Portal +40

By Alec Meer on May 7th, 2008 at 11:27 am.

[Stares down-page in faint terror.] What a lot of arguments we’re going to have today. So, for those of you currently visiting us in search of gaming rather than debating, hopefully this will do the trick.

The chaps behind the splendid Flash version of Portal have generously converted their 2D maps into 3D versions for Portal-actual. All 40 of them. At three and a half hours of happy puzzle-solving, this mega-pack is pretty much equivalent to Portal itself in terms of length. In terms of quality? You tell me.

__________________

« | »

, .

1. subedii says:

Well it’s arguable that half the fun of playing Portal was GLaDOS and the generally witty writing. The reason that Portal was so short wasn’t that they couldn’t come up with new ideas for puzzles, it was because they felt they had reasonably and tidily explored all the ideas offered by the Portal Gun and anything else would be re-treading old ground.

Anything beyond that in terms of levels is just for the sake of the puzzles themselves.

Of course, you’re looking at an old-skool Lemmings fan, so puzzles are something I can jump in on. Downloads away!

2. Flint says:

I was quite disappointed at the shortness of the game because the puzzles were the main thing for me in the game (even if GLaDOS was lovely). This should fix that lack.

3. nakke says:

This is quite awesome nevertheless. Yeah, a big part of the game was of course the writing and GLaDOS, but I did enjoy solving the puzzles a whole lot too.

4. Monkfish says:

Must… resist extra… Portal content… Sunny… Outside…

Gnnnnnnnnnhh!

5. roBurky says:

This is quite hard. It needs a lot more ultra-precise rapid portal placing, and similar.

6. The_B says:

So. Piracy eh?

(Sorry, couldn’t resist.) :(

But on a serious note: I concur with Monkfish. Having my final two Uni assignments of the year to do this week as well doesn’t help matters. DAMN YOU REAL LIFE!

7. Chris Evans says:

Damn uni exams and bust PC! :(

8. MeestaNob! says:

Did you get all the achievements etc? I find all the ‘extra’ levels are about 10x longer than the actual game.

9. Ton Yennuf says:

Yet another example of quality PC gaming dumbed down for the brain-dead console gamers that dwell at newgrounds and kongregate. Except this time we get to enjoy their backwash. Excuse me while I try to contain my enthusiasm.

I’ll bet the idea of actually PAYING for a game feels unnatural to people that have been taught that game content has no value by things like this. No wonder all the good PC game devs like Epic, Crytek and Blizzard are going bankrupt and giving up on the platform.

And as if that wasn’t bad enough, they’re furthering the idea that everything on the PC is free. The rampant DUMPING PRACTISES by these kinds of level-making SCRUBS are putting REAL designers out of business. But hey, good for those people RICH enough that they can AFFORD to give their hard work away while encouraging a business environment that lets the rest of us STARVE.

10. Kieron Gillen says:

Ton: You win today’s sarcasm prize.

KG

11. Rob says:

I was sincerely hoping that all the capitalised words would spell out a message: alas.

12. MeestaNob! says:

Sarcasm detector: OFF THE CHART.

13. Therlun says:

A bit too much flinging…

14. Humboldt says:

It’s definitely not as polished as the highly shiny original, and the straight conversion from 2D to 3D has made some of the levels a lot harder because in 2D you don’t have to worry about the orientation of your viewpoint. And re-using the glados voice-overs makes it seem that she’s just a tape recorder rather than an insane AI, spoiling the atmosphere (and retro-actively spoiling the main game) a bit. But if you’re a story fanatic you can just turn the sound off.

Despite all that, it’s good quality puzzling and well worth a go if you want more portal. Try the ren_test maps first though.

15. Mman says:

There’s been some great Portal custom maps, but this is definitely the best overall I’ve played. I found the challenge perfect; harder than the original (and with some new mechanics too, which shows it’s possible to expand the base gameplay with some ingenuity), but still fully possible without a walkthrough, plus it sticks to puzzles and keeps irritating twitch portalling to a minimum (it’s done a few times, but more as a change of pace than suddenly relying on “normal” FPS skills).

I played the flash game after and this is definitely very faithful, however, the best part is that it greatly expands on that game and adds a ton of new content and puzzles, along with some story twists (which takes some liberties with the Portal canon). If you play this then you’ve already seen pretty much everything the flash version has (playing it after I found it a bit annoying at times, with some of the bugs and general clunkiness that comes with being a flash game). The only things I found kind of annoying is that one part temporily disables your gun, which resulted in me looking for a bunch of convoluted solutions to the situation I was in when all you had to do is wait for it to activate again, and a couple of parts where surfaces were harder to portal than they were apparently supposed to be.

Edit: I don’t really agree with it being harder than the flash version. The only level I thought was harder than in the flash version was the final maze level (since it’s completely different when you don’t have the full picture). Despite knowing what to do I still found most of the flash version much harder than the “3D” version, namely because the mechanics of the “real” portal are far more robust, so executing things is mostly relatively easy after you know what to do (along with being able to save anywhere as a bonus), while half my problems in the flash version came from getting around some of the slightly dodgy mechanics.

16. ehlo says:

This really shows the wisdom of Valve not cracking down on the blatant IP violation that was flash portal – the team ended up making the real portal more attractive.

17. Bob Arctor says:

SPOILER!

I’m stuck on the room where you are sitting on the button to open the door in front of you, after the victory elevator…

18. KingMob says:

Haven’t played this yet.

However, a comment on the Portal mechanic just ’cause I can:

I’d like to see an ‘andrenaline’ button so we can slow down time temporarily to make shots that would otherwise be very difficult. Personally, I can often ‘see’ the solution but I can’t do it because I’m too much of a spaz – can’t hit the target in time as I bounce up and down.

19. Valentin Galea says:

KindMob i thing you got an excelent idea there: Portal meets Timeshift! :D

20. Heliocentricity says:

Now i have to reinstall portal, damn you!

Is it hard for you to understand that i have too many games to play?

21. itsallcrap says:

And I have to reinstall Half-Life 2.
    And then I’ll have to play through it again because I did.
    I’m a busy man, you know.

22. Ben says:

There is a time-dilation mod for Portal, makes cool sounds, blooms the screen, and slows you down.

Cheats have to be on, though, so you can’t use it to try for better run times.

23. Riotpoll says:

Haven’t had time to play them yet; Sun + Beach (with a little revising for Uni exams) wins over playing portal all day.
    I did try the Flash one a while ago though and it was good fun.

24. Mario Granger says:

Some things that this custom map set has shown me about Portal:

-I can see now why Valve didn’t include many hazards in the main game, it turns the entire experience into a quicksaving slog. Get the timing of that jump right! Make sure you do it PERFECTLY or you won’t get the distance to beat that deadly electrical field! I see why the makers of this put these hazards in, to add a sense of urgency to the game, but I don’t think it works very well.

-Playtesting is important. Many of these puzzles aren’t very intuitive, and require some rather obtuse thinking to get past. Or worse, requires you to notice rather minute details in the area you’re in, while a wall is about to crush you. Although I’m sure many gamers enjoy that, so I’ll chalk that one up to personal preference.

Comment on this story