Wall-E Footage

By Jim Rossignol on June 11th, 2008 at 6:37 am.

So, it looks as if the game of Pixar’s latest animation, Wall-E, might actually be avoid the pitfall trap of inexcusable uselessness into which most such game licenses end up plunging. Good thing too, as kids games should not be neglected, even if it is grown ups who command the computer-game cashfunds. After the jump: some excitably cute and destructive robotic in-game footage.

Plus, y’know, it’s a cute robot.

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. SuperMatt says:

Although the game does look quite fun and original, even those videos couldn’t hide how repetitive it’s going to be.

See the big BL sign? Throw something at it and something will move. See that platform you just moved so you can get across to the other side of the level? The bottom will drop out as you pass across it so be quick.

I can’t see anyone playing this game for more than 10 minutes.

2. Lukasz says:

yeah. it is like this game about teleportation from Valve.
    you create one door then another door till you finally reach the end of the game. Very repetitive. no action at all.

3. Valentin Galea says:

I’ll take repetitive fun like this every day!

I like it how really fast and smooth he(it) moves!

4. The Shed says:

Fucksake, I lost my comment. I’ll try to remember it best I can.

Looks pleasingly physicsed up and smooth. I like how not only can Wall-E handle cubes, he can also be handled like a cube. Crazy guy.

While it does look a bit repetetive from those videos (the tutorial levels?), reserve judgement until it comes out. It could have some God of War syndrome; only a few real gameplay mechanics, but done in such a fresh, cinematic way it’s always fun. Although it was annoying seeing the BL sign turn up in ther second video.

“…Kids games should not be neglected, even if it is grown ups who command the computer-game cashfunds.”

So true. I moan with sadness and sympathy whenever one of my younger cousins buys a rubbish game based on the cover of the box looking child-friendly or jovial. Then, when they put it in, you can tell they’re disappointed by it, but they play it any way, trying to prove that it can be fun. So sad =’(

5. fearian says:

I agree, I forsee this as a very liniar platforming game with some nice physics and animation.

I did notice some other things though. Around 90% in the second movie, walle uses a power cube or something to power up a yellow device, and then stops to wait for the camera to catch up, nervously moving along a thin plank while the camera rotates around. It looks to me like the old change of camera = change of direction problem in third person games.

also at some point in movie, walle tries to pick up a blue object but has to reposition himself so he’s exactly on top of it. hinting at some finickey controls

of course this s all speculation, and I would wait for a demo.

6. Yontan says:

@SuperMatt I can’t see anyone playing this game for more than 10 minutes.

…i take it you don’t like mario bros or half-life or any platform and puzzle games then? repetitive = win for those games. They got people to play for hours without having to think very hard. perfect mindless gaming (i’m going to chose to ignore the end level puzzles which frequently require immense amounts of concentration).

This looks like shed-load of fun and very child-friendly with violence and sex no where to be seen. I guess that’s why it probably won’t be widely embraced by the gaming community.

7. Gap Gen says:

What about an Army of Two-a-like, with two Wall-Es that can throw each other, etc?

8. James says:

The gameplay strikes me as like Lego Star Wars etc.

9. fearian says:

true, and I really didnt like that, so maybe this will be ok after all.

10. Chris R says:

Why are the vid’s down? :(

You make me cry gametrailers.