BioShock 3 Announced, Sort Of

By John Walker on June 6th, 2008 at 1:18 pm.

The finest bit of photoshop you're ever likely to see.

Who cares whether BioShock 2 will be any good without Levine at the helm, BioShock 3 has been announced! Gamespot spoke to Take-Two’s chairman, Strauss Zelnick, who suggested that the third game in the series would be released to coincide with Gore Verbinki’s film of the original story.

This came about when asked if the next game and movie would align. He said,

“It’s unlikely that the picture would be released to coincide with BioShock 2. It would be more likely that it would be released coincidentally with BioShock 3. That also remains to be seen.”

BioShock 2 is roughly scheduled for the third quarter of 2009, with the film tentatively set for 2010.

, , , , .

1. Jonas says:

[cynicism]So that’d give them 1 year to develop Bioshock 3? Sounds like a typical movie tie-in schedule then :-/

2. Gilzor says:

I think I’m more excited for BioShock 2 than I ever was for the first, thanks to Jordan Thomas being creative director. I think Levine is a legend, but Thomas is also worthy of similar accolades thanks to his design of Fort Frolic and The Shalebridge Cradle.

That, and the fact he was the first person I ever interviewed when I was working as a games journalist. Lovely, lovely man.

3. CrashT says:

I think the best part of that announcement was the line about how Take Two consider a one every three years cycle to be the optimal release schedule for BioShock games. That’s probably the most sensible release schedule I’ve ever seen from a major publisher.

4. akbar says:

But really…. was Bioshock THAT good? I found it pretty and clever, but not really interesting or fun [hides under desk]

5. Alex says:

I’d rather play a new BioShock than, say, Doom 4..

It’s clear though that Take Two’s chairman is doing what chairmen are supposed to do – speak in superlatives that are almost completely unconnected to what is actually happening in any developer studio.

6. itsallcrap says:

I know what you mean akbar. It was a good game, but not really a good FPS, if that makes sense. The combat never really felt fluid enough to me.

7. Grant Gould says:

Me, I’m waiting for Bioshock 7.

8. cyrenic says:

@akbar

I can agree Bioshock was a bit underwhelming. After killing a splicer for the 900th time I realized the shooter aspects of it were bogging the game down. I think the game would have been much stronger if the core gameplay would have been about exploration and had much less combat. But you have to appeal to the mass market to sell copies, hence the endless waves of splicers to shoot up.

Edit: Awesome copy/paste logo for the story btw.

9. luphisto says:

I thought that bioshock was one of the best games i ever played. BUT they should have ended it at the andrew ryan scene as everything afterwards felt LONG and drawn out and it was a definit taint on my opinion of the game. I hope bioshock2 treats me better but i doubt it will :(

edut: also bioshock 2 is damned to be nailed by fans of the original

10. Pidesco says:

I freaking hate franchises.

11. Pavel says:

And let the Milkage begin!
    Bioshock 1 was nice, but they should just make new awesome IP.

12. brog says:

meh, bioshock -1 all the way.

13. Nick says:

@Jonas that’s a point, unless they’ve gone all Call Of Duty and have another team making it even as we speak.

14. AndrewC says:

Or they could be producing them back to back, with a lot of shared assets and reduced game lengths. That always works with the movies!

More of the same, with some nice level design, an extra couple years to develop the existing game mechanics and the shoving in of a bunch of concepts they couldn’t get to work during the original’s development will be fun enough i suppose, but it’s not much to get excited about, really. A couple of unnecessary but ignorable gimmick mechanics to distinguish the individual entires thrown in too. Woop-do-doo.

I’m with this pidesco – I refuse to have franchise loyalty. the very word removes the joy from what felt like a game with a lot of passion behind it.

15. Aubrey says:

“unless they’ve gone all Call Of Duty and have another team making it even as we speak.”

That’s certainly not my understanding. The people who wanted to work on Bioshock 2, who were involved in the first, moved on to work on it. New hires will be a dead cert, but there’s plenty of core team members from the original.

16. Al3xand3r says:

Lol, double C for the 3. The shadows are upside down. Funny. Anyway, I agree this is not really a confirmation. They’d have to see how well 2 is developed and how well it sells before deciding 100% on 3 me thinks. Movie will probably be shit.

17. GothikX says:

Bioshock was a big let-down for me… did I comment on this before? It always seems I have a big rant prepared for this. I was led to believe it would be some spiritual successor to the magnificent System Shock series, and instead I got a watered-down FPS (granted, with some nice visuals and an ever-so-mildly interesting back-story). I got ripped off. Booo!

Coincidentally, I couldn’t care less for any sequels.

18. MeestaNob! says:

Well to be honest I’m far less interested in the sequel now that I know it will be hamstrung to accomodate a third game.

The poor ending to the original game really used up a lot of credits with me but I was willing to see if they took the criticisms on board, but I dont think it matters a great deal now.

[waits for something else to play]

19. Dogman says:

I always thought the FPS part of Bioshock was one of the most brilliant elements. There was no single weapon that could be used to kill enemies -even regular splices- you always needed to be creative and use a combination of skills and weapons or even the environment to kill enemies. And you couldn’t rely on the same one thanks to the sparseness of ammo. Compare this to every other FPS where once you get the rocket launcher or lightning gun you just use that the entire rest of the game. The only thing Bioshock had that was almost comparable to this was Telekenesis, which was a 1-shot kill when using a dead body, but even that didn’t work on the more powerful enemies and it required that there be a dead body around.

20. CLLMM says:

Yeah, Bioshock just seemed like System Shock 2 Lite to me. No RPG element, no inventory, no real horror. It was enjoyable, but I have both SSs installed and Bioshock is no longer on my HD. I’ll play it again at some point, but I’m in no hurry.

21. Aubrey says:

I agree with Dogman, but I’m biased.

Also, I fail to believe that a game not having certain RPG tropes stops it from being good. Inventory management is fun, in of itself, but frankly, I don’t miss it if there’s something more worthwhile to pursue. Too often, shifting around objects in inventories are the MOST fun part of RPGs. Which is sort of depressing, really.

22. cyrenic says:

@Dogman

Just goes to show the range of experiences you can have in that game. It might be because I’m so obsessed with efficiency, but once I got the crossbow that was all I used. Even against the boss :P. I also got bored with the plasmids half way through the game, and quit using them. I think if they would have mixed up the enemies a little bit instead of just slapping a new texture on an existing one and giving them more health, the FPS elements would have been more engaging.

23. Optimaximal says:

I wouldn’t even call this an announcement. Zelnick quite clearly states that the film won’t co-incide with Bioshock 2, rather with a hypothetical third game based on the release schedule for #2.

You journos – all hype, no trousers!

24. wcaypahwat says:

Meh, I haven’t even finished it yet. Its hard enough to bring myself to complete a single level every couple of months.

Hopefully they’ll have listened to the masses and at last attempt to make the game we waited for.

25. Someyoungguy says:

So, in short, Irrational develops a new IP to demonstrate the powerful storytelling ability and artistic merit of video games, then they try to milk it.

Sounds like a winning strategy. I’m surprised we don’t see this more often.

26. Muzman says:

I wonder if the timing tie-in will ensure B3 is a third person action game where you stomp around Rapture as a Big Daddy riveting things and rescuing little sisters.

27. John Walker says:

Optimaximal – take a closer look at the headline.

28. Deutoronomy says:

I played Doom 3 after Bioshock – and I felt it was a much better game on every level.

29. James T says:

Are you having a go? Playing Bioshock on the hardest setting, around-about Apollo apartments or so, I had every ammo type filled to max, and maximum cash. I would’ve had to empty a clip and a half into everyone I saw if I wanted to put a dent into my supplies. Even after Big Dadddy fights, I’d be back to full a room or two later; Bioshock’s the least challenging game I’ve played since Dynamite Dux for the Master System eighteen years ago (although that was awesome; hey, how about that, he was in ‘Sonic the Fighters’!).

30. redrain85 says:

I pre-ordered Bioshock sight-unseen, because it was being developed by Irrational. And I never pre-order games. I made an exception for Bioshock, based on the past reputation of the developer.

But that’s the first, and last, time I ever do that. Bioshock was a huge disappointment to me. The final game bore little resemblance to many of the descriptions and promises that were made during development.

When Bioshock 2 arrives, I definitely will not be pre-ordering or buying it until I’ve read reviews from fellow gamers. Not the gaming press. The press slobbered all over Bioshock and heaped enormous amounts of praise on it, while conveniently neglecting to mention important things like – oh, I don’t know – the horrible copy protection? The almost complete absence of the survival-horror aspect that was present in the System Shock series? The arcadey shoot-’em-up gameplay?

Now Zelnick’s already talking about Bioshock 3? And there’s a movie on the way? And a cell phone game? Feh. Doesn’t instill much confidence in me that future iterations of Bioshock won’t get worse, instead of better.

31. Johnson says: