Look On My Works, Ye Mighty…

By Alec Meer on May 9th, 2008 at 11:36 am.

Activision are the new kings of gaming hill, they claim – in America at least. They’ve just published their results for the last financial year, and, well, they’ve made lots of money. More than any other publisher. Primarily from Guitar Hero III and Call of Duty IV, by the sounds of it. Admittedly they’re number one for console and handheld, not PC, but we can surely expect their swollen coffers to impact their future PC releases.

With the looming Activision-Blizzard merger promising yet more terrifying strength for the publisher, will there come a day where we start to think of former champs EA as some sort of underdog? Unlikely – a giant monolithic corporation is still a giant monolithic corporation. It must be said that they’re backing some surprisingly inventive games of late, however – Battlefield Heroes, Spore, The Sims 3…

Back in Activision-land, they’ve made a few (entirely expected) announcements off the back of their happy money day: Call of Duty 5 and Guitar Hero IV have been confirmed. Gossip has it the former won’t be handled by Infinity Ward and will see a return to World War II (“We’ll bring the intensity of the recent Call of Duty: Modern Warfare title to a new military theatre” is all we’ve got), while there’s rumours the latter will involve some extra instruments. Ooh. Hopefully it’ll come to PC so we have something like Rock Band to call our own – nothing says ‘cool’ like four pretend musicians clustered around a 19″ monitor. Hopefully too, unlike GH3, it’ll be optimised to work on something other than high-end mega-rigs.

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. Gap Gen says:

So only the power-of-two CoDs will be any good? Works so far, but it will be disappointing having to wait three titles, then seven…

2. Colthor says:

On my works.

I’m looking forwards to that like-Guitar Hero-but-with-real-guitars game, that I’ve forgotten the name of. Just to add something vaguely relevant to make it look like I’m not just being pedantic.

3. Ging says:

It’s a shame that they’re taking a backward step with CoD5 and going back to WW2 (and Treyarch) I’d rather wait 2 years for IW to do another one in all honesty.

4. Arsewisely says:

Is it called Tabcrawler? You know, the browser based guitar game?

5. MeestaNob! says:

Dear EA,
    Remove SecuRom and all it’s evils and we’ll make you #1 again.

-Everyone

6. Colthor says:

@Arsewisely:
    No, not heard of that one?

Just remembered where I heard of it; it’s Guitar Rising.

7. Mike says:

Ugh! I’m so annoyed they’re going back to WWII. I’ve shot enough Nazi’s dammmit!

8. Heliocentric says:

Cod5 console only then?

9. Arsewisely says:

Colthor, it was a joke which has obviously seriously backfired. I must now go and shoot myself in the mouth. If you’ll excuse me…

10. Nick says:

Power Tab or Guitar Pro might have worked better.

Who knows =)

11. Colthor says:

Oh! *Gets it, belatedly*

Sorry >.>

12. RichPowers says:

According to IGN, CoD5 will be released for the PC and 5 other platforms. Hopefully it won’t turn out as yet another WWII shooter :/

13. Rob says:

Should that be “Look on my works, ye mighty”?

14. The Sombrero Kid says:

em they aren’t going back to WWII that’s why they said a NEW theatre and tetriarch are not making it cause they’re making a new game based on the same engine however they haven’t said what Infinity Ward are going to be doing so it could be them or it could be someone else enirely

15. Steam Report says:

I can’t believe they will call it COD5, it does spoil the linear progression of the series. Maybe they should just spin off a separate WW2 COD series and let Treyarch handle that while IW focus on the main series in the modern setting.

16. Taxman says:

Well via the surfer girl rumour site Treyarchs COD5 has actually gotten some work put into it and might not be phoning it in this time (emphasis on might).

I wouldn’t count on Activision to be super enthused about the PC only 6% of their profits came from PC titles, the vast bulk was from console titles (at least the PC beat out the hand-helds). Also Bobby Kotick has stated that they will be focusing on owned or proven IP’s not new ones.

Edit: I suck dont know how to make links in text above work

17. Rook says:

100% increase in revenue from only a few titles Quake Wars, Spider Man 3 and Call of Duty 4 is probably pretty good. There’s a lot of potential for growth there.

18. Janek says:

Hmm. The only “new” theatres I can think of that’d be particularly viable commercially are firstly the Pacific theatre in WW2 – clearly room for American and British/ANZAC campaigns, and possibly even Soviets in pre-war skirmishes (training) and the finale.

Or of course Vietnam. Which could be controversial, but with CoD4 they have touched upon sensitive areas a bit. With the tight, cinematic scripting of the rest of the series, and modern technology, they could probably come up with something pretty powerful.

19. Kommissar Nicko says:

I was looking forward to Call of Duty 5: Carpathian Front. Alas, the Great War will have to wait.

20. Chaz says:

They’d have to make some major changes to the CoD series to ever get me interested again. Especially getting rid of that, never ending stream of bad guys until you hit the trigger point, type mechanic it always employs. I’ve played all the CoD’s through to completion, until about half way through CoD 4 I decided that I’d finally had enough of that same old shit. As you might be able to discern, I wasn’t very impressed with CoD 4, despite all the hype, or maybe because of it. I’ve never understood why the CoD series has garnered so much praise and critical acclaim, as I have always found it to be a rather average and unremarkable series of shooters.

21. Ian Dorsch says:

Treyarch pounded Call of Duty 3 together in 8 frantic months while Activision cracked their cruel whip. Considering those circumstances, the game came out pretty well. Treyarch actually has had some time to work on CoD5, and they know they have big shoes to fill after the runaway success of CoD4. I’ll give the game the benefit of the doubt for now.

22. Riotpoll says:

Will be funny if CoD5 becomes CoD:Franco-Prussian War of 1870 or something equally ludicrous!
    But as that didn’t feature the US I doubt it will ;-)

23. dhex says:

world war 1 = world war fun?

24. Dracko says:

Call of Duty 6: Where my’s Gas Mask? Oh God!

25. Kanakotka says:

Profits-wise, Blizz still has these guys by the throath.

But, seeing activision having bounced off from PC platform in the first place, it’s likely they will return.

26. Jay says:

I don’t really see a problem if they resort to WWII again y’know. A good game is still a good game, and if CoD5 becomes a good game that just so happens to be set in WWII, that’s fine with me

However I do feel that the CoD series needs more small, French cars vs Nazis with .88s

27. Ted says:

“we can surely expect their swollen coffers to impact their future PC releases.”

We can expect them to continue phasing out development on the PC altogether. Nice work, pirates!

28. etho says:

I hope it’s a good game (CoD5) but if it’s set in WW2 again, I’ll probably wait for it to be bargain binned. Vietnam might be interesting, though I’d prefer if IW was at the helm for that, since Vietnam games have a history of sucking. I want a proven developer for that. But the question I have is, why would it have to be a historical setting? CoD4 wasn’t. Sure it was based on the current war, but it was 99% fiction. Why are we assuming CoD5 will go back to the historical model? I vote they take it to one of the more war-torn parts of Africa. Have you fighting as either a soldier/UN peacekeeper (since they seem to like the alternating storylines thing) against bad-guy rebels, or as a rebel/black-ops foreigner against an evil dictator. But set it in one of the more jungle-y regions, cause desert combat is almost as played out as WW2.

29. etho says:

Or: fighting in the Himalayas could be cool. War for Tibetan independence? Something like that? I dunno. It’s a big world, and there are interesting places to fight other than Europe and the Middle East.

30. Jochen Scheisse says:

A UN peace mission gone wrong has lots of potential.

31. The Shed says:

Hurm, little wonder Activision are raking in the dosh, considering CoD4′s massive console success. The game is great fun to be frank, and there are so many possiblities for No. 5. The Jacobite War. That’s where it’s at.

I still prefer playing a real instrument to paying £60 to play a fake one with 6 buttons (and a rubbish wammy bar.) IRL instruments also give an edge at parties/ with girls, yeah, let’s see your “Guitar Hero IV” do that. Eh!

32. Nick says:

Hmm, CoD4 moves to modern setting, sells bucketloads (not that it was ever a bad seller).. they decide to switch back to WW2.

Does that not make very little sense?

33. John P (Katsumoto) says:

CoD5: Civil War.

And I mean the English Civil War, obviously. Roundheads v Cavaliers: Showdown.

34. Zeno says:

CoD6 will be set in the robot uprising of 2067.

35. Jochen Scheisse says:

Should they really go back to WW2 now, maybe they’ll make the long-debated German campaign.

36. Jay says:

CoD5: Civil War.

And I mean the English Civil War, obviously. Roundheads v Cavaliers: Showdown.

Right, screw my idea, they’d better do this instead

37. James T says:

Man, you guys think small.
    CALL OF DUTY: PUNIC COMBAT.

Fuck tanks*, I’m taking an elephant across the Strait of Gibraltar and making history for Carthage!

*Hey, I think we might have our Fuck Space sequel…

38. malkav11 says:

Guitar Hero works wonders on the ladies, actually.

And by wonders, I mean it sucks them in so hard that you’re right out of the picture. Oh well.

39. mrrobsa says:

I’m sure I read on Koatku, COD5 is coming via Treyarch and it’s WW2 Pacific theatre. Make of that what you will.
    I just hope it’s better than Medal of Honor: Rising Sun, which in this esteemed gentleman’s opinion was double wank and shit chips.

Link-me-do: