Latest Huxley Cinematic, Ruminations

By Jim Rossignol on June 24th, 2008 at 8:40 am.

Cinematic CGI trailers are all pretty and everything, but for the purposes of blogging they’re something of a waste of time. I want information, and when we’re faced with the cinematic trailer there’s really not much to go on. Give us in-game, or give us death!

Anyway, German site PCGames has the latest Huxley cinematic trailer up, and it’s rather pretty. There’s not a great deal that we can infer from it, other than people will probably have speed and stealth powers as the game goes on. And that it’s The Reds versus The Blues, again.

After the jump: what we know about Huxley so far.

We know that the game is going to be a mix of PvP and PvE. You’re going to be fighting for one of the two big factions – humans, and not-quite-humans – as well as battle AI monsters. (There’s something of that in the cinematic too.) It’s also going to be level-based, with the endgame, clan-level stuff starting at around level 30. I suspect all this is going to disappoint those of you (and me) who were hoping that Huxley might just slot into the role that Planetside has slowly vacated over the past few years. It’s looking rather more like Huxley is part World Of Warcraft, part Gears Of War, and part City Of Heroes. It’s going to have a small number of classes, with your character able to buy weapons and armour, as well as develop skills such as super speed. You’ll even be able to earn your way to owning bits of the faction hub cities, or gaining particular rights and titles.

It’s a Korean game, of course, and I don’t really expect it to throw off Korean tastes or expectations. There’s bound to be some large element of grind, although this might be more interesting if its delivered as a shooty. FPS players don’t tend to complain if they have to gun down a large number of enemies. The game is also set for release in 360, so it’s got to have a degree of accessibility that certain other PC MMOs lack.

What’s most interesting is that although Huxley is “massive” in the sense of the number of players having a go at each other, it seems like the PvP realms are to be broken down into lots of smaller maps, rather like how we play traditional FPS games. These “battlezones” are to be fought over in 20 vs 20 games, allowing the two sides to struggle for dominance over various resources. If this can be set up comprehensibly, and have a genuine impact on the game (I’m looking at you, RF Online) then it could be a motivating and compelling motor for the game as a whole.

Topping it all off, of course, is the fact that the Unreal 3 engine makes it look fantastic. The game is dripping in visual intricacy. Some reports have it that the game even feels like Unreal Tournament in play, making you forget it’s an MMO. If this is the case then it could just be the perfect blend. I’m not getting my hopes up…

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Lh'owon says:

I confess to not having read up on this, but the “battlezones” worry me bit. They need some way to integrate convincingly into the world as a whole or it’s simply going to feel like any other FPS. 20 v 20 is large, sure, but not so big as to distinguish itself completely from DM/TDM shooters.

Then again I’ve never properly played an MMO, so the very idea of “PVP areas” makes no sense to me: It’s a game. I have a gun. There are other players. And you’re telling me I can’t use said gun on said players everywhere?

2. Stromko says:

Yes that’s a very nice trailer. Is that what they’ve been working on for the last, oh, 2, 3 years? I’ve had a lingering feeling lately that Huxley has had some serious developmental issues and might even be dead, even though they had some (limited) in-game videos way back when it was announced.

This video, while it has some intriguing info, is hardly better than seeing new concept images, just a fckton more expensive.

3. Jochen Scheisse says:

PCG also repeats what we already know, from the text there’s no new info. ANd I bet they’ll have a strategic meta map thingie to integrate the zones.

4. Po0py says:

To be honest, I quite excited about this. The one thing that UT3 lacked is the fact that it was pretty much the same deal as the previous iterations; standard tourney fps fragging. It was up to you to go out and find decent clans and matches which is probably why not that many people are still playing it. But if you take UT3 and put it in an MMO setting with decent endgame and you have plenty good reason for people to keep playing. Even COD4 hit gold with their upgrade, leveling system so we know that people like the idea of grinding in an fps setting.

It all still hangs on a lot of different things like weapon balance, map quality and how matches play out and what not. I wouldn’t be surprised if Epic are watching these people and taking notes.

5. H says:

The trailer’s just animated fluff, let’s face it. Let’s see something akin to proper gameplay. Down with this sort of thing, I say.

6. Ging says:

stromko: 3 years, but they’ve had to struggle slightly with the tech as basically none of the korean developers they had on board at the start of the project had used UE before. They brought in freelancers to block out level designs while the korean team got up to speed.

7. Lukasz says:

20v20?

I cried a little. I was expecting huge battles with up to 100 players on each side. 20 players is not that much. Played standard shooters with more people on each side.

Still I am going to buy it just to see it mysell.

8. Surgeon says:

The 20v20 dynamic could work if it is implemented correctly I guess, although I was also hoping for a Planetside replacement.
    Personally, I think it is looking more and more like standard TDM with MMO bits bolted on. Still, I’ll give it a whirl when it’s released.

I think Jumpgate Evolution is currently the best bet for massive online twitch battles, albeit in space.

9. Tikuto [EU] says:

I heard this recently either from a video or article over the [Internet however I can not remember if it was official or not, and whether it was a video feed. I have memory problems.]

———- ABOUT 100 v 100 BATTLES ———-
    They will happen or are already happening in Korea. Other regions of the world, starting with America WILL or MAY not begin with 100 v 100 but will hopefully develop into 100 v 100 battles.