You Ken-not Be Serious

By Alec Meer on May 28th, 2008 at 10:40 am.

The Staring Eyes of Ryu

Good news, everyone. Street Fighter IV is to see a PC release. The part of me that wasn’t allowed a SNES or Megadrive when I was young is fair excited by this unexpected prospect of console thrills on my pixel-box of choice, while the sniffy PC snob in me is grumpily WTFing. Striving for objectivity, I’m quite pleased. The PC’s done much to shake off its perceived stereotypes of late, becoming more omnivore a platform than ever – plugging a 360 or other decent gamepad into it and Spinning Bird Kicking away could well feel entirely natural.

More wibble and some screenshots beneath the cut, for people who like wibble and screenshots.

It’s been a while since we had a fighting game, though of course there’s no way it can snatch Sumotori Dreams’ crown. There’s no release date yet, but perhaps we’ll have one when this countdown reaches zero. But yeah – excited. I was never particularly good at SF2 – I’m more of a Tekken man – but I have an affection for it unlike any other fighting game. I was the right age at the right time, essentially.

So what to expect from this port, apart from its very evident 2.5D prettiness? Its PS3/360-focus means onlininess is probably a given (though hardcore fighter fans I know claim net lag can’t keep up with their madskillz, and so will only indulge in shared-screen play) – let’s just hope it’s a) not cocking Games For Cocking Windows Cocking Live and b) supports cross-platform play.

Ooh, a flashback – buying the PC version of SFII years and years ago, overjoyed that The Game had finally come to a platform I owned. Then immediately returning it to the shop because it was an awful, sluggish conversion and I couldn’t get the sound effects to work.

And I was always a Dhalsim man, in case you’re wondering. I quite like playing as him too. BOOM BOOM.

Before the screenshots, here’s what’s bravely called a ‘fact sheet’:

Street Fighter IV brings the legendary fighting series back to its roots by taking the beloved fighting moves and techniques of the original Street Fighter II, and infusing them with Capcom’s latest advancements in next generation technology to create a truly extraordinary experience that will re-introduce the world to the time-honored art of virtual martial arts.

Everything that made the legendary Street Fighter II a hit in the arcades, living rooms and dormitories across the globe has been brought back in Street Fighter IV. Players will be able to play their favorite classic characters, such as Ryu, Ken, Chun-Li and Guile, along with new characters, including Crimson Viper, Abel, El Fuerte, and Rufus. Characters and environments are rendered in stylized 3D, while the game is played in the classic Street Fighter 2D perspective with additional 3D camera flourishes. Six-button controls for the game return, with a host of new special moves and features integrated into the gameplay system. Street Fighter IV brings a brand new fighting game to fans the world over.

Features:

* 3D environments and characters
* Traditional “2D” Street Fighter six-button gameplay
* Classic Street Fighter characters re-imagined for a new generation of gamers, including the original cast of Street Fighter II
* New brawlers: female super-spy Crimson Viper, lucha libre wrestler El Fuerte, mixed martial artist Abel and more!
* New special moves that go beyond any Street Fighter fan’s wildest imagination, including Focus Attacks, Super Combos, and the revenge-fueled Ultra Combo system.
* Amazing locations never seen before in a Street Fighter game
* New gameplay elements provide challenges for both newcomers as well as the most seasoned Street Fighter pro.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Kommissar Nicko says:

I’ve never played a fighter on PC. Ever.

Historically, can they be played with two people in possession of gamepads? Or is this some sort of intertube fighter?

2. John P (Katsumoto) says:

The last beat-em-up I played on PC was ONE MUST FALL 2097. Possibly one of the best games ever made. You climbed inside robots that were 100 metres tall and had cockpits in their heads, then fought it out with another giant robot. The fact that Rise of the Robots sold far more copies is one of the most distressing things in history.

3. AbyssUK says:

It’s in 3D its all wrong….

Mame supports two joysticks and runs all the decent streetfighters perfectly and yes I actually do own the jamma boards :)

4. Kieron Gillen says:

OMFG! This is going to be amazing or something.

KG

5. Flint says:

I can’t stop giggling at Ryu’s (or whatever the white-clad fighter guy was called, I’ve never been an SF fan) face in the screenie at the very top of the article.

6. Alec Meer says:

Yeah, that’s going in the Best Screenshots Ever bank.
    (Note to self – do Best Screenshots Ever post).

7. Butler` says:

Can’t wait for this, it’s going to ROCK! Hope it supports the ol’ wireless 360 controller.

I do love a fighting game.

8. Yhancik says:

I remember Virtua Fighter II on PC (or, at least, its demo) wasn’t bad.

I’m totally ignorant on the subject of online games on the so-called “next gen” consoles. Are there any games that are “crossplatform” for their online part ? I suppose it’s not technically impossible, but since it’s not exactly a world of open platforms overthere…

> Mh, and I hope it supports other controllers than the 360 one :p

9. drunkymonkey says:

I like the green bloke.

10. Irish Al says:

Bloody ‘ha-rooo-ken’

The PC had a version, back in the day, though. Not easy to do parallax scrolling in VGA.

11. Kismet says:

Oh my! I read a fairly long article about the game on EDGE (I think) a while ago and thought how cool it would have been if it reached the PC shores too and now… woot!

I really loved SF when I was a kid and I remember paying an insane (even by today standards) amount of cash to get Street Fighter 2 Turbo – Japanese Version (I was denied a SNES too by the way, but bought one myself with money received during the year from grandparents and kept it hidden in a closet, playing it only when my parents were not at home *g*).

Okay, I’m not sure I’ll appreciate fighting games nowadays as much as I used to 15 years ago, especially considering that I won’t probably find anyone around here to play it with (even if it has internet multiplayer support, it’s not really the same thing for this kind of games) but woot anyway.

12. Optimaximal says:

Everything is good until you realise it will likely only support the 360 pads (due to typical lazy Capcom programming), which are useless for beat-em-ups due to the ghey d-pad…

13. Phil says:

Street Fighter (well, in its Alpha 3 and Marvel Vs Capcom 2 varieties) was the only hard-core fighter I was ever half good at so a new ‘gritty yet shiney’ take would be welcome.

After the arcade machine, the console versions will almost certainly be primary and prefered though, if only because of consistent framerates. The best beat-ups on the PC tend to be neo-geo emulations.

14. Zoso says:

One Must Fall 2097 was a work of genius, I probably still have the Scrap and Destruction moves of the Jaguar buried away in muscle memory somewhere… UP UP DOWN DOWN PUNCH!

15. darkripper says:

Who cares about this, I want Street Fighter II Turbo Remix HD on the Pc, USB arcade sticks are cheaper than the ones for Xbox 360.

Also, if anyone will try to defend the xbox 360 controllers as a viable alternative to sticks for beat em up I’ll probably scream.

16. K says:

Oh, so the mouse-based control system was a different one? Not that I plan to get either.

17. Rook says:

The problem with PCs used to be that Joysticks/Gamepads use to connect through a gameport that pretty much every PC just had one of. Although there were a few devices like the Microsoft Sidewinder that you could daisy chain multiple controllers together, the chance that you knew someone else with the right controller was pretty slim. So those kind of two player games were pretty much non-existent compared to consoles.

As a brief side note, it’s been a long time since a decent PC exclusive was mentioned, are we just being softened up for the inevitable switch to consoles?

18. Andrew Doull says:

If you consider yourself a serious gamer, you must read David Sirlin.

19. James T says:

Oh fucking Christ YES. I was verging on buying a 360 just for this, but no foolish purchase for me now — just an awesome one.

(Although I’m a bit disappointed that this is turning out to be a SF2 remake, when I loved SF3, but still, there’re a few characters to go yet…)

20. Paul Moloney says:

Like Morris dancing, I never quite got the point of fighting games, where you have an even chance of winning simply by wildly flailing and mashing all the gamepad controls.

“are we just being softened up for the inevitable switch to consoles?”

Bought one of these consoles thing last week, and they’re shit. Well, OK, I exaggerate; got a Wii (only because the missus chipped in half the price as she wanted Wii Fit). So far I’ve spend more time on the download of Ocarina of Time than the Wii version of RE4 I also bought (I realise it’s a port of an old game, but still to this PC gamer’s eye it looks antidiluvian).

Only a week after purchase I’m spending far more time PC gaming, and like my PlayStation 1 (the last console I had before the Wii), I fear my new purchase may end up as a dust-bunny trap under the TV.

Mark my words, these “consoles” won’t catch on.

P.

21. Butler` says:

@Paul Moloney

They can seem that way at times, and some are mere button bashing frenzies (Tekken). But rest assured, some of them (such as Street Fighter, Virtua Fighter etc) are incredibly in depth, and an amateur will never, ever beat a seasoned, expert player.

22. Phil says:

@Paul Moloney – I refute thus;

23. Robin says:

Regarding cross-platformness: unlikely. Microsoft make it comedically difficult for developers to allow Xbox 360 games to talk to anything else (as that might tip off Xbox 360 owners that -gasp- PC gamers have online gaming which works perfectly well without subscription fees); Sony are less draconian, but still probably too much work for lazy old Capcom.

24. James T says:

My problem with actually playing Streetfighter with another person is that I practically always beat everyone I play, every time, ‘cos they’re all button-bashers — and I’m not actually very good at games, on average, so I wouldn’t say chances are equal

edit: Ooo, the parry video, my favourite.

25. phuzz says:

(the link to sumotori in the other post is broken, I think it should now be http://www.gravitysensation.com/sumotori/)

26. eyemessiah says:

Its not SFII if your not forgoing lunch for the privilege of playing. Oh for the heady thrill of jackknifing blanka in the face instead of eating.

Magical days.

27. Mawich says:

It’s good news, but it’s going to have to be done very well to tear me away from playing Super Street Fighter II on Virtual Console.

28. Alex says:

Damn those staring eyes.. DAMN THEM ALL TO HELL!!

29. Ross B says:

SO wheres that PC version of DMC 4 capcom? After announcing it, it simple fell off the map. I have my doubts that we’re going to be seeing this in any timely fashion.

30. MeestaNob! says:

RPS: please see if a Steam release is possible (and tell them Ostrayleeya and YooRup are interested as well).

I’m not much in to fighting games, but I did enjoy my button mash-a-thon with SF2 way back when.

31. Rook says:

PC version of DMC 4 is busy being “enhanced” with new modes for the July release. There was an RPS article about it last month.

32. Pidesco says:

This is just incredibly awesome. As someone who finished Street Fighter 2 with all characters on all levels of difficulty, I hereby declare this as the best news ever. It better not suck, though.

33. RichPowers says:

I think PC ports are great, especially now that more publishers add PC-exclusive content and/or interface improvements to them.

Still, when I read about a PC port the first thing I think is “it’s gonna be a bloated, unoptimized piece of crap that won’t support the input devices I want.” It’ll take more than new levels, characters, or HUDs to shake that stigma.

34. Rook says:

Most of the recent ports I’ve played, R6: Vegas 2, Assassin’s Creed, Lost Planet etc have been pretty good.

Also here’s something I grabbed from kotaku that might please people

“With PC we’re going across to all the different digital distribution and delivery companies and so again it’s about reaching as many people as possible.”

edit: as is typical kotaku reporting, it’s a bit taken out of context, they’re talking about just one PSN/Arcade/PC game, plunder. But hopefully it’s a trian of thought that will extend to all their other releases.

35. sbs says:

<—Not a big fan of fighters either, but this reminds me of something..

A while back a little program called GGPO (good game, peace out) made its rounds among Quakers, we definitely had some fun with it. Basically it allows you to play the likes of Street Fighter Alpha 2 and Marvel vs. Capcom etc. online, had website embedded replays, a really good netcode, ingame chat etc. Really a fine piece of work regarding the competitive capabilities.
    All I’m saying is there definitely could be a place for these games on the PC – I know I would be all over a Soul Calibur or a SF game with that Sakura character.

36. born2expire says:

What is wrong with you people?? Not street fighter fans?? Button Mashers????
    There is a a HUGE difference from “fighting games” and SF, hell i despise fighters (only cuz nothing even comes remotely close to SF!)
    I remember being 14 when SF2 hit, I’d skip school to go play at the local 7-11 and there would be a line of 10 people crowding around the machine, and at my local arcade there was a WALL of SF machines which had 30min waits to play, lets just say if you where a “button masher” your days where numbered. Then SF came out for SNES and me and my friends spent more time playing SF then most asian’s spend playing wow. I also remember working downtown Toronto, hitting up the arcades on my lunch break beating the pants off the 14 yr old asain boys in SF3 when i was in my early twenties. I cannot see I point in my life where I wouldn’t be playing SF, to me Street Fighter is THE reason to be playing video games. Hell, I even have Street Fighter tattoos (i’m in the process of finishing up leg sleeve devoted to Street Fighter)

I was considering a PS3 exclusively for this game, now i can spend that money finding a GOOD arcade stick for my PC even if it means importing it from Japan!

37. Nick R says:

I’ve got the DOS version of Super Street Fighter 2 (on CD-ROM). I had a 486 when I bought it and it didn’t run very well at all. I had to wait till I got a Pentium (well, a Cyrix, which was a bit like a Pentium…) to be able to play it at an acceptable speed.

It also didn’t have any of the Tournament modes from the Mega Drive version.

Also, with no gamepad I had to set up the controls on the keyboard – I used the arrow keys, with Numpad 456 for Light/Med/Heavy punches and 123 for kicks. Unfortunately fireballs and dragon punches were horribly unreliable on the arrow keys (unsurprisingly), so I was limited to the “charge” characters like Guile and M. Bison.

I later bought a cheap pad from Argos just for Super SF2 – unfortunately despite looking a lot like the brilliant second version of the Saturn pad, it only had four buttons that actually had their own functions – all the others were autofire. :(

38. Mr Peckerston says:

“It’s been a while since we had a fighting game”

Scarlet Weather Rhapsody was released on Sunday :/
    plus there’s Melty Blood AC, IaMP, a few Guilty Gears, Big Bang Beat, EFZ, Akatsui Blitzkampf and all the GGPO stuff

and born2expire, PS3 sticks are USB so they should work on the PC. I use a Virtua Stick High Grade for PC fighting/shooting games and it’s perfect, aside from the fact that I have to run joy2key for some games as the stick itself is detected as a POV hat

39. Nick says:

I have the super street fighter 2 turbo collectors edition tin with crappy badge still.

Sadly my dad sold my snes some 10 years ago without asking me so I can’t play it.

=(

40. El Stevo says:

I never liked Street Fighter. Button bashing doesn’t work nearly as well as it does for 3d fighters.

41. Robyrt says:

One Must Fall 2097 was the last good fighter I played on the PC too. It was amazing, ahead of its time, supported internet play and standard 2-on-same-PC, everything. A pity the sequel had crippling budget and camera issues.

As for Street Fighter, I’ve always preferred Virtua Fighter but I’m willing to try this one out just on old Capcom loyalties alone. I’ll buy the 360 version though, in the (reasonable) expectation that it was designed for consoles.

It doesn’t hurt that I have a Hori stick for the 360, so I have all six buttons ready to go instead of using that awful D-pad.

42. eyemessiah says:

The justin vs daigo fight above is sublime.

Here is a vid of all three fights:

I wish we had esports in the UK! Then I could get loud and leary with my mates down the pub or whatever sport is about.

43. Rustkill says:

I’ve always loved fighting games. The thrill of going head to head with a friend in a fighting game never gets old.
    The Street Fighter characters have always held a special place in my heart, so this release is very exciting. I’d never owned a console before getting a Wii recently (because of a great deal – $400 Wii for $100? Sure!) so I’ve always played fighters on PC or at the arcade. I’ve got an X-Arcade unit, so there’s no issues about the controls via PC.

Oh, and saying that you have an equal chance of winning by button mashing is silly. Someone who knows what they are doing will beat a button masher every time.

44. Scandalon says:

RE: Buttonmashing – The only problem is when you’ve *started* to learn what you’re doing, but not really mastered it, and then try and play a buttonmasher. Tried that a few times w/ Soul Calibur / DoA back in my Dreamcast */Moment of Silence/* days…

But I was never able/willing to learn moves that require 3-frame timing, that’s just redonculous….

45. Albides says:

Would it be impolite to mention I was always more of a Mortal Kombat fan?

Those screenshots look furious, though. Italicised for furious emphasis.

46. Al3xand3r says:

Now that they’re making even SF with 3D graphics, what will all the awesome 2D artists they have do? They can’t reduce such talent skill and dedication to mere concept work, I hope they keep making 2D titles… Need moar 2D! This looks nice though, much better than the pos that was the SF EX series…

47. Grigoriy says:

Not to be a spoilsport, but is anybody else a bit worried about the quality of the PC Port?

Capcom’s PC Ports have always seemed sloppy, at best, and some console to PC Ports have always seemed lacklustre because of the developer’s failure to realize that the PC is a much more versatile machine than the consoles are. (Iron Man, most recently. Or Deus Ex 2.) On a side note, Sega is notoriously bad about PC Ports. Likely, PC as gaming is much more established in the states than Japan, where consoles seem to be considered especially.

48. Al3xand3r says:

I don’t think they can do much to fuck up a SF game on PC though. You don’t really need graphics options other than resolution for such a game, maybe also disable some more flashy special attack effects… And all you need to play it is a gamepad anyway so they can’t really fuck up the controls either as that will depend on the quality of your gamepad. Really, it’s the kind of game I can’t see them fucking up no matter how hard they try. It’s just gonna sell shit on PC as PC gamers don’t really play such games… On their PC at least…

Sega’s console games sure have had sloppy ports, but perhaps that will change now they’re also one of the bigger publishers on PC with some great franchises of third party developers under their belt (like the Total War series). I wouldn’t blame them for the quality of Iron Man on PC, rather the actual developers. Not to mention the game was mediocre anyway so it’s all good :P

Comment on this story