Will Wright: Cultural Personality In Spore

By Jim Rossignol on June 27th, 2008 at 8:08 am.

The guys over at 1up were lucky enough to get some time to sit down and talk to Will Wright at the EA3 event, and they’ve posted the video over at Game Videos. We, being repurposing blogger-types, have posted it after the jump. There’s not a whole lot of new Spore information, but it’s nonetheless satisfying to hear Wright wax about his game, and admit that the creature creator has been completely redesigned around ten times to get it to the state we find it in today.

, , , , .

1. tom says:

Killer cows! Woop!

2. ape says:

I find myself as being like in addict in withdrawl yet I haven’t even played the game. Hyperboles aside, I really can’t wait.

3. Aubrey says:

Approximated Social Mechanics are an area which I’m convinced will see more and more development, as they seem pretty core to interesting emergent narrative. The Sims already had it to a degree, but it felt incidental. Bioshock had a more static approach (but it worked). Spore obviously has a more dynamic approach which feeds back more immediately into the game. It should nudge things further in that direction. Hopefully. Good good good.

4. Mechtroid says:

So, I wonder how many people will choose a new game using the tag “Pokemon”?

Also, that part at the end made me think of “There is no cow level”.

5. Erlam says:

What Approximated Social Mechanics were in Bioshock? Guy makes paradise underwater – fails? I’m actually curious, not taking shots.

6. Kieron Gillen says:

I believe the Slicer/Big Daddy/Little sister relationship is what’s being referenced.

KG

7. Frans Coehoorn says:

8. RichPowers says:

I still don’t see the Bioshock/Spore relation. But then again, the interview, while great, is short on details relating to cultural personalities.

9. Pod says:

I didn’t like this guys questions. They were very closed and directing.

Are interviews like this “worked out” before hand or something?

edit: Also, why has no one asked Will Wright abuot the planets full of Giant Wangs?

10. Aubrey says:

Regarding the Bioshock/Spore/social mechanics… Will Wright established a relationship with the space cows. His puny little girl civilization was attack by another race, and the cows tried to protect him.

Same thing happens in BioShock when splicers try to attack Little Sisters – Big Daddies step in. I’m not saying they’re the exact same game… just that that sort of story is generated when modelling relationships as game mechanics. The enemy of my friend is my enemy etc.

11. Dreamhacker says:

“And don’t forget the whole religion – capatalism thing. Bioshock is a real deep experience. And I don’t mean underwater.”

Indeed, they are pressing issues in Bioshock. And I dont mean water pressure.

12. Stella says:

“Indeed, they are pressing issues in Bioshock. And I dont mean water pressure.”

I agree. A lot of complex themes bubbling just below the surface. And I don’t mean water bubbles.