Lord Of The Rings: Conquest

By Jim Rossignol on May 8th, 2008 at 5:48 pm.

Lord Of The Rings: Conquest is a Battlefield/front type game set in the Tolkien universe currently under development by Pandemic Studios. “Our experience creating massive, rich, action-packed games means that The Lord of the Rings: Conquest will give fans exactly what they want: full control of the blade, bow and magic to fight its epic battles any way they want – even if they choose to play from the evil side,” said Pandemic’s Josh Resnick. And who wouldn’t play as a orck (yes, I’m going with a franchise-neutral spelling from now on), that’s what I want to know. Anyway, more details and screens after the jump.

Pandemic, who are also hard at work on the excellent-looking Mercenaries 2, will be in charge of turning LOTR into a multiplayer battle game, and therefore face the eternal conundrum of how to avoid making melee combat work properly.

“Our Pandemic Studios creative teams have years of expertise bringing giant battlefields to life,” says Andrew Goldman, Pandemic Studios co-founder and general manager. “We’ve always wanted to harness our experience in a fantasy universe with warriors, archers, mages and castle sieges. Of course, there is truly no better fantasy world to recreate than the enormity of ‘The Lord of the Rings’ realm.”

I’m a bit sceptical about how good this can be: the Battlefront games always underwhelmed me, and I can’t really see the game managing to deliver more than rough skirmishes – the thunderous collision of ranks of fantasy soldiers seen in the movies is clearly right out. Middle Earth: Total War please, Gaming Overlords.

And some more images, click for the full beast.

, .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. drunkymonkey says:

If you’re looking for a game like that, Jim, then the mod for RTW is still alive and kicking: http://www.moddb.com/mods/6994/the-lord-of-the-rings-total-war

Surprised it hasn’t drummed up more support here, actually!

Anyhow, I agree about the scepticism, although my first thought when reading the premise was “completely awesome, yo!” and the fact that this is based on the movies is a nice thing too – Battle for Middle Earth happened so long ago.

2. BBoy says:

they should work on the lighting, it looks like ass!!!

3. Biggles says:

Those graphics with mount and blade style combat, please. And a packet of crisps.

4. terry says:

It’ll be interesting to see how this turns out – Battlefront is still one of the games that gets the heaviest play at our LAN meets (although that may be down to the sarlak pit, which is probably the best jumping puzzle ever).

5. cyrenic says:

Mounted combat a la Mount and Blade would make this worth playing, as long as they made the collision/targeting a bit more polished.

6. brog says:

Looks too much like a typo of “rock” for me.

7. Nick says:

Yeah, I enjoyed the Battlefront games but only either alone or with a friend on LAN as a sort of Star Wars toybox type thing. As MP games they were rather poor..

Is it true about BF3 being made by the Timesplitters chaps?

8. Cruz says:

This is relevant to my interests.

I do wonder though, how they will pull off the melee combat, and what perspective it’ll be in. Jedi Outcast vs Oblivion come to mind. Keep up the coverage RPS, thx.

9. Evan says:

I think that most people completely miss the appeal of a game like this, or like Battlefront. Personally, I’m drawn to a multiplayer game with a backstory. I mean, look at the most popular multiplayer shooters out there. TF2, CoD4, CS:S … even Halo. In those games, your characters have no story. They are faceless, nameless war machines.

What I liked about Battlefront is that you had the chance to be somebody. Your character wasn’t just “Soldier”. You had a history, and a style to live up to.

That gets me excited, in a nerdy kind of way. So I’m looking forward to this game in the same way.

10. drunkymonkey says:

“Is it true about BF3 being made by the Timesplitters chaps?”

Nah, they’re too busy making Haze and TS3.

11. sana says:

Pandemic? The guys who brought us Dark Reign II? I’m intrigued.

12. Dorian Cornelius Jasper says:

I’m fairly certain I’d like this a lot more than I do the Battle-blank games. Because I loved those games, I just hated the fact that I had to live with vehicles ruining my fun. But I could live with horses, sure. Especially if the game has lances.

*Delivered couched lance damage!*
    Uruk-hai takes 142 points of damage.

13. cqdemal says:

You think Middle-earth: Total War. I think LOTR Dynasty Warriors.

Awesome announcement anyway.

14. Armyofnone says:

Please, please have Mount and Blade style combat. Please.

15. Al3xand3r says:

The screens make it look like a Mount&Blade modification. I do hope it plays as good as that (mounted combat ftw) but on the other hand I don’t want something that will undermine Mount&Blade itself as that game also deserves the public’s attention and the upcoming retail version has to sell well. Sure they have a completely different style (but who knows, maybe multiplayer is one of the things they want for Mount&Blade 2 or whatever) but I’m sure that if Mount&Blade gets released after this and the combat is actually similar, the ignorant mainstream press will just call it a low budget Conquest rip off or something. And that’s just not right.