Street Fighter Epicamentness

By John Walker on June 2nd, 2008 at 12:09 pm.

I think this is in 2 and a half D.

As the ravages of jetlag cruelly drag me down, I crawl broken and red-eyed from bed to bring you more news of Street Fighter on PC. Was this really worth getting up for? It’s hard to know any more. But it is apparently an EPIC RETURN. That’s good to know. Video below!

So apparently, according to my rawk friend, the music is Faith No More’s Epic. How appropriate. And how disturbing to realise that FNM sounded like the bloody Chilli Peppers in 1990. In more relevant news: Street Fighter IV: pick an art style. Talking of which, some pics in Alec’s post here. Now I’m going back to listening to 1994 Lush singles, so there.

, , , .

1. Lukasz says:

hehe. awesome. Me likez it!

2. eyemessiah says:

Unleash the beast!

3. Albides says:

It’s all very epic, but the only question I want answered is… can you be a cheap bastard and spam Guile’s “soni-soni-soni-sonic boom!” like you could before? How else would I win the single player?

4. Strelok says:

erm, single player?

5. Pavel says:

Holy shit, that brought back lots of memories from playing SF2 on gameboy 12 years ago…I definietely wanna play this, hopefully PC version won’t suck.

6. MeestaNob! says:

Very interested in how this goes.

But, am I the only one who DESPERATELY wishes that it looked more like the heavily animated teaser movie (Rye vs Ken in the grassy field)?

7. Chaz says:

Wow, check out the size of Ryu’s freakishly large feet!

8. Andre Costa says:

“And how disturbing to realise that FNM sounded like the bloody Chilli Peppers in 1990.”

Humm, i think you might have switched that around.

9. terry says:

Is it just me or does that trailer look decidedly 2d? Its like those old 8-bit games that promised “3d world!” on the inlay but turned out to be 2d sprites with masked shadows on an isometric backdrop :(

Not that it looks bad…. just not as obviously 3d-ish as I would’ve expected.

10. James T says:

Bloody ‘Epic’… It’s a damning indictment on all the world (as opposed to a flattering indictment) that this was FNM’s best-loved song.

(Mike Patton’s snarling never fails to unsettle me in Portal. Go Mikey.)

Anyway! Capcom did a website countdown to what turned out to be… this trailer. Except, when the countdown was complete and the site reopened, the trailer wasn’t there, and wouldn’t be for another 9 hours or so, until it debuted with some MMA fight on US cable; nice work, guys. Even nicer work making a trailer constituted entirely of preexisting footage from the dawn of the game’s exposure to the public. Why you’d sell a game using such negatively unrepresentative footage when you presumably have access to the freshest stuff, I don’t know — said footage may be shmick enough to impress newcomers, but then, why talk it up to ‘the fans’ with a whopping great END OF DAYS mystery countdown on a website that only Streetfighter-enthusiasts (who’ve already seen the game in a much better state than this) actually visit? “BEHOLD — SEGMENTS OF SOMETHING YOU ALREADY SAW IN MUCH GREATER DEPTH SIX MONTHS AGO!”

11. Kieron Gillen says:

John: The Red Hot Chilles sounded like FNM, not the other way around. Sort it out!

James T: WE CARE A LOT!

KG

12. Cedge says:

“pick an art style”? What exactly is that supposed to mean? The game looks one way, and the pre-rendered promo trailer looks another way. Not that uncommon.

MeestaNob!: I sure don’t want it looking like the original promo trailer. I prefer to have my games actually, ya know, playable, and a fighter looking anything like that would do nothing to facilitate it’s playability, and instead, would probably detract from it enormously.

Chaz: Well, if you look at the old sprites, they’re pretty huge there, too…

13. John Walker says:

Kieron – I realise that. It’s just, bloody hell, I never knew they were that rubbish. They were ace later in the 90s.

Cedge – I meant for that trailer, Mr Grumpy Chops.

14. Miles says:

That may be the worst song I’ve ever heard ever. I’m rather looking forward to the game.

15. Kieron Gillen says:

Walker: You are an idiot and must never write about music in an RPS post EVER AGAIN.

KG

16. James T says:

Jeez, I’m starting to feel like an antique for remembering when it came out. The Internet is for the young, it seems!… Er, the really young, that is; I’m not actually very old.

Cut a trailer to ‘Cuckoo for Caca’, that’ll turn some damn heads! Controversial statement: ‘King for a Day…’ is their best album.

Hey, can we get a trailer cut to ‘The Final Countdown’? GOB would make a brilliant SF fighter. Who needs fireballs when you have the bafflement of tricks illusion?!

17. Muzman says:

hahaha
    (I don’t care really. I just thought it was funny. I think it’s the production which makes them sound most alike; late 80s huge plate-ed drums and really prominent bass).

I think if most of that clip means anything to you, you’re an old fart…and the target audience (for that particular ad anyway). Worked well I thought.

18. Shariq says:

Looks great. I love how they totally ignored Street Fighter 3.

And by “love” I mean “hate.” Where’s my Makoto at? :(

19. James T says:

Makoto’s apparently a tournament fave, which might give her a good chance for the console version? Along with yer Dudley and Ibuki… I hope so, I love the Duds. But most of all, I’d love to see Elena in this.

20. Radiant says:

Nah they’re distancing themselves from SF3 [it's the pinnacle of fighting games that they can't go anywhere with apparently which is bullshit everybody knows the pinnacle is Garou: Mark of the Wolves].

This bit in a recent interview has me all atingle:
    “In collision detection, initially we were using standard 3D detection, and what that means is that any physical thing in the game is going to have a boundary box around it approximately the same size and shape as the object. The problem with that in something like Street Fighter is that, unless one thing is actually touching another, it’s not going to register as a hit. Whereas is you look at older street fighter games, it was almost fake hit detection.

Sometimes the box was bigger than someone’s arm or hand, because it felt more natural that way, sometimes it was smaller. Or with Dhalsim’s extending arms, the only collision part is the fist itself. With polygons you can’t do that easily. What we ended up doing, because the game didn’t feel natural in parts, it didn’t feel like Street Fighter, is we took the 3D collision detection off and replaced it with old-school 2D detection. So there’s an invisible box drawn around every part of a character that could hurt another character, like the arms, feet, whatever. So if you look at some of the crossover kicks, where you’re kind of over the guy’s head, but you still tag him on the way down? That came about almost by mistake because it was a weird aspect of the collision detection, but now it’s a part of Street Fighter and very hard to simulate with a 3D system. So this feels a lot more like Street Fighter now. We only had a month or two to revamp the whole system, and we think it feels good.

Really, we thought we were doing ourselves a favor by using 3D detection, we thought it would be easier to adjust later for balance issues, as we could just physically change the length of a punch instead of fiddling with all the hit boxes. We ended up doing that, then going back and re-doing it in 2D, but we think it’s better for the game. If you played it at GDC it might have felt a little goofy to you at the time, but this version we have now is very much improved.”

fuck yes.

21. Jimi Hendrix says:

Street fighter is one of the best things to have happened in history.

22. alejo says: