Someone Wants Your Protection Money

By John Walker on May 16th, 2008 at 4:13 pm.

protector4

A newly born Polish development team, Gingerbread Studios (can’t find a website just yet, and I’m fairly sure it’s not this one) has announced a first/third-person shooter for PC (and 360) called The Protector.

In the belows there’s some commentary and screenshots.

Gingerbread explain that,

“The Protector centres on the exploits of two vastly different characters – hardened British mercenary Jonathan Kane and beautiful US archaeologist Jennifer Guile. After an acrimonious two-year estrangement, these two former lovers are reunited when Jennifer’s father – a leading archaeologist – is murdered by a new terrorist organisation called Scarlet Vengeance, which is looking for a powerful Aztec artefact to use for a devastating terrorist attack. When Scarlet Vengeance’s attentions turn to Jennifer – the only person who knows the location of the artefact – Kane is forced to track her down and protect her. Thrown together in extreme circumstances, the duo must overcome their differences and use their unique skills to thwart the terrorists’ horrifying plan.”

The hardened mercenary man rescues the beautiful lady? It’s as Germaine Greer herself wrote the story. We are assured later that Jennifer is also “wily”. And indeed you play as both during the game, shooting for Kane, stealthing for the lady.

There doesn’t appear to be anything strikingly original about it at this point, the press release’s feature list boasting what’s the standards (physics, hiding behind objects, intelligent AI, and a branching story). But of course that’s nothing to judge it on – it might be fantastic at all those things. One aspect sounds pretty unrealistic though:

“Fully interactive world, populated by civilians, commuters, students and workers who intelligently react to their surroundings and situations.”

I wish the fully interactive world I lived in was populated by people who react intelligently to their surroundings and situations. But that’s the point of videogames: to take us out of our regular lives.

Click on the screenshots for full size versions.

protector1

protector2

protector3

protector5

protector6

, .

1. Larington says:

“I wish the fully interactive world I lived in was populated by people who react intelligently to their surroundings and situations…”

On this, we are most definately in agreement.

2. Ian says:

I suspect you could make a whole new video game comprising only characters of previous video games called “Kane.”

We’ve got C&C, Fahrenheit, Quake 4, Kane & Lynch all featuring people called Kane. There will be others, and that’s not even going into books and films.

3. Jochen Scheisse says:

Abstracts of video game stories are probably the best proof there is that supply creates demand.

4. Nitre says:

Up with the Poles!

5. Goose says:

This game is already making me yawn quite violently.

6. John P (Katsumoto) says:

Sounds like a mix of Far Cry and Crysis’s plots (substitute Aztecs for aliens, Jon Kane for Jack Carver, Jennifer Guile for “VAL”, her archaeologist dad for the archaeologist dad in Crysis, Scarlet Vengeance for Koreans, etc). Which isn’t promising. But, and I love massive generalisations, Polish people rock at making games, so i’m sure it won’t be pap.

As long as they get someone who is actually British (and not from London/Poshville) to voice the main guy. For the first time in computer gaming history.*

7. CplTurboTurd says:

Beautiful US archaeologist Jennifer Guile really is one of the most beautiful pieces of plastic I’ve ever seen.

8. Babs says:

If the Aztecs created all these amazing super-powerful artifacts how come they got beaten by the bloody Spanish? Eh?

9. Windlab says:

@CplTurboTurd
    Agreed. After playing Half Life2 and onwards I tend use the episodes as the standard for making humans and their skin look realistic.

10. Chaz says:

Why is it in games, that sites of archaeological interest are always swarming with gun toting bad guys?

My recent visit to the ruins of Tintern Abbey was never that exciting, thankfully.

11. Goomich says:

This is their site.
    Not much to see though.

12. Yhancik says:

@ Ian : and the game would be called “Kane

And “Gingerbread Studio” is an.. unexpected name for a studio developing a terrorist/supernatural shooter…
    Imagine Rockstar being called Cupcake Interactive or something :p

13. Taxman says:

Sounds almost like the PS3′s Uncharted: Drakes Fortune [great game btw], even the screenshots show cover based fights and the description has a male/female team, Aztec artefact hunt.

Could be fun if done right and they add a few things into the mix which they seem to be doing with branching storylines, as Uncharted was very linear so offered little replay value.

Watching the making of Uncharted though showed Naughty Dog but a lot of effort & money into their game to give it that cinematic feel, will be interesting to see how The Protector matches that if they are aping Uncharted.

14. Helder Pinto says:

Looks fairly nice!

15. phil says:

How exactly are they going to differentiate the three?

At the first sign of gunfire does the worker run away, the student light a spliff to watch the show and communter stand dead still whilst staring cow-eyed into the middle distance?

16. Cooper says:

I now know what it is that is missing in my gaming life. That one game that I’ve been looking for all this time.

A game written and designed by Germaine Greer.

17. wcaypahwat says:

Sounds like a Matthew Reilly novel…..

18. Matu says:

@ John P – the guy even looks distinctly like John Carver.

I feel sorry for new devs these days, think of all the graphics stuff they have to learn before they will be taken seriously, our standards are extremely high.

19. Bema says:

He doesn’t look that hard…

To be honest, looks like another game im set to ignore.

20. The Shed says:

Is it just me or does the bloom effect, textures, and… softness of this look very GTA IV? I even thought the heading picture was from that game.

@Bema: Yup.
    @Cooper: Yup.

(Go Miss Greer, Go Miss Greer, Go Miss Greer, Go-o!)

21. Masked Dave says:

Meh.

And I say that from the bottom of my heart.

22. zima says:

What is this? some kind of flattery towards PL immigrands that are flooding UK? ;) (Seriously, don’t make me more depressed about state of games that come out of this small country of mine… )

I’m fed up with how many game creators here are involved in mental masturbation…ever heard of V.O.T.E.R. Golem (was supposed to be revolutionary strategy game, eclipsing everything else) or Chrome (think Crysis-syndrome, but on a local scale)? Ever heard of I_don’t_know_how_many_ultra_low_budget_games_made_solely_for_inclusion_with_magazines?

Yeah, Wiedzmin/Witcher is an extraordinary exception…together with, perhaps, Painkiller and Reservoir Dogs. Other than those three…at best so-so, usually downright horrible knock-offs of foreign ideas (and that includes not only games, also IM networks, portals, webmail, social networks, social news, photo services, web storage, streaming video, blog services, you name it…I don’t know, probably remaining popular because of some ill local patriotism)

btw, http://www.home.umk.pl/~majewski/jakub/pol_lst.html – sad state of pl gaming industry (YES, 90% of indy projects here are “postapocalyptic rpg/something”, none of them even 10% complete)

PS. ok, I amd interested how “Wii-based horror game Sadness” will end up, but that’s beyond interests of RPS