the whole game:

It’s got a female protagonist with small breasts. Wow, game developers are growing up at last.

Hardly when it’s just replaced with emo makeup, “cool” tattoos and “fight against the system” meme.

On the game itself not really sure what’s there to get excited about. 3d platform jumping with “combat” sequences that look as bad as any melee encounters rendered in first person perspective. The graphics are nice, but it’s good textures and lighting on simple shapes, not above and beyond of any other modern game starting from HL2.

14. Crane says:

…Hardly when it’s just replaced with emo makeup, “cool” tattoos…

You’re actually judging a game based on the fact that you don’t like the protagonist’s makeup?

…”combat” sequences that look as bad as any melee encounters rendered in first person perspective.

And you can tell the combat sequences are bad how exactly? Their quality is dependant on the execution of the controls, and you have no way of knowing how good those will be yet.

In a way this game makes me think of Beyond Good and Evil… one where 90% of gameplay and fun were replaced with high resolution textures and pre-calculated radiosity, but little else.”

…?
    Uh, what? Which game were you playing?

Incidentally, your dislike of this games use of the “fight against the system meme”, coupled with your dislike of Beyond Good and Evil, another game with the same core story concept makes me wonder: what country are you from?

15. tmp says:

No, my reply was in reference to comment about mental growth of game developers. Simple replacement of one set of standard attributes that used to be cool with another set that is considered cool now simply ain’t sign of said growth, imo. If anything, the opposite.

I’m talking about the visual aspect of the combat sequences — that’s why i said they look as bad, etc. I’d hope a video of the gameplay can be considered a good indicator of what things look like, wouldn’t you agree?

…?
    Uh, what? Which game were you playing?

Neither of these two, at the moment. What made me think of Beyond Good and Evil was the basic storyline presented so far by the devs — a female protagonist caught up in sinister plot of totalitarian government etc … except this game (again, from available info) appears to be more limited in scope and focusing mostly on the “jump from platform to platform in correct order buildind up and conserving momentum” kind of puzzle/play. While Beyond Good and Evil had such “run from bad guys” sequences, but also offered multiple other ways of entertainment and gameplay mechanics. Hence the ‘BGaE minus most of fun, plus better graphics’ remark.

I’m part of Skynet AI, scanning the internet for signs of human insurgency that need to be squashed. Seriously, what sort of answer did you expect to that?

Incidentally, your comments made me wonder if you truly managed to misunderstand every single sentence i wrote. So just to clear up this final confusion, i haven’t said i disliked Beyond Good and Evil. To the contrary, it’s one of games i hold in esteem for number of reasons. Neither i’ve said i disliked the “fight against the system meme” — it’s just simply such a cliche, the use of it re-affirms the game developers are still firmly stuck in the box with most shallow character concepts.

Comment on this story