Wrath Of The Lich King Trailers

By Jim Rossignol on May 9th, 2008 at 10:35 am.

The new World Of Warcraft expansion, Wrath Of the Lich King, is hurtling towards the social lives of my friends and peers with the inexorability of a epoch-changing meteorite. I, however, am entirely safe in my Eve Online bunker, from where I will laugh at the WoW crowd, before feeling quietly guilty about having spend the past five years playing with internet spaceships.

Anyway, after the jump are some in-game footage trailers for the upcoming Angry Lich King Adventures, including aerial combat cleverness for those of you gold-laden enough to be zooming about on flying mounts. The real pull of the expansion, however, is the raised level cap (to 80) and the hero class, the necromantic Death Knight. Woo.

Aerial combat, complete with gnome parachute:

And the Borean tundra, a lovely place where many millions of folks will be living for months at a time:

, , .

1. Butler` says:

Aaah it’ll keep me busy for a week I suppose.

2. Wurzel says:

Oooh aerial combat. Almost enough to make me want to sell my soul to Blizzard again!

3. Steam Report says:

I do wonder how much further over 10 million subscribers they can go. The last expansion gave them a massive bump so I expect the same again come later this year.

4. cliffski says:

I reckon in five years time, there will be as many WoW expansions as there are expansions for the Sims.
    Its weird in a way that the sims on-line never really took off.

5. Ian says:

Well I’ve only just started playing WoW so it’s a wee while before I’ll need to worry about anything so fancy as that. :D

6. Seniath says:

That aerial combat looks a bit pants, and I love all the work they’ve put into the new models.

Ahh who am I kidding, I’ll be buying it regardless I imagine.

7. Freelancepolice says:

What servers did people used to hail from?

8. Paul Moloney says:

At the moment, the game is a total grind for me. I tried to get Exalted with the Argent Dawn crowd, to buy some of their cool stuff. But, I didn’t realise how damn hard it is unless you do some Undead instances in a group. I’m not in a guild (I’m a married casual player, so really can’t give specific times to play) which means I try to casually group when needed, but to be honest, WoW is pretty poor at that these days (In City of Heroes, back in the day, it was _much_ easier to form casual groups, which I recall with fondness). So, having invested so much time in getting to Revered, I’m loathe to give up and so, a grown man with other things to do, am just grinding undead for reputation. At times like this, WoW _really_ does remind you of a damaging addiction.

P.

9. Ian says:

Even at my low levels I struggle to find groups (or even one quest buddy) for tricky (for my level) quests, but then I suppose this is the danger of getting into such a game when it’s not quite as full of other newbies as it once would have been.

My friend has just joined though, so I might slow down and let him catch up a little and force him to quest with me. :D

10. Flint says:

I know it’s based on an old engine and all, but the graphics still look excellent. I just love WoW’s visual style.

Can’t wait for this really, even though there’s no new classes or races (I want my playable furbolgs dammit). I really want to just go and explore the new continent, and, well, do all the other things that I’ve done for the rest of the WoW but in new places. Hopefully my primary alt will be 70 or near it by the time this is released.

11. RichPowers says:

Whoa aerial combat! I wonder if that airfield atop Iron Forge will open up now…

Now all they need are goblins in zeppelin bombers and I might just restart my WoW addiction.

12. El_MUERkO says:

internet spaceshipz

if you spell it with an ‘s’ you’re taking it too seriously!

13. Sharkwald says:

@Paul Maloney
    Are you still playing Vanilla WoW, or do you have TBC? If you have TBC, I can’t think of a single reason why you’d care about Argent Dawn reputation as a solo casual player. There’s bucket loads of solo content in TBC for level 70s, if you don’t have it, really, it’s more than worth the £10 investment.

14. Paul Moloney says:

“Are you still playing Vanilla WoW, or do you have TBC?”

See, I already have it – bought it back in March. But I have’t installed it, since I don’t want to get XP while grinding Argent Dawn rep (and so spend my 60-something levels not experiencing the new realms and content).

And yes, I know I really should just give up on grinding AD rep and go to Outland, but I’d feel I’d wasted all that previous rep-gaining for nothing.

Yes, absolutely ridiculous, I know, hence my previous allusion to drugs.

P.

15. DigitalSignalX says:

Speaking of endless grinding, where/when can we read the elf species survival treatise!

16. Zell says:

Proceed to outland, Paul. Leave Argent Dawn, it is obsolete and useless. The expansion is superior in every way.

17. Steven Hutton says:

So is that flying combat a world wide thing or is it limited to missions or small areas. Am I going to be able to dive bomb me some alliance?

18. Arnulf says:

Wurzel says:

What he said.

It’s almost unbelievable to me that I accept everything what Blizzard do to their own world. Well, it’s their’s anyway.

19. yutt says:

Amusingly Blizzard just announced that the Argent Dawn faction is returning in Wrath of the Lich King. I am certain it will be a sub-faction and previous standings won’t apply, however.

20. Discosauce says:

Old models, old landscapes, old news.

21. Kalain says:

@Discosauce

Yeah, and tell me which MMO doesn’t reuse models? You can’t, because that all of them. As for the landscapes, they look fantastic. I’ve seen AoC and WAR landscapes and they do look good, but Blizzard has amazing art direction. Low polygon? Sure, but you would never know with the amount of effort they designers put into the textures and so forth.

Yes, I’m sure it will be more of the same grind, but with the additional changes they added, such as all WOtLK 25 man raids can now be done 10 man.

I have a feeling that his expansion will increase their playerbase even more, beyond their 10million players they already have.

22. The Dread Pirate Roberts says:

Nothing on this earth will ever get me playing that game again. In fact, after playing the betas of WAR and AOC, I’m thinking all MMO’s can sod off to be honest..

23. Sensei_Fuji says:

i agree with you, paul. i spent amay weeks of hardcore grinding trying to get my AD rep up, even though outlands was calling my name. needsless to say, i got to revered with them, hit level 60 fior the first time qand went beyond azeroth. i was severely disappointed at how quickly my blues and purples were replaced with first kill trash mob greens…well, at least i can use my status to get into naxx for warlock summons if my guild ever gets tired of working towards t6 raids and decides to run it for once…i hear its a VERY punishing instance btw, take caution if you ever decide to try it =D