Dead Space: “Strategic Dismemberment”

By Jim Rossignol on June 21st, 2008 at 9:58 am.

Dead Space’s hideous mutant monster things sure look like a fun time. EA are aiming to bring it to our computing devices for this coming Halloween.

__________________

« | »

, .

1. Stijn says:

“Telekinesis Gun”

2. Optimaximal says:

The more and more I see this game, the more it turns into a Resident Evil-style survival horror game and thus the less interested I get…

3. Skree says:

Anyone else reminded of an article in PCG not so long ago? Alec Meer, in fact, talking about dismemberment as a gameplay device in AvP and how nobody has attempted it since… hhm :P

4. Kadayi says:

I like the approach, but I know I’m too much of a scaredy cat to ever play this game ;)

5. Gurrah says:

For some reason I just love that handgun/multitool thing with the three target painters.

6. Arsewisely says:

I like the dismemberment style of combat but I hope they don’t make it THE game concept so you’re bored sick of it by the half-way mark. Reminds me of The Thing.

7. Kareem says:

Interesting concept, and I’m in complete support of the zombie limbs-tearing genre. However the environments look terrifyingly uninteresting, like they’re ripped off of Doom 3 or Quake 4.

8. Kast says:

Dismemberment is a welcome technique but it shouldn’t be the ONLY solution to the problem of ‘nasty alien/monster wants to feast on your innards’. That just invites repetition and is likely to quickly get tedious.

9. Heliocentric says:

I’ll suggest that both fire and venting people into space should be methods of killing aliens/undead/monster/bastards however, should you set people on fire and then vent the atmosphere? You’ll likely just put out the fire.

Some kind of acid gun, melt people, and of course, the old fashioned Gib with a rocket.

10. SatansSoldier says:

This is the first trailer for this game that makes me actually want to play it. Oh, and strategic dismemberment is one of the best gameplay catches I’ve heard this year.

11. Pidesco says:

This is looking more and more like an hectic action type of horror game, instead of a psychological, SS2 style horror game.

Which can be fine of course. It’s just that hectic action games are a dime a dozen while tense, deep horror games are, well, nowhere to be seen.