Clearing Up Crytek Confusion

By John Walker on June 7th, 2008 at 12:16 pm.

Some PC fans arrive at Crytek HQ

Next-Gen.biz seem to have gotten some clarity out of Crytek over their platform plans for the Crysis series. Crysis Warhead was long in development as a PC exclusive before studio boss Cevat Yerli announced they were going multi-platform.

However, from now on their games will be released across the range of platforms, obviously still including the PC. Crytek’s business manager, Harald Seeley, added,

“[W]e had no desire or intention to disappoint our loyal PC fans.”

Um… There were possibly slightly more uplifting approaches that could have been available. Anyhow, he states that the different platforms will receive different treatments.

“Of course we’re also aware of the danger of making a game that is only designed for one particular audience and platform, and failing to meet the needs of the others. So any game we create will always offer something unique on each platform and will be carefully tuned to both the capabilities and strengths of that platform, as well as the intended audience.”

Interestingly, Seeley seemed reluctant to leap up and down waving anti-piracy banners, choosing to keep rather calm about the whole business.

“While we are certainly very concerned about piracy and copy protection, we are also concerned about the potential opposite problem, that of inconveniencing legitimate buyers with newer measures that interfere too greatly with their enjoyment of the product.”

He adds that whatever copy protection they do use, they’ll be very unlikely to announce it before release.

And no play.tm, it isn’t “another nail in the coffin of PC gaming” that a publisher is making another PC exclusive, and then continuing to develop for the PC along with other platforms. If you don’t stop this nonsense I’ll set Gabe Newell on you.

, , .

1. Jonathan says:

Oh who are we kidding. PCs are completely dead. I mean does anyone even own a computer anymore?

2. Fazer says:

You’re right! For instance, I’m writing this post from my console with a… gamepad… controller….

No, wait.

3. Mo says:

Actually, you can hook up keyboards to the xbox360, ps3 and wii. ;)

4. John P (Katsumoto) says:

You can? I wish someone had told me that when I was trying to type in my stupid bloody details into xbox live over at my mate’s house, using only a drum kit.

5. Frans Coehoorn says:

And you can also hook up your Guitar Hero guitar to your pc. Now that’s gnarly.

6. Jonathan says:

So there aren’t exclusives but they are releasing different games for each system?

Reply to Frans
    Sure is. As long as you find guitar hero more pleasant than the prospect of a vinegar based enema. So thats me out.

7. rei says:

Fair enough. Companies like Valve and Blizzard are only able to stay faithful to the PC because they actually make good games. Outfits pushing out uninspired trite like Crysis will, of course, need to throw it at as many walls as possible to get some of it to stick.

:D

8. WCAYPAHWAT says:

Not even our peripherals are console exclusive!!! Woe!

to be honest, most of the time I access this site on my mohbile pone.

In any case, I’ll keep watching how Crytek is going, but I’m not going to get overly excited about it. Hell, I only bought Crysis because there was nothing else out at the time. Well, thats a lie, but yeah.

9. Sucram says:

Looks like we won’t have to boycott Crytek then. Glad to know we can dutifully go out and torrent this game.

Wait I mean.. ah who am I kidding.

10. restricted3 says:

11. Kalain says:

The announcement sounds like a massive come down to me. Seems like someone made Crytek think about what they were doing.

After looking at the lineup for games coming out in the near celestail equinox (because games now take ages to come out), PC’s have the largest amount of original and exclusive titles. All the while, our console bretheran will have to put up with Project Gear Gaiden 47 with all new realistic latrine movements.

12. Alex Hopkinson says:

In the future all typing will be done on plastic music peripherals.

13. darkripper says:

Alex Hopkinson won an internet.

14. Jonathan says:

Talking of peripherals. why does the PC not have a single decent power glove type keyboard. Preferably in the style of the Inquisitor from Red Dwarf.

15. terry says:

Further proof that the whole “exclusive” thing is a load of shit.

Where is my PC Bully :(

16. Meat Circus says:

I don’t even know what a PC is.

That’s how dead PC gaming is.

17. Toby says:

PS3 supposedly has mouse and keyboard support for games. I’m curious as to how UT3 plays on it with that setup.

PC gaming will never die. Its just shifitng to DLC through steam and other stuff.

And another Crytek, PC exlcusive this year!? F’ing awesome! I’m just hoping its more ‘open world’ play how u wish levels like the first half of crysis.

18. Meridian says:

Crytek is doing this at the worst possible time.

They should have done it at console launch. Then started to focus on PCs now. Since PCs are poised to pull ahead of consoles big time w/ quad cores becoming common & graphics cards taking the biggest leap w/ the next iteration since the 6800/X800 was released.

They will lose their place as the developer leading the edge in graphics. Which is really the only thing going for them.

19. Sam says:

<3 sarcasm.
    Anyway, as long as Valve stays 100% exclusive (other than shoddy ports), other companies continue to make good exclusives, we keep getting the best versions of multiplats, the indie gaming scene stays alive and genres like RTS stay completely inaccessible to consolites, I really couldn’t care less who calls pc dying.

20. fuller says:

>“He adds that whatever copy protection they do use, they’ll be very unlikely to announce it before release”
    >Sentences like this wipe out the really small confidence I have on Crytek right now.

Why does it matter that they won’t pre-announce it? You’ll be able to find out (at the latest) a day after the release anyway.
    It does seem to imply it’ll be something fairly restricted, but you already knew stardock isn’t publishing it so there’s no surprise there.