Jumpgate Beta Signups

By Jim Rossignol on June 27th, 2008 at 12:53 pm.

There’s an outside chance that Jumpgate Evolution is going to be really good. Netdevil don’t have the best track record but, well, there’s just something about what we’ve seen so far that intrigues me. Not that free-flight space MMOs haven’t crashed and burned before, or that it’s ever going to supplant the many years I’ve spent in Eve Online but… let’s just say I don’t quite sign on to the idea that every MMO for the next five years is necessarily going to be a waste of time. If any of them grab me, it’s likely to be this one.

Anyway, all of that waffling goes by way of announcing that the beta signups have started. I’ll be in there as Eurogamer’s embedded reporter, so I expect to see some of you in there too. For a little more information check out our recent Jumpgate Evolution developer interview.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Joinn says:

Didn’t know where to put this, but is the RSS feed broken?

2. Jim Rossignol says:

Yes, it is broken. Fixing!

3. Meat Circus says:

Eve Online without all of the things that make me love it plus a tedious WoW-esque treadmill?

WHERE DO I SIGN?

4. Mal says:

I loved Jumpgate me. Not enough to still be playing it mind, but I’m still interested.

5. arqueturus says:

I think I might sign up for this actually.

6. cyrenic says:

I signed up, can’t hurt to try it. Hopefully the random missions are better than Freelancer’s :P.

7. Malibu Stacey says:

Since Black Prophecy is going to be a while I think I’ll sign up for this beta & give it a swatch. It’s up against stiff competition though as I play EVE currently & previously played Earth & Beyond.

8. Riotpoll says:

I’ve signed up, action combat beats clicking a weapon icon, looking at you EVE ;)

9. Peregrine says:

Yea Eve was great I loved the idea of it. But once you realized Hey I’ve done all the Missions, Trading is boring, Exploration…?? and should I join a corporation so I can work AFTER I get home from work?

Its a great idea, great world, great pvp, great everything but its impossible to enjoy it when your clicking on rocks and watching a scanner looking for pirates.

10. Tony says:

You mean there’s twitch combat?

Please tell me there’s twitch combat.

EDIT: Okay, I’m hitting this like the motherloving Fist of the North Star.

11. Jim Rossignol says:

@Peregrine: that’s fixed by giving up mining and becoming one of the pirates. Or indeed the anti-pirates.

@Tony: it seems so.

12. DigitalSignalX says:

“Netdevil don’t have the best track record..” tsk tsk! Not at the grammar, but I think they’ve done better then many steering a ship owned by Codemasters, NCSOFT, and now Lego.

13. Steelfist says:

I’m actually pretty excited about this. I loved Freelancer, (yes the missions were a bit boring) and the thought of it being an MMO is intriguing. I’ve signed up for the beta.

14. Chaz says:

Looks like the kind of game I could really get into, but whats the rec specs for it? My PC is getting a bit long in the tooth now.

15. Senir says:

The design of the ships looks really bland to me for some reason.

I signed up for a reminder email for this like a year ago but it never came. I have no idea why…

16. Surgeon says:

I’ve got high hopes for this.

I was even tempted to go back and play the original Jumpgate. For only £5 a month I thought it was worth a shot.
    It’s proper old school graphics wise, it feels a little bit empty and the mission system is really basic. But there is something really satisfying about the flight engine. It’s hardcore, but very rewarding when you manage to pull off even simple things. Like docking at high speed with a ship fully loaded with Uranium. All the JG veterans rave about it, and I can see why. PvP would have been a blast (still working my way up to that particular challenge).
    Really gutted I missed out on this at its height.

17. Redford says:

A lot of people have been dooming Netdevil and by proxy, JGE. This is false. JG was a great game. It was released at a time, and during it’s peak was a very popular game. The issues is that Netdevil did two things wrong. The first is they waited way too long after JG to even attempt a second game. The second is that game was Auto Assault. Many people have nothing but terrible things to say about this game and for the most part I agree. However, there is one thing I do not agree with. It was never Netdevil’s fault. PlayNC were in charge of gameplay, art and story assets. Netdevil were the ones responsible for the engine. This is why we will never see Auto Assault again. Netdevil has the engine code, but NOTHING ELSE. It’s possible there are bits and pieces of it within the code of JGE or we’ll see something new down the road. For now, rest assured that JG was a great game, and JGE will be too as long as they don’t mess up.

18. Kanakotka says:

Ahh, Netdevil. Your software works so well that even signing up to beta is impossible :D

I’d be glad if it weren’t anything like EvE. People tend to be rather polar about EvE… i think it sucks. I don’t like the concept of having to pay for a game that’s not wise to play before you’ve done nothing but trained skills for about 3 months.

19. Surgeon says:

Kanakotka, you’ve got Codies to blame for any Beta signage problems.
    Ultra flames of death abound on the new forums.
    The Net Devil forums have just been migrated across to Codemasters, including the Beta sign up process, and in certain quarters, it isn’t going down well.
    Still, fun to read though :D

Comment on this story