Doesn’t Sound Too Bad. I’ll Try To Stay Awake.

By John Walker on June 5th, 2008 at 11:38 am.

Ew, kissing!

When I was your age, videogames were called movies. If you hadn’t heard yet, there is to be a game of The Princess Bride. Well, a casual one at least. Licensing the IP for the movie, Worldwide Biggies have taken five familiar casual game ideas and matched them to the story of the movie. Details and video below.

Animated, and certainly aimed far from the hardcore market, this does seem to intrigue me more than the usual casual game collection. Obviously that’s in a big part due to the license – not loving the movie automatically secedes you from the human race – but also because of the minds behind it. This is most starkly revealed in a presentation from Febuary where WW Biggies CEO goes in-depth into his understanding of the movie from the perspective of Booker’s Seven Basic Plots, and how this applies to game design.

One thing I can’t figure out is who’s providing the voices. According to the developer’s blog they were intending to use sound-alikes back in December. But they also implied they were approaching the actors. Listening to the Peter Falk intro here, it’s a pretty fine impression if it’s an impression. And the “inconceivable” in the footage below seems spot on. A USA Today article from May states,

“Actors from the film whose voices will be used in the game: Robin Wright Penn (Buttercup), Mandy Patinkin (Inigo Montoya) and Wallace Shawn (Vizzini).”

Which could mean samples, or original recording. Hopefully WW Biggies will let us know soon. There should be a demo soon, and the full game is out on the 11th.

__________________

« | »

, , , , .

1. Bobsy says:

“The Princess Bridegame”. Something about the way she says that… like it’s a game that we all play, at some point in our lives.

2. Optimaximal says:

I can see the sequel now…
    “Thai Bride Game.com” – A real world social network game where micropayments can fund the purchase of a lady from thailand of dubious sexuality (and sex!)

3. Nick says:

I prefered the book… but yeah the film is awesome. Not sure what to think about the game though.

4. Phil says:

Following the conceit of the book – wouldn’t it work better if the developers claimed they discovered a complete game from the 80′s and simply translated the code, editing out the dull bits and making it suitable for a general audience?

5. H says:

I’m concerned it might be Dragon’s Lair: The Princess Bride.

6. Albides says:

Not to be confused with the Princess Bridge game, about which the website says a demo is coming soon.

Er, this game looked like it stepped out of 15 years ago. All it needs is the crazy logic of Roberta Williams, but I think she went to Mars using a rubber chicken, a toothpick and pepper shaker.

But no, on closer inspection, it looks more like a collection of minigames mixed with adventure game elements. I think. The site does an awful job of telling you just what it’s about. Other than Princess Brides or Bridges.

7. itsallcrap says:

She’d better have a flakcannon tucked away in that frock.

8. Paul Barnett says:

@Phil

When you say conceit of the book, do you mean it was an old book edited down or do you mean it really wasn’t an old book editied down at all? Just checking because I always thought it was an old book edited down and if that turns out to be untrue its another Llyod Mangram moment for me.

9. cyrenic says:

I actually thought that “inconceivable” was pretty terrible. Are you sure you’re not wishing too hard for this game? Maybe I just expect too much :P.

Edit: Paul, you’re correct, it’s an old book that was edited down into a new book, which was then edited down into a movie.

10. Rob says:

@Paul

There was no S. Morgenstern, he and his book are just creations by Goldman for The Princess Bride (cite).

11. Ben Abraham says:

Well… Andre the Giant DOES have a posse, so I might check it out.

12. cyrenic says:

@Rob

Ha, I remember reading that stuff about Goldman and Steven King and thinking it was real. Thanks for that link and setting me straight.

13. Nick says:

Yes, all the editing and parts where he talks about what was edited were all parts of the book itself, it’s a joke I greatly enjoyed. Especially as the version I have has extra bits where he talks about how he was passed over in favour of Steven King to abridge the follow up book. All very amusing and (I thought so anyway) wonderfully clever.

The best part is always when someone doesn’t realize it.

14. Fumarole says:

I don’t think it’d be quite the same without Andre’s voice. Anybody want a peanut?

15. Bobsy says:

Dirty Dancing sets precedent? What other inappropriate movies of old can we expect to be turned into low-budget cash-in-em-ups? Answers on a postbox. Card. Thing.

16. Andrew Farrell says:

Before Sunrise.

17. Zeno says:

That “inconceivable” was anything but spot on.

18. Vollgassen says:

it looks like some fanmade deviantart flash animation
    what is the point

19. Paul Barnett says:

@Rob

Another Mangram moment, my life is equally shattered and enhanced at the same time. Wonderful.