Death takes a Holiday: Venetica

By Kieron Gillen on May 27th, 2008 at 8:21 pm.

I found myself terribly excited when I saw this one. A whole game based around the wafer-chocolate-and-ice-cream meal? Oh, God. That’d be better than Looking Glass’ clossure being revealed as an incredibly long running hoax. But no, my 7-year-old reading comprehension failed me again. Still – news of a new RPG Venetica coming strikes could be worse. Coming from the developers of Ankh, this is a Cryptic Action/RPG set in the 16th century, featuring a lead character who’s the daughter of Death. Nowt on the website yet, alas, but there’s three (count ‘em!) screenshots beneath the cut.

Initial impressions: The daughter of death has a big head, in a non-metaphorical way.

__________________

« | »

, , , , .

1. Alex says:

I got all excited about the prospects of a game based on a font, but then I realised that’s called Helvetica.

Doh.

2. Yhancik says:

A game based on fonts would be great… a kind of audiosurf for typonerds.
    “Man, i totally beat you at Caslon Pro”

3. andthensobecause says:

As far as I know, Vienetta is extinct in America, but I remember the commercials to be lusty endeavors that in retrospect, I miss.

I though this title referred to some conference in a hotel in Las Vegas.

4. Ryan says:

Looks pretty interesting. That’s a large weapon.

lessons in brevity: http://www.mofata.com

5. Colthor says:

Cryptic action? Bah, I’m rubbish at crosswords :(

6. Xagarath says:

Whatever happend to Machiavellian?
    That game announced years ago where you played Death?
    Anyone?
    Probably only me.

7. perilisk says:

Funny, I always thought Death’s daughter had died, and he had a granddaughter now…

8. dartt says:

Susan Sto Helit?

9. Optimaximal says:

Fuck Vienetta, BRING BACK ROMANTICA! Oh wait, they did for a short while…

10. vrittis says:

Yhancik, we seem to drift around the same websites, i regularly see you popping to comment on a website i’ve been reading for a while :)

Regarding the game, i have a weird feeling of deja vu, but that’s because i’m thinking about the daughter of Death in the Discworld Novels by Terry Pratchett… This is a serious measure to be scaled against!

11. Leeks! says:

Oh please may the plot center around stopping an assassin from killing santa claus.

12. Kadayi says:

Has something of the Beyond good and evils about it judging by the trailer. Seems to at least be aping Venice in the setting stylings also, which is no bad thing as it’s quite a surreal City tbh.

13. John P (Katsumoto) says:

I only really like the orange chocolate viennetta, and whenever there’s a family event like Christmas or Easter or whatever it’s ALWAYS BORING VANILLA. Thanks for reminding me, god!

14. Larington says:

Hmm, I can almost hear the pitch right now – “Like Beyond Good & Evil, but with Deaths Daughter as the player character!!!”

The similarities are impressive, and probably not intentional.

15. Yhancik says:

Ryan, you website is already linked in your username :p
    (there’s a nofollow anyway).

Oh and Sir Vrittis ! Nice to see you, it sure has been a long !

16. Lorc says:

I was ambivalent until I saw the giant prawn.

17. Ben Abraham says:

According to these screenshots, this girl has her mouth open in the same way for 50% of the game!

18. Albides says:

Now that you point it out, she does look like some sort of ultra-realistic, mildly annoyed blowup doll in a couple shots. Or something like this.

19. Hieremias says:

Visual style stolen from inspired by World of Warcraft. I was wondering when we’d eventually see that.

20. Ozzie says:

Except that I like the visual style. Not amazing, but quite good.

And seeing that the developer is Deck13, it could be worse! ;)

21. Kommissar Nicko says:

I had fond memories of Vienetta as a child. A very, very young child. The States mourns its passing…

22. drunkymonkey says:

Damn you, RPS commenters! I was gonna make a joke about one of the levels having the aim of saving the God of Hangovers, but now you’ve ruined it by pointing out the obvious comparison before I could! :(

23. Dave F. says:

Look, a next-gen Dreamfall!

24. James T says:

I was ambivalent until I saw the giant prawn

Oh no, I dreamt of Zorro.

There needs to be an ENTIRE GAME based on the first 4 pages of the Goaste.com Nemi remixes. The dropoff after that is heartbreaking, but the universe of Egg and bees? Exquisite.

I am not interested in this game at all (probably the uninspired character design is lulling me into inattention (It’s totally the Middle Ages… with a HOT CHICK! In a BUSTIER!); guess graphics are important!). But the execution is really nice; usually that kind of semi-cartoon smoothness comes with horrible aliasing, but… not here. A bit of promo-screenshot sprucing? Or have they confidently tamed the aliasing demons these days?

And yes, she does have a huge head compared to her body, and not even in a “slightly large for stylistic purposes” way — looks like a woman’s face on a 12 year old.

25. obdicut says:

So it’s a complete ripoff of Terry Pratchett, or what?

26. tmp says: