Bus Simulator 2008 Demo!

By John Walker on May 12th, 2008 at 10:46 am.

Where are the shotguns?!

Control yourselves: the Bus Simulator 2008 demo is out. Warning: it’s possibly not a good idea to play this after prolongued sessions with GTA IV. Especially since its primitive engine does let you knock down lampposts and traffic lights.

With intro music sounding like Hannah Gordon is about to appear to sell you gardening equipment, this really is the afternoon television of gaming. Your task is to gently, sensibly, and most of all legally, drive your bus from stop to stop, letting passengers off and on, and get this, without murdering even one of them. It’s weird and confusing. Run over a single passenger and that’s it, game ends. I’m not sure even First have that policy.

TAKE THAT, tree nemesis!

Still, it affords me the opportunity to do a vastly better job than any single bus driver in the whole of Bath, and I’d suggest the entire UK. What with my bus TURNING UP AT ALL, YOU USELESS OVERPRICED SHITBAGS. When I’m in charge, and believe me it will be soon, every time anyone who works for that bus company – from the drivers to the managers swimming in their infinite money – orders delivered food, they’ll be told, “Yes, it’s on its way,” and then will never show up, ever. Oh yes indeed. I’ll go that far.

Um, so you can get the Bus Simulator 2008 demo from here.

, .

1. Faust says:

I’m sure if you just pretend you’re in ‘Speed’, the whole game will take on a startlingly entertaining light….

2. fluffy bunny says:

So now there are two bus simulators fighting for control over this valuable market segment on the PC… RPS should do a comparison article – Bus Driver vs. Bus Simulator 2008 – it would probably get loads of hits. :)

3. The_B says:

Would the feature be called ‘On the Buses’, or can the denizens of RPS come up with better punnage than that?

4. Malagate says:

Hey at least it has people in it, I recall Train Simulator and even though you could sit in the carriage there was never a soul in sight. The only fun part of that game was to cause a massive train accident at top speed, watching train carriages concatina into a massive pile took a while to get old.
    Does anyone actually deride joy from this kind of game by playing it seriously? I’m not sure I’ve met a bus driver who was ever happy with their job, is there someone who loves to drive buses so much that they even want to simulate it when they’re not at work?

5. Ginger Yellow says:

Who are the people who buy games like this and Train Simulator or 18 Wheels of Steel? I mean, I can kind of understand the appeal for 10 minutes, but to actually devote time to it seems bizarre. You’d think they’d compensate for the boring action by having fantastic visuals, but they almost always look like crap.

6. Joel Esler says:

‘Speed’? I think you mean “The bus that couldn’t slow down”.

7. Cargo Cult says:

You want Trent Buses, you do. They’re lovely.

(I once got on the wrong bus, and was kindly driven by the driver to where my stop actually was – about two miles beyond the terminus…)

8. kalain says:

I do have some questions about it:

1. Will you be able to drive your bus on time and to schedule?
    2. Will the passengers have to wait for age then get a choice of 5 buses at the same time?
    3. Will you get idiots sitting at the back of the bus screaming and yelling?

These are important questions I need to know..

9. Jochen Scheisse says:

Yes, will there be beat em up sequences on weekend busses?

10. John Walker says:

I’d most like to see an appearance by the mad old lady who sticks vegetables down her cleavage and sometimes paints watercolours while on the bus. She’s brilliant.

But not the *incredibly* creepy lady who is ALWAYS on the bus, no matter when I get it, which direction, which day.

11. Max says:

I’d recommend just getting GTA IV instead. At least that way when you get bored you can just hit people and watch them spray all over your windscreen.

12. rand526 says:

any chance of a chav mod, with kids playing crap music with sped up vocals on the back of the top deck…….?

13. Big J says:

When you do the comparison, don’t forget about Desert Bus!

14. Pod says:

The bus driver needs to be there, dear, else the bus won’t “go”. Maybe that’s the trouble you’re having with these buses? You’re getting on ones without drivers?

I think some investigative journoness is in order: Find out who the hell plays these games, and for how long.

15. nakke says:

I do respect simulation games usually, but does a game like this really have its market? Bus driving seems like a bit too boring.

16. fluffy bunny says:

I did actually play Bus Driver (the other bus simulator for the PC), and enjoyed it for a while. The reasons it eventually stopped being enjoyable had less to do with the subject matter (driving a bus) and more to do with strange game design. Basically, on one hand it was far too difficult to play it well (as the timetables were almost impossible), but on the other it didn’t actually punish you properly for doing poorly.

17. Steve says:

@Cargo Cult

The buses in Nottingham are actually the best I have used for being cheap, reliable and usually clean. Plus that Skylink thing runs 24/7.

18. caesarbear says:

For all you knuckle-draggers, those of who appreciate simulation games would probably be interested in something light like this, just as you dum-dums enjoy Peggle.

19. terry says:

I find the implication I am playing GTA IV to be relatively horrible.

20. Adam J Hepton says:

I can’t quite believe I’m saying this, but this sounds genuinely interesting to me.

21. Lunaran says:

Well there you go, that’s him right there. That’s the market. No journonism necessary, he just showed up.

22. tmp says:

Same kind of people that’s been buying Flight Simulator games and such since early 80′s… like say, this guy. Especially when it comes to train simulators, since it’s easier to get a RL flying license than opportunity to drive a real train. So for many, that’s the only way to experience it.

23. Ginger Yellow says:

Yeah, but at least Flight Simulator has pretty decent graphics, and you can fly. Flying is inherently fun, and has lots of opportunities for creative play. Driving a train is not particularly fun and does not allow for much in the way of variety or creativity. At least with trains you’ve got the trainspotter element. But buses?

24. Stephen K says:

I’d like to play a roguelike where you play as a bus passenger and watch swarms of ASCII chavs circle your seat before moving in for the kill. Their behaviours would all be procedurally generated, naturally. You win if you can make it all the way to the last terminal.

25. Mike says:

I’m waiting for Commute Simulator. Wake up early! In order to get a seat on the bus. Jostle! With fellow commuters on the train. Sprint! Through the town centre trying to make the fast bus connection.

26. Pace says:

speaking of… the omnibus seems to have broken down somewhere. Perhaps that facehugger had deleterious effects after all?

27. tmp says:

Well, the quality of graphics between flight simulators and ground simulators released at similar time is quite comparable (ground simulators have much harder task here given the camera is much closer to objects that can be simulated with just good texture in flight simulator most of the time). I’ll disagree on the train driving not being fun — it’s very different from flying or driving a car, but it can be equally challenging due to involved momentum. Plus like mentioned, it’s something even more exotic for average human than flying a plane.

As far as creativity/variety goes… the DLC for train simulators and community involved in creation of extra content is huge, to the point where it’s literally “serious business” with multiple commercial expansion packs released each year.

Now the bus simulation thing i don’t know (my only experience with that kind of games was something on original Playstation that i can’t remember name of) But i think it can have very similar appeal to some that flight and/or train simulators have to others, so not going to act all surprised over it.

28. Lunaran says:

So I tried this out.

The game fines you 50 euros for running a red light, but if you drive up on the sidewalk and go around the intersection without touching anything it doesn’t notice and you aren’t fined. Plus, yellow lights count as red, so even green lights can’t be trusted not to suddenly turn yellow and fine you, so the game basically encourages you to drive on the sidewalk all the time.

That actually makes it pretty damn fun – you can’t cause property damage or it’s also a 50 euro fine, but if you can careen from one bus stop to another without stopping for a single light you can arrive at each stop a full minute ahead of time.

I was actually pretty disappointed the demo only had one bus and one level. :(

29. Testicular Torsion says:

Bah! Can’t hold a candle to Desert Bus. Now *that* was a bus-driving game with a solid gold sack…

30. malkav11 says:

You should get fined for arriving ahead of time. I’ve talked to bus drivers and the one thing they all agree on is that you do not arrive at a stop early (or if you do, you then wait there until the proper time). Late is much more acceptable. In fact, I don’t know that there’s any sort of penalty for lateness, at least around here. Because fundamentally the things that cause lateness are not under your control – passenger load, disruptive passengers, traffic, bus breakdowns, etc.

31. Diggerman says:

i have the original bus driver but the bus doesnt turn wat do i do

32. Mirki says:

O njerzz ku muj me dawloduu un qet loj kush te din let em kallxon diqkaa ju pres ne add tem Mirki.g@live.com me ResPect Mirky.Ss:D ,,,,,,,,

33. basti200 says: