Omigod Omigod Omigod: Beyond Good & Evil 2

By Alec Meer on May 28th, 2008 at 8:20 pm.

The rumours were true. Beyond Good & Evil 2 is go. Repeat: Beyond Good & Evil 2 is go. Woowoowoo!

An extremely confident, pig-laden teaser trailer waits for you beneath the cut, like a lost lover suddenly returned.

Happy days, non?

Absolutely no information yet though – it’s not even been officially referred to as BG&E2 so far, simply Michel Ancel’s next project. Who cares what it ends up being called, though? Just look at it. There are vague reports this footage is in-engine, which I’m not sure whether to believe – but if so, blimey. This might just be the best gaming news of the year. Not simply because BG&E was a lovely game, but because the odds of Giant Megacorp Greenlighting Sequel To Commercially Unsuccessful Cult Classic seemed so very, very remote despite the persistent rumours of Jade’s return. Turns out the world’s not such a terrible place after all.

, , , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. The_Archetype says:

(pumps fist in air wildly while screaming YES! some more and runs off to tell the other people in the house, none of whom will have any idea what he’s talking about)

2. Al3xand3r says:

Now this guy takes our glory The Shed :P
    I hope the PS3/360 thing is misinformed. I want a PC version dammit. That’s all meant to be in game stuff by the way. Not bad.

3. Matt says:

Oh thank god,

BG&E is the most underrated game I’ve ever had the plesure of playing, can’t wait for the sequal!

4. The Shed says:

Damnit! Yeah our momentum is totally gone (incidentally my first name is Alexander also)… Oh well.

Chances are I’d grab it on 360; but theres no reason it won’t be for PC. They probably just lumped it in the ‘360/ PS3 exclusive’ category ‘cos they reckon PC gamers are the only ones who dont care about it. Pfft. If that’s in game I’ll eat my hat.

5. Stick says:

Woohoo! (Also, most effective Must Have It trailer since the TF2 shorts.)

6. lungfish says:

My day has just been made, i’m going to go and hug random people in the street, also loved the whole ry cooder-y music and road movie atmospere.

7. Cerbis Latran says:

BWEEEEEEEEHEHEHEHEHEEEEEEEEEEHEHEHEH!
    There is a God! EEEEEEHEHEHEHE! YES! HAAAAHAHAH!
    Oh god my poor nigh-exploding heart. … YAAAAAAY!

8. Pavel says:

Okay….so, I guess I should go play BGaE 1, then?
    Is it really that good? I liked this teaser, its atmosphere just seemed…interesting.

9. Phil H says:

Oh God Yes!

10. Pidesco says:

Awesome, awesome,awesome, awesome, awesome, awesome, awesome, awesome, awesome, awesome, awesome, awesome, awesome, awesome, awesome, awesome, awesome, awesome, awesome, awesome, awesome, awesome,awesome, awesome, awesome, awesome, awesome, awesome, awesome! And breathe…

11. Bidermaier says:

i feel bad when i think i only payed $10 for this game after it bombed.

12. Pod says:

Interesting.
    I only finally finished BG&E1 the other day. I’d gotten about 70% of the way through last year but just forgot to carry on playing…..

one thing I noticed is that the pig’s voice is different, though he hardly said much.

13. Reverend Speed says:

No true Monkey Island sequel.
    No sequel to Hostile Waters.
    No sequel to The Last Express.
    No sequel to Syndicate.

And this gets a sequel.

I just don’t know.

–Rev

PS: Will there be rabbids in it? To make it good?

14. Leeks! says:

If there was some standardized way to articulate a squeal of joy in text, I would do that right now.

15. MisterBritish says:

hurrah! And with a dash of Full Throttle to taste!

16. Michael says:

Yaaay!!!

17. PaulMorel says:

I still haven’t played the first BG&E, despite hordes of people telling me to do so. I guess I will fire up my GameTap subscription and get down to it.

Great trailer.

18. Professor Pyro, Ph.D. says:

I hope that this game is a massive success, but in terms of how good it is and commercially.

19. the_apologist says:

Ok, so, I liked BG&E n’all, and I’m happy there’s a sequel but…seriously, did you all think it was really that good?

20. tmp says:

I believe it’s “squee”.

Squee

21. Newblade says:

Carlson and Peeters!

22. Flotfyrtoogtredive says:

I really really want to play BG&E1 again but apparently there’s some sort of problem with the newer direct x or newer videocards or something. It freezes and/or crashes after playing for a while. Anyone else know about this? I’ve tried searching around and it seems to be a known problem but the patches and sollutions I can find are several years old and don’t work for me :(

23. The_B says:

Quick Alec, type louder, they might hear you for the other sequels!

24. G says:

MAMAGO!

25. RichPowers says:

BOOYA!

(I’ve yet to play BG&E1…I’m just going with the crowd on this one.)

26. LSTAR says:

Not bad! I really enjoyed BG&E1.
    This looks… dustier than the tropical setting of the first game. And the vast desert is certainly more epic than BG&E1’s self-contained (minus the space bit) area. So far so good! Hopefully this won’t go Armed and Dangerous on our Giant: Citizen Kabuto!

27. azwipe says:

i’m just… so happy

28. Thingus says:

And Pey’j now eats wasps, answering one of science’s most asked questions :D
    But where was Jade’s staff? :S

29. LSTAR says:

Where was Jade’s face, for that matter? It’s a bit early to be worrying about the dai-jo being missing :)

30. Andrew says:

I rue the day I started reading this blog! Just today I picked up Beyond Good and Evil and Painkiller on Steam.

31. Kast says:

i guess this means i finally need to get around to playing the original :P

32. Optimaximal says:

33. tcliu says:

Great! Now I’ll have to freeze myself like Cartman waiting for his Wii.

34. Feet says:

Time to reinstall to celebrate.

I do hope it comes to the PC, though I fear it’s unlikely…

35. the_apologist says:

@Optimaximal – It’s just that I can’t quite put my finger on what other people are so in love with. It was fun and all, but the environments felt constricted, and the stealth could be frustrating…

I didn’t quite get that special feeling so many others seem to have got. It left me wondering what the fuss was about…

36. Espy says:

Nice! Wasn’t expecting that. BG&E was a wonderful game, great settings, great atmosphere and lots of fun. Really looking forward to this :D

37. grumpy says:

Most likely, you’ve been alt-tabbing. That always caused my game to crash (even bluescreen), but never when I actually alt-tabbed. Some 20-30 minutes later, it’d bluescreen, which made it *really* hard to figure out what caused it.

But yeah, try playing without ever alt-tabbing, and see if that helps.

38. Meat Circus says:

I love the world again.

39. Ozzie says:

Squeee!!!

I’m a PC gamer only, never owned a console, so I hope my platform of choice gets a conversion.

Interesting trailer, which, of course, teases much.
    Beyond Good & Evil……..in a vast desert? How did they get there? What’s up with Pey’j? Is this Jade under the umbrella? What’s the connection, what happened?
    I like all the more or less subtle clues in this video.

The tone seems very different, but I guess it will all come together.

Just hope the PC will get a version.

40. Petrushka says:

grumpy’s response may be accurate, but I’ve encountered compatibility problems between BG&E1 and more recent nVidia drivers. Scenes with close-up views of water (i.e. an awful lot of the game) get extremely slow because of some bottleneck or other. Maybe that’s affecting you too.

41. malkav11 says:

Very often platform release listings simply omit PC. Like all the “Xbox 360 exclusives” that are also on PC. So I wouldn’t worry too horribly about that item. If nothing else, it may simply indicate a delayed port.

42. Okami says:

I still refuse to believe in any kind of gof whatsoever, but I’m now at least ready to believe that there is some kind of force for justice at work in the universe.

43. Pijama says:

I didn’t play this “Beyond Good and Evil”, therefore I am feeling bad right now because apparently I am supposed to have played it. :|

So, squee?

44. Ocho says:

While the first game’s fighting and stealth mechanics left something to be desired, it’s sense of character, place, and story can’t be denied. Rarely do you see games that put forth an emotional poignancy and timely political commentary so effortlessly.

45. Ozzie says:

Yeah, sure, BG&E didn’t feature the best game design, but the game world was wonderful.
    Some more depth wouldn’t have hurt, though.
    I mean, it was a very linear quest.
    For a game titled “Beyond Good & Evil” it left something to be desired. Like choices and consequences.
    More varied quests.

But oh whatever, it was still a very believable world you always felt to be a part of. While the game was a bit too easy it was always fun, interesting and exciting.

Rayman 2 might have been more fun to play, but the world of BG&E was more interesting to explore.

One of my favorites, but it also captured the heart of many others.

There only two things I wish from the sequel:
    – more challenging gameplay
    – more possible interaction

46. toro says:

Squeee……:)

47. luminosity says:

I’d love to play the first game. If only it was available on a worldwide digital distribution network.

CURSE YOU UBISOFT.

48. WaveyRaven says:

Vehicle controls and some of the stealth bits aside, BG&E was very good. If they fixed those and made the world more open to exploration, that would be really cool.

Hell, just another game with that setting and those characters is actually making me consider buying a 360.

Squee.

49. Jonathan says:

I liked the stealth sections and thought they were more enjoyable than the trial and error of every other stealth game at the time. They were like little puzzles and didn’t try realism at all which is a principle I always support. There were some really clever moments too like the crate puzzle and those death laser nets were hella cool.

Reply to Ozzie: Be careful what you wish for. Much of the poignancy, character and drive in the story came from the pacing. If it went free form that would be all kinds of screwed. Also the game wasn’t meant to be overly challenging and may be so fondly remembered because it didn’t annoy the hell out of you with cheap shots like ninja gaiden.

Also Pey’j is now so hardcore he eats wasps and shits wrenches.