Wheelie Good News: Trials 2 on Steam

By Kieron Gillen on May 28th, 2008 at 11:28 pm.

An impractical angle to play from. Don't try it.
This is proving to be a splendid day for things that RPS like. Following on from the news that there is something beyond Beyond Good And Evil, news reaches us that the gloriously hyper-difficult Red Lynx Trials 2: Second Edition is now available on Steam for ten dollars. In fact, there’s a dollar off if you order now. Since we’ve ranted about it previously on multiple occasions, you can assume our strong recommendations of giving it a shot remain in place. Rejoice! Rejoice!

That said, the one group who may pausing mid-rejoice to wonder if it’s all good are those who already bought the game for twenty-dollars direct from the team. Hmm. At least there’s a new patch including new levels and – waitforit – bone-breaking sound effects to distract them from that. Full details of the patch here.

, , , , .

1. John P says:

10 dollars… 5 quid! + tax… 6 quid! BARGAIN. Shame it’s… fucking impossible. But still, at six quid, even games where I can’t complete the tutorial are tempting.

2. Rustkill says:

I rate this as a must buy. Best 20(ish) Aussie bucks I’ve spent in a long time. If you haven’t got it yet then do so. The new tutorial tracks look to make the learning curve much less steep too… Although my machine at home is dying at the moment and I haven’t been able to play all the new tracks yet. /sigh

3. Ryan says:

I’ll be picking this up. Not a big fan of Steam but oh well!

Ryan
    lessons in brevity: http://www.mofata.com

4. Snook says:

I always said that if this game was on STEAM I would buy it. Looks like now I will.

Horray!

5. Thiefsie says:

I think I’ll make this a purchase, even though I barely touched audiosurf and never likely will again, this at least appeals to be more traditionally gamey, and thus more than just a time waster with music you like.

6. Kismet says:

7. nakke says:

I thought I’d better wait for it to come on Steam, so I don’t just play it for a few hours and then forget it totally.
    10 dollars is a marvellous price, too. Awesome!

8. Feet says:

Brilliant. Played the demo on RPS recommendation, enjoyed it but didn’t buy because I reckoned perhaps I’d eeked the fun out of it already. I shall do so this very evening though, £6 is too good a price for more fun. Woo. Go Steam.

9. Seniath says:

Yay, I can buy it now \o/

… not that I’m a slave to my Steam overlords.

10. AbyssUK says:

Anybody know how well this works on Wine ?

11. marxeil says:

Well I played and enjoyed the demo, and bought it yesterday of Steam.
    Now I am very unhappy cause they they went and added ‘progress’ to the game. You need to pass a level to unlock the next. Why are game developers so dumb?

12. cheeba says:

Progress, really? Ah flange anyway, I was enjoying my random dabbling the last couple of weeks. If that’s true, I’m dreading the autopatch next time I start.

13. Mooey Poo says:

GODDAMMIT. Why does everyone keep on banging on about Trials 2 when Trackmania is SO MUCH BETTER? Trials 2 is the kind of game you can play on your fucking phone. In Trackmania you get to drive a car UPSIDE-DOWN.

FFS.

14. Kennel says:

“GODDAMMIT. Why does everyone keep on banging on about Trials 2 when Trackmania is SO MUCH BETTER?..”

There can be only one FPS, only one console, only one operating system…

15. Anba says:

“In Trackmania you get to drive a car UPSIDE-DOWN.”

But hey, in trials you can RIDE the bike UPSIDE-DOWN. So… :P

16. fluffy bunny says:

TrackMania is better, yes, but this isn’t a TrackMania-clone. It’s just a game that’s addictive in much the same way as TrackMania (and for many of the same reasons). It won’t keep you hooked for years, like TrackMania, but it’s great fun for the 10-20 hours it lasts.

17. Rob says:

@Mooey Poo

It’s just about possible to like both games, you know.

18. Cigol says:

I think Trackmania is boring and sterile. It’d be nice if there were some way to link existing purchases to our Steam accounts.

19. sebbbi says:

We are investigating if it’s possible to transfer our currently sold license keys to Steam. Seems that Steam has a global license key transfer system that each game shares. So it might be for example that there are duplicate license keys in Trials 2 SE and some other games or that our license keys are in invalid format. I’ll post in the game forums when we get additional info about this possibility.

20. Optimaximal says:

Trackmania has Starforce!!! And there’s no collision detection!!!

Where’s the fun of racing when you can’t run your opponent off the road in a physics-generated pyrotechnic display?

21. Yhancik says:

I thought the same about collisions, Mr. Ximal. That’s what I love in Flatout.
    Still, surprisingly, Trackmania worked wonderfully for me. Give it a try, it’s free, and there’s no Starforce anymore ;)

22. marxeil says:

sebbi – can you confirm that most of the game is locked on purchase. How would you say this benefits someone who bought your game?

23. fluffy bunny says:

“Trackmania has Starforce!!! And there’s no collision detection!!!”

1. No, it doesn’t have Starforce. That was removed in United Forever.
    2. There’s no collision detection in Trials 2 “multiplayer” either, so what’s your point?

24. Optimaximal says:

I was being sensationalist :)

(I guess a smilie really was required)

25. Ginger Yellow says:

“Can you think of a better way to start a productive day than by unlocking the Every Bone Broken achievement before going to work?”

Well, I managed to win $200 playing online poker on the bus to work this morning. But Trials is awesome too.

26. John P (Katsumoto) says:

Drinks are on you at the next RPS meet! ;)

27. Optimaximal says:

There are RPS meets now?!

28. John P (Katsumoto) says:

Okay, the “-first- RPS meet” :)

We should all converge on Omega Sektor and play TF2 all day.

29. Freelancepolice says:

Is that in brum?

30. John P (Katsumoto) says:

Oh yes. The bustling centre of the UK and, indeed, the world.

31. liquidindian says:

Can I just say hurrah for the decision to reset the faults and time when you mess up (and I mess up again and again) before the first checkpoint.

32. MeestaNob! says:

Just picked up Trials 2 yesterday. A good laugh, especially considering the BARGAIN BASEMENT price.

Bastard fucking hard though. You will swear (loudly) by the medium levels.