Bling Gnome, They Call Him

By Jim Rossignol on June 18th, 2008 at 6:56 am.

No, it’s not our new nickname for Alec, it’s an a heavily-pimped new feature for NCSoft’s under-rated free MMO, Dungeon Runners. I really like the ‘Runners, and it’s a shame that it doesn’t get a bit more press in these EnMMOrged times. Anyway, it’s a gnome that eats your crappy loot and literally shits out gold, so you don’t have to return to the quest hub to clear out your inventory. He comes free with the boxed version of Dungeon Runners – so if you’re a hardened Runner you’ll want to grab a copy to make your free game easier, while new paying players get the extra feature from scratch.

You can watch the hi-larious commercial for Bling Gnome after the jump.

Whee!

__________________

« | »

, , , , .

1. Jeremy says:

I am amused, thoroughly.

2. Feet says:

“EnMMOrged”

Oh, bravo.

Bravo.

3. Cigol says:

Seriously, wtf!

4. roBurky says:

Highlighting the flaws in your game in the advert is a very unusual approach.

5. Ubernutz says:

Word.

6. Janek says:

Interesting. Also:

Wacky waving inflatable arm flailing bling gnome! Wacky waving inflatable arm flailing bling gnome! Wacky waving inflatable arm flailing bling gnome!

Hi I’m Al Harrington, etcetc.

7. Flubb says:

Diable II needed one of those

8. PetitPiteux says:

any chance it’s related to another bling gnome happening to rule a certain European country that just got kicked out of the euro yesterday?

(but as far as I know, that one do not takes crap and give gold, but takes gold and say crap. Or something.)

(and incidentally the ones that did the kicking out are also ruled by some kind of bling gnome. So for a new feature, its kinda clich√© already…)

9. Mazo says:

Fffffuck that’s cool. I would actually pay for that, and a lot of the other premium features in Dungeon Runners. In fact, I’m gonna reinstall it just because of how awesome that commercial was.

10. Arnulf says:

Going on Gametrailers these days is very disturbing.

First one finds four movies about the four bosses of MGS4. They’re that creepy that they scared me out of the uncanny valley. It didn’t help that I had to watch them all four. H.R. Giger would’ve loved them, I’m sure.

Then that TF2 sniper vid, which at the same time is so packed with comic violence, one could choke on one’s own laughter.

And now this bling gnome.

What’s the world coming to?

By the way, Dungeon Siege had a similar, albeit not so funny scheme. You could convert loot on the groun into gold right away with a spell. Of course, it was at a worse rate than just going back to town and selling the stuff.

11. JamesOf83 says:

I’d love this kind of thing for other MMOs. I understand from a design perspective you need to encourage players to return to towns, and to have inventory management so there are advantages to larger bags, but if I could convert the crap to gold in the field it would be cool. Like the really basic spell in Dungeon Siege that let you convert objects to gold.

12. The_B says:

YEEEEEEAAAAHHHHHH BOOOYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

“I’M THIRSTY!”

(Seriously, this week is a Good One for comedic trailers. More please devs!)

13. GC says:

In the hack n slash Fate you had a pet, dog or cat, who ran back to the town to sell your loot while you continue hacking and slashing your way down that one 100-lvl dungeon.

14. Mazgurth says:

This makes me want to start playing Dungeon Runners again. I played the beta and it was really fun.
    Too bad I’m addicted to Tabula Rasa at the moment -____-

15. James T says:

No-one else reminded of the little bastards in Golden Axe?

16. Dave says:

I thought Dungeon Runners was grindy and boring within the first couple of hours. Also it played like a single-player game, but with lag.

17. Jaxtrasi says:

I have one of these in my NWN module. Other than a genie (notice that the one in Jade Empire is useless and doesn’t actually do this), I couldn’t come up with a decent justification for it. I’m gratified that a whole team of professionals couldn’t either.

Actually could someone who is familiar with the game tell me, does he give you a lower percentage rate of return on the item than returning to a conventional vendor would?

18. ran93r says:

Didn’t like Runners at all, much prefer Fate.

19. SwiftRanger says:

Nice trailer, game is really funny too but the gameplay itself is pretty horrid. Small and extremely linear adventure areas =/= fun hack & slashing.

I have to say I only played it a few months ago, so I don’t know if they made the game so much better now.

20. malkav11 says:

It’s really not an MMO. It’s a Diablo clone with a bit more community integration. And it layers ridiculousness thinly over really repetitious, uninteresting play. A bling gnome is a funny way to address bad design, but it’s still bad design.

21. Skree says:

@ Flubb

Diablo II did, essentially. Town Portals had pretty much the same function.

22. KindredPhantom says:

A Gnome that eats your unwanted loot and shits out gold in return..

That is awesome!

23. Chris R says:

Does Dungeon Runners have the same level of item collecting that Diablo 2 did? I played D2 for 3-4 years doing item finding runs with my Magic Find characters… lots of fun for me. yes… I’m an Item Whore…

24. Magnus says:

It seems that people either love or hate Dungeon Runners. There’s no grey area. ^^

Anyways, Dungeon Runners is a game who shouldn’t be taken so seriously, but instead it’s suppose to give a laugh and some fun. Reading the quests-infos I wonder if the Devs don’t live for Monty Python and Terry Pratchett. :P

The Bling Gnome is really cool. I got mine a couple of days ago and he’s really helpful. I don’t have to go back to town often at all now, and I can afford to bring with me much more potions since I don’t need to fill up my inventory with crappy items I just pick up to sell.

25. Punjab says: