Crysis Warhead Is “PC Exclusive”

By John Walker on June 5th, 2008 at 7:51 pm.

Remember when Crytek said they’d no longer be developing any PC exclusives? They weren’t being entirely honest with their future selves. Crysis Warhead is for PC only.

Still no screenshots

The game will indeed feature gor-blimey Psycho (Sergeant Sykes) in the main role (please let Henry Higgins near him before it’s finished), in a story that runs parallel to the events of the original game. So those times when we were away from him? We’ll be finding out what happened. It seems things were far more interesting over the other side of the island, with better weapons, new vehicles and improved graphics. Nomad is going to be pissed when he finds out.

Confusion and quotes below.

“I believe we won’t have PC exclusives as we did with Crysis in future. We are going to support PC, but not exclusive any more.”

Said Cevat Yerli back in April to PC Play. Piracy was thwarting their coffers, and the consoles outsold PC games by 4 or 5 times. Compare and contrast with today’s press release:

“Shipping exclusively for the PC this fall, Crysis Warhead is the first title to be developed at Crytek´s Budapest studio, and is built on a new, enhanced and optimized version of Crytek’s CryENGINE 2 technology.”

More Cevat “April” Yerli:

“We are suffering currently from the huge piracy that is encompassing Crysis. We seem to lead the charts in piracy by a large margin. I believe that’s the core problem of PC gaming: PC gamers that pirate games inherently destroy the platform.”

And now Cevat “June” Yerli:

“We were very pleased with the reception of Crysis from both gamers and media after our launch last year.”

Well, clearly we’re very pleased. But did we really need the previous declaration (and subsequent comments-thread-from-hell)? He continues,

“That being said, one of the key principles of our studio is to always raise the bar. With Warhead, we are focusing on refining our storytelling and game performance, while also delivering more of the visually stunning graphics and immersive, free-roaming gameplay everyone loved in Crysis.”

More details will apparently appear over the summer, and it’s apparently coming out as soon as the Autumn. Meanwhile, the full press release is on the official site.

, , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Feet says:

“This fall” eh?

I still won’t have upgraded my PC enough to play this, or the original, by then. Ho hum.

2. Wurzel says:

“focusing on refining our storytelling”

I don’t think I’m alone in thinking that this would be a far better avenue of investigation than making leaves a bit shinier. :D

3. kuddles says:

It’s not too surprising when you think about it. In order for it to be completed by this fall, this title was probably in at least pre-production before the original was even released, let alone when Cevat made the “no more exclusives” comments. Seeing as how they still assert the original isn’t going to be seen on consoles in it’s current form, it would kind of be silly to make the expansion be multiplatform.

I didn’t actually like Psycho’s character that much, to be honest. But I did love the original game, and setting it around the same timeline would probably be the best way to keep some people satisfied with killing more human enemies. (If it took place directly after the events of the first one, you’ld be pretty much guaranteed to be fighting only aliens).

Also, I hope they at least deal with some of the loose ends. If they still claim that future full-fledged games won’t be PC-exclusives, and that the original Crysis isn’t getting a console ports, that pretty much guarantees they won’t finish the supposed trilogy. It would suck to have the cliffhanger forever.

4. Rogue says:

I wonder what happened to those pesky pirates. :P

5. kuddles says:

@Rogue: I’ld be willing to bet that this game will have the same restrictive DRM that they put on Mass Effect. Whether you like that kind of thing or not, at the very least it would stop 0-day piracy, which I’m sure was the worst problem Crysis had.

6. Arsewisely says:

Parallel plot, eh. Is the same disappointing alien ending bit an inevitability then?

7. Jonathan says:

So piracy ‘eh?

8. Rob says:

*shrugs*

I’m glad the sales came through they were hoping for, and their subsequent dismounting from the piracy bandwagon. Too early to say that it bodes well for a future lack of dire forcasting, but one can hope.

9. Meat Circus says:

@kuddles:

You’re right, it did stop zero-day piracy of Mass Effect.

Instead it promoted -14 day piracy.

10. Rob says:

@Meat Circus

Well, the release date differential ‘promoted’ that, perhaps, but there was no successful -14, 0, or even 6 day piracy from the US street date.

11. Meat Circus says:

PIRACYLOLS

12. Xerxes says:

Well said

13. John P (Katsumoto) says:

Roll on autumn, assuming psycho was having fun killing koreans, “Take that ya korean bastards, i’m garn ter sneak up on ya from behind and play the bleedin’ spoons chicken pen ya least expect it, then sneak Hammer and Tack into the bloomin’ shadows like a Tea Leaf .” (courtesy of the cockney rhyming slang generator.. hmm) style. Plus, it will continue the vast conspiracy theory that all English people are from London or country manors, which i’m all for.

14. restricted3 says:

Heh, more of the same and for the platform they hate so much. Well, al least on even-numbered days, on odd-numbered days everything is great and they’re really happy with their sales.

*rolls eyes*

15. MeestaNob! says:

Fuck everyone, I’m looking forward to this.

16. terry says:

“We will never develop for the PC again as they are all a bunch of thieves (except people with the cutting edge NVidia 11011)”

17. Chris R says:

Well, I didn’t pirate Crysis and loved it to bits (particularly the first 2/3rds of the game). This is great news! I actually kinda like Psycho too, so this should be cool.

I must have played the first 4 or 5 “sections” about 3 or 4 times each, trying out different approaches each time. Man.. just talking about it is making me want to go back and play a map or two.

18. Dean says:

It’s more an ‘expandalone’ than straight sequel anyways no?

19. ViscountGrizzley says:

It’s promising to see them acknowledge Crysis’ weakness. That story was SciFi Original awful.

Also, Euphoria plz.

20. Jewce says:

Im deffinately looking forward to it. I didn’t find psyho as annoying as most people for some reason, maybe because I was raised on all those old british sitcoms.

21. Dead Fish says:

Oh, this is going to have one hell of a DRM…

22. Acosta says:

More Crysis for PC is good in my book.

23. SuperNashwan says:

I can’t say I’m surprised when they’ve said that they couldn’t run CryEngine 2 on consoles because of memory requirements or something.

24. Optimaximal says:

Well, when the current build can barely run adequately in 2GB of system RAM, what hope does it have in the 512MB/256MB available in the 360 & PS3 respectively?

25. Taxman says:

I’d assume whats going to happen is that Crytek Germany is no longer working on PC exclusives and will do multi-platform titles.

Crytek Budapest (Crysis Warhead devs) will work on side projects that could continue to be PC exclusive or whatever.

Optimaximal – thats comparing oranges and apples the closed systems of consoles dont have anywhere near the overhead a Windows PC does but of course trade off’s would have to be made for a game like Crysis. And the Cryengine 2 has no problems running on either console as it was shown off behind closed doors at one of the last trade shows.

Crytek very much want a piece of the middleware pie and all the money for that is the console industry.

26. Jochen Scheisse says:

As long as their primary engine can’t be used on consoles, the games on that engine will be PC exclusive. That’s common sense, really, did you expect them to throw away the engine because they are pissed about piracy and comparably low sales? No, they will need to use it for 2-3 games until it’s even economically feasible to think about developing a new engine, because it’s really all they got (as usual with FPS developers). Prime example of Schadenfreude here.

And yes, of course the engine would probably run on a console. Question is, considering all the eye candy put in there exclusively for high end systems, how much of a buy argument would a CryTek engine running on ~25% capacity be compared to all the other available games like Gears of War 2 and whatnot? And I don’t want to be unfair, but 99% FPS sell exclusively because of eye candy. Later on people then sometimes say stuff like “oh look, the story’s not completely retarded – that’s a step forward” or “this sniper disembowler of the heavens 4 is the best weapon I ever used in a FPS”. Yes, there are exceptions, and if I’d need 2 hands to count all the commercially successful exceptions of the last 5 years, I’d be surprised.

27. cyrenic says:

I saw sales figures for Bioshock the other day, apparently they’ve sold 2.2 million units so far on BOTH the 360 and PC. And the latest figures for Crysis were 3 million. Maybe it’s figures like that that’s got them changing their song and dance.

28. Taxman says:

cyrenic it was 2.2million for the Xbox 360/PC combined for Bioshock not individually. The vast bulk of the sales were on the Xbox 360 side something like 1.5m or higher but I cannot recall the exact figure as it was too long ago.

There’s no way Crysis sold 3 million, they managed to sell 1 million in worldwide sales.

29. cyrenic says:

@Taxman

Yeah, I meant 360/PC combined, I guess my wording was ambiguous there.

I got that 3 million figure from a claim on Crysis’ Wikipedia that said PCGamer reported sales of 3 million, but that has since been edited out. My error there, that’s what I get for not actually looking at sources on wikipedia :P.

30. Muzman says:

I may have been watching Absolute Power too much, but I can’t help wondering if their anti PC ‘they’re all pirate scum’ rant might have been part of some percieved toeing of the console PR line to help secure some particular deal.
    Now it’s either gone through or fallen through they can do what they like.

31. freakshow says:

As long as we have no figures on steam and d2d, we will never know the actual figures. I for one am downloading all the games that are being published these days on steam.

And according to a source from EA, Crysis beat EA’s expectations of 1 million copies.

Crysis will be always the kind of game that will keep selling steadily but slowly into the future, maily because as more people get updated to the most recent hardware, they always wanna make their toys shine by playing Crysis. I feel rather certain it will get to the 3 million mark at the end of this year.