Left4Dead: Shakeycam Bonanza

By Jim Rossignol on June 23rd, 2008 at 7:43 pm.

I’ve a sneaking suspicion that these won’t stay up on GameTrailers, so take a look while they’re hot. Past the jump there’s a whole bunch of shakeycam videos of Left 4 Dead being played, and they show off some of the best stuff in the game. Left 4 Dead, in case you weren’t paying attention, is the 4-player co-op zombie shooter multiplayer type thing from Valve. I’ve played it, it’s entirely awesome, and it’s scheduled for release on November 4th.

This one shows someone being tongued to death by one of the boss infected, The Smoker. See how the co-op humans all yell to each other contextually – “Reloading!” – that’s automagic, and doesn’t require you to do anything.

This next video shows the player being vomited on by a boomer – another boss infected – something which brings the rabid zombies a-screamin’ and a-rendin’.

The third clip has some intense firefights going on, and a couple of boss infected attacks. Watch out for the smoker hanging one of the players by the neck right at the start. Players can be boss infected, but the AI performs the same kind of ambush tricks.

Like Max Payne, the Left 4 Deadites do like those tasty pills. (To ease the pain.)

Of course this all old news to me. Yeah…

(Excited!)

, .

1. Jonathon Halliwell says:

It’s going to be so good, I really cannot wait for this game

2. J.A. says:

While the concept of fast zombies still fucking terrify me, this game looks increasingly good every time I see a trailer.

3. JoeFreakinRussell says:

Looking goo-oo-ood. Most exciting upcoming game for ’08 I can think of right now.

4. Faust says:

Looks damn brilliant… love the whole tongue noose thing…

However, the guy who’s playing it looks pretty awful.. there were a few times I just got frustrated seeing him shooting at Zombie feet or ignoring the zombies gnawing on his back….

5. darthpugwash says:

COD4 also had the automatic battle chatter. Pretty neat.

6. Servitor says:

I loathe shakeycam in all of its manifestations. Just saying.

7. Monchberter says:

God, that looks terrifying! But i’m sure after an hour it’ll be like going to the shops, or going to the shops will become a horrifying ordeal where you curl up in a ball and SCREAM!

8. Fumarole says:

Multiplayer-game-of-the-year-to-be, no doubt.

9. Crash says:

I can only hope for a single player mode. BTW, did anyone noticed posters in second video? “Give blood” – I love Valve’ sense of humour :D

10. Lambo says:

That looks like it’ll be awesome. I cant wait till then.

Although one thing I haven’t seen is vids of people playing as the infected bosses. I really like Hidden: Source and I think it would be really similar to the hunter boss but I would still like to see it in action.

11. Optimaximal says:

It’s looking better and better, but the lack of weapon variety (is it one type per character?) is a bit worrying and I’ll likely shit myself playing it :(

Good to see they’ve improved the feedback on the shotgun.

12. Mo says:

Minor point: when the zombies have you pinned down, it pulls back into third person view. First, this is probably the first time a 3rd-person cam has been used in a Valve game. :) More importantly though, I kinda wish they left it in first person. I imagine it would be scary as hell watching those zombies rip you apart in first person. I’m guessing it was a bit difficult to animate convincingly though. Still looks awesome though. :)

13. Crash says:

@Optimaximal : I’m pretty sure I saw weapon change in fourth video. Anyway, four weapons (pistol, shotgun, uzi and m-16) is still more than in TF2 ;)

14. Chris R says:

Wooo! This is going to be so much fun with a coordinated group of friends! Can’t wait to play this game with my TF2 buddies. November seems sooo long away.

Oh, and I agree with you Faust… at some points it looked as if the guy thought he was playing a console version. You have a mouse!! Use it properly damnit! ;)

15. cheeba says:

Wow, this just keeps getting better. I really can’t wait now, bah.

16. Optimaximal says:

@Crash: TF2 has approximately 20 weapons… :)

17. Y3k-Bug says:

Amazing footage. With so many developers, news of a game’s delay can be bad as it may be a sign that serious problems abound in getting the game to gel.

With Valve, they simply need more time to further enhance the experience. These vids look much better than many of the ones that came out previously.

18. TychoCelchuuu says:

This just in, L4D confirmed to be coming out any day EXCEPT November 4th.

19. Captain Bland says:

Friendly fire? Seriously? So in addition to the screaming zombies pouring through the walls, the creepy Boss Infected and the terrifying atmosphere i have to worry about accidentally decapitating a friend?

I really hope there is a “Sorry!” voice command. i think i’m going to need it..

20. Al3xand3r says:

Lol, the videos are hilarious for their lack of teamwork… When he’s using that minigun thing (turret?) in the first video he just ignored the fact the zombies have pinned down one of his teammates even though he turns to look at him several times, but just shoots every OTHER zombie that comes in sight… Or at the beginning with that big badass zombie going off to follow a player down the stairs and he just lets it go and goes to the other room instead (and gets pwned). Funny stuff, I hope we’ll see people play better, or we’ll just find our own little fun groups to play with like we did for Alien Swarm.

Game looks like, fun, single player would be alright to try out stuff and learn the maps, though perhaps also pointless since the coop is the point of this and the enemies and objectives will be randomly generated per round. Though locational awareness is probably going to help either way.

21. ryan in exile says:

EA let us shoot, should be fine.

22. Jonathan says:

First video- Zombies cannot get through doors

Second video- Zombie at the star just stands there as you shoot him right and proper.

Video the third- Zombies run straight past you to get team mates way way over there. Also endless bloody pessimistic griping from a woman.

I’m still not sold on the speed. In such tight environments with so many fast enemies I think the phrase is sonic clusterfuck. Anyone who played as a heavy on the night of the ten million pyros will understand how fun this is. There doesn’t seem to be much aiming or ammo conservation going on either. They’re just holding the trigger down and pointing at the huge swarm very slowly killing a guy.

Don’t get me wrong. This is Valve and I trust them enough to believe this game will be fun. But it won’t be the game I was hoping for from the first press releases. Also I really want them to clean up the zombies priority and path finding AI.

23. Rhett says:

Now I wish that someone could have done this with the Aliens franchise… That would be awesome

24. Chris R says:

Don’t forget that the people playing in the videos are just random people at EA3. They don’t support each other because none of them know each other. They’re more interested in seeing the game than helping out some random guy they don’t know.

I’ll bet half the people playing didn’t even know what the game was about and just happened to be near when a station opened up and decided to try the game out.

It’ll be much more coordinated with a group of friends and much, much more fun once you get to play with people you know.

25. Nimic says:

Al3xand3r, I thought that too at first, but looking at it again it looks to me like the gun just can’t be turned all the way around, so he has no choice but to shoot at the zombies dropping from the ceiling.

26. cheeba says:

@rhett: Skirmish mode on the original AvP game wasn’t far off.

27. Senethro says:

Does it annoy anyone else when really bad people play FPSs? They always ruin trailer footage for me. Mind you, I imagine public kiosks have mouse acceleration and sensitivity through the roof.

November can’t come soon enough.

28. Rhett says:

@cheeba– yea, I guess I never got in on a game with a good group. Tended to result in mass slaughter never making it to the bunker. Was still fun to play solo though.

29. Mike says:

They have an uzi or shotgun to start with, as well as a pistol. Later you can get a sniper, m16 or auto shotty, you also get dual pistols

30. runningwthszzors says:

The game looks very difficult. Either that or they weren’t very good. I agree with Rhett about how an Alien franchise L4D would be amazing.

31. Al3xand3r says:

Well it’s probably modable to some extent so you could at least replace the zombies with aliens and make some appropriately dark and sci fi-ish levels to get in the right mood (though it’d be harder to have aliens that clibm walls etc, but that could be saved for the “boss” aliens).

32. Al3xand3r says:

Yikes, accidental public mail… Oh well, I get loads of spam regardless and google’s filter’s fine…

33. Alex says:

Just the crosshairs annoy me in this…

34. Cibbuano says:

Those videos are pretty juicy. I’m too terrified to play, though. Darkness and zombies in games just freak me the hell out.

35. Zed says:

Did anyone else yell at the guy to look left at the start of the first clip. How the hell does anyone who plays FPS’s not learn to check the damned corners, especially when the “corners” are unlit and make up the left half of the building.

Should be lots of fun.
    Jonathan:

Also endless bloody pessimistic griping from a woman.

I think that was because her health was in the red for most of the video. But yeah, it was a bit much.

36. SixStringSamurai says:

who the hell is the player of the last vid? the damn red triangles and shaking hud freaking scream ‘getting attacked from behind, hello, wake up!”

37. Saul says:

Single-player will be possible, as AI will take control of the three remaining characters. There are about five weapons, but I believe you can only carry pistols and one other at a time.

38. windlab says:

I like the way the allies give context-sensitive information to one another, for instance when that idiot didn’t realize all the zombies behind him, the tattooed chap told him.
    And as everyone noticed, girl was communicating a lot due to low health.
    If L4D didn’t have the AI director and team communication, it would seem rather like a post-apocalyptic CS:S.

39. Turin Turambar says:

Slow zombies > fast zombies. That’s all.

40. Ian says:

I hope the single-player is good, even if not as good as full multi-player, because I suspect nobody I know will buy this and I can see me getting bored of being berated by strangers for not treating it like an ACTUAL zombie holocaust and not letting any mistake from a teammate or myself ruin my evening.

What I really wanna see is somebody playing as a zombie, though I guess they’ll leave that ’til later.

41. Don says:

Time to start picking out which of your TF2 friends you’re going to try teaming up with when this comes out.

I may be wrong but isn’t that the Witch making an appearance in the 2nd video? Right at the end there’s an eerie music cue and one of the players says ‘Lights out’. A few seconds later one of the player nearly cashes in her chips courtesy of a really fast (and solo) female infected.

Edit: Yes it is the witch, looking at my download again one of players yells ‘Witch’ as she barrels in.

Jonathan made a comment about infected running right past one player to attack one further away. I don’t think that’s a problem – that’s almost typical mob behaviour in many ways. Given that this mob is of humans who have lost their minds rational thinking is not going to be their top talent. An algorithm where each infected just picked the nearest player and attacked them would lead to really tedious gameplay. And sooner or later you’re going to be the poor bastard that every infected on the map picks as a target while your team mates are ignored. Then you’ll find out who your friends are.

42. James T says:

Slow zombies = target practice.

TF2 taunts (and I forget, do you actually see yourself die in killcam? You’d think I’d remember, considering how often I die in it…) And you could perhaps include situations in Portal, although that’s more ‘third-and-first-person-at-once’.

This is looking a lot shmick-er than it did around trailer time; some dreadful voice-acting (“That definitely sounds like a [Boomer]!”), but hopefully that won’t be too big a deal.

43. phuzz says:

@Captain Bland: I vaguely remember hearing that the friendly fire is moderated somewhat, ie, if your team mate is pinned down, you won’t be penalised for blasting away at the undead and accidentally clipping your mate.

I’m just wondering if I’ll be able to play this game, or if I’ll be too scared of the zombies :(

44. Chaz says:

It looks really good fun, but I can’t help feeling that after a couple of play throughs it will soon loose its sparkle. Mindlessly hosing down endless waves of zombies with machine gun fire will soon get very repetitive, and there just doesn’t seem to be enough variety to give it any long term appeal.

Is this going to be a full price game or something more in the budget range like the HL2 Eps and Portal

45. Jahkaivah says:

Slow Zombies = #1 way to ruin this game

First video- Zombies cannot get through doors

Alot of minor nitpicks there, for every bugged zombie, there are a hundred others working perfectly well who need to be shot dead as soon as possible.

As for the zombie running towards teammates, we have learnt that the zombies focus on the weakest members (low on health / low on ammo / covered in vomit).

46. Don says:

Chaz worried about it being repetitive:

>Mindlessly hosing down endless waves of zombies with machine gun
    I’m not sure this ever gets old, though I prefer the classic pistol+shotgun combo myself. And CS is just 2 teams with similar sets of weapons trying to headshot each other but it seems to have kept its popularity. Maybe because we haven’t seen any opposing force vids people haven’t really registered that this is a two sider, if bored with shooting infected then become one and kick survivor ass. And as the two sides have different weapons and map access it will be a meaningful change.

But if the game does live up to its potential how easy will it be to get a game? Assuming 4 players can take the infected side each server is going to host 8 people, far fewer than most CS/TF2 and similar servers.

47. Al3xand3r says:

People will probably soon up the limits (and unbalance the game unless they also offer bigger maps and more enemies and lag, ha). Either way, Alien Swarm worked out fine with its 8 player max (though all 8 were on the same team) and it didn’t get tediously repetitive even though enemy placement and objectives were not randomised as they are in L4D. The player limit here is sufficient really, you’ll be more likely to find fun servers I think. How many times you think a TF2 or CSS server with good ping has too few players and so look for another one? L4D is probably playable enough with just 2 or 3 or 4 people (all in the human side) so you won’t have that problem (so long as you filter out empty servers).

48. Malagate says:

@Don:
    Yes I also thought that was the Witch in the 2nd video, one of the more enigmatic and apparently unplayable boss zombies. I remember reading about her before, that you weren’t supposed to fight her but to turn off your lights and sneak past or get wrecked. Seems that she can at least wreck one person, but judging by how quickly they took her down she doesn’t seem so tough as I imagined.

Looking good though, I’d like to see more tank.

49. Tak says:

Slow Zombies = target practice….

until you realize there are more of them than bullets.

“You don’t have enough ammunition for that, Captain. To ‘blow the piss out of them’…” (best zombie movie evar, internet cool-points for IDing the quote)

50. Chaz says:

@Don

Yes, CS is just 2 teams with similar sets of weapons trying to headshot each other. But it’s two teams of human opponents. Unlike L4D which is humans vs. an AI who’s only tactic seems to be limited to just charging suicidal headlong at the players to beat the crap out of them.

Yes you can play as the infected but from what I’ve read, it’s just one or two players controlling some boss type characters and only at certain parts in the levels. I’ve yet to see any gameplay footage of some one playing from the infected point of view, and thus far that part of the game strikes me as being more of a bonus feature, rather than something that’s integral to the game.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m looking forward to playing L4D, but I’ve yet to see any evidence that it will still be keeping people entertained after its initial few weeks of release. One for the modders to work on me thinks.