Supreme Ruler Gets Testy

By John Walker on June 3rd, 2008 at 10:20 pm.

If only the world were this colourful.

Hardcore strategy wargame, Supreme Ruler 2020 (indeed, the sequel to 2005′s Supreme Ruler 2010, and 1982′s Supreme Ruler), has offered a quiz. Details and footage below.

Featuring questions based on past or present global events and happenings, it’s designed to test your… wait, no, it’s designed to promote the game, isn’t it? And it works! So if you know in which war Israel took control of the Golan Heights, or from where South Africa gets its alternative petroleum, head over. Then come back here to boast. Here’s how it plays:

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. batolemaeus says:

Oh god, i have absolutely no clue what is happening there, and it looks absolutely dated and graphically 10 years old..

If it is what i think it is, it is about conquering the world, right? And it’s an old school hard core strategy game, right?

Must. Resist. Urge. To. Buy.

For some reason it’s those games that i play the most. I can’t play the polished games à la C&C3, Crysis and the like, but good old Empire Earth or Civ3 steal whole weekends from me..

2. Kommissar Nicko says:

I think I might be going out on a limb, but I believe the state of Texas is invading New Mexico in that video. These are just the sort of murder simulators that will chill…and terrify!

Oh, and I got a 7/10.

3. Him says:

9/10 – But which one did I get wrong?!

4. Rook says:

Some of the questions are a bit dubious in their answers. I’m pretty sure somewhere in south africa they use bio recycling to generate diesel, but it’s not the answer it’s looking for.

5. TychoCelchuuu says:

I haven’t even finished the quiz yet but already I feel much smarter than these people asking me questions about “Nucelar Power” and “Greek and Turkey.” I could get a -4/10 and not feel bad about myself because whoever wrote this clearly doesn’t have the intelligence to cobble together an error free quiz, let alone distill from the entirety of world politics what things a knowledgable person could reasonably know.

6. Pace says:

And I’m pretty sure none of those things have ever happened in my kitchen! (anyone, anyone? bah.)

7. Pod says:

Battlegoat studios?! Awesome name.

Also: I’m excited, but I don’t want to play the _older_ demo, so I fully expect you to inform us all when the demo is out.

8. Nimic says:

I played the earlier one a while back, and I’m not sure I’m up to it. I was more interested in managing.. well, ever other aspect but war.

9. Optimaximal says:

Too think… if this was an article about Supreme Ruler taking on some bold new gameplay type or other innovative features, the article title could have been ‘Supreme Ruler Gets Testes’!!!

Ahh, my coat!

10. Pidesco says:

11. Optimaximal says:

Damn, why can’t I think of a games development company with a name as cool as ‘Battlegoat Studios’ :(

12. Nimic says:

How about “Lethal Tuna Development”?

“Furious Gnu Game Development”

“Party Panda Productions”

13. Jimi Hendrix says:

“You guys should really do a piece on Paradox Interactive. They’re one of the greatest devs/publishers ever.”
    Yea but EU 3 and EU Rome are attempts to make the series more …mainstream and have even gone against the the crowd asking for historical events which is what made HoI/EU1/2/VIcky so fun and as a result EU3 and EU Rome are quite boring.
    And their prices are quite atrocious on the gameersgate which is exclusive outlet for the addon packs. (mainly EU3 here)

As for supreme commander, its looking pretty interesting, i like the idea of how open and ‘epic’ it is but the attempt at 3d is pretty poor.

14. Jeremy says:

7/10. I didn’t know the aircraft carrier question, that’s for sure. I love trivia quizzes!

Comment on this story