Love In The City

By Jim Rossignol on June 29th, 2008 at 9:50 am.

Eskil Steenberg, solo developer of the impressionistic art-MMO, Love – which I talked about in detail here – has been posting some more screenshots of his work over on his blog. I’ve collected them and posted them after the jump. The show new water rendering systems, as well as the city-rendering systems. It’s all deformable, destructible, and absolutely beautiful. (Click on the images for full-size.)

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. rob says:

If there is one MMO I would consider playing it is this one.

2. Vollgassen says:

I’d really like to see this in motion. I wonder if the blurry impressionistic look is more distracting than appealing when actually moving. In the hi res screen it seems like there are a lot of things going on that while moving could be really obnoxious or be static planar sprites that just don’t look good when viewed from multiple angles.

The stills look fantastic though.

3. Fede says:

Looks very nice indeed, I really really hope the gameplay won’t disappoint us.

4. nabeel says:

Astounding. I’d been looking forward to any tiny new bit of info since your preview, so thanks for the heads-up.

nabeel

5. Jesse says:

I just *can’t* wait until this is released. So excited. I’m just going to love it!

Couldn’t help myself.

6. Kadayi says:

The imagery is fantastic, but seems vaguely at odds with the intention of it being a shooter. Like Vollgassen I’d like to see a trailer though.

7. Willem says:

But is it art?

*strokes beard*

8. Cooper says:

I just hope – so much – that this doesn’t fall through.

9. sana says:

No anti-aliasing?

10. K says:

He’s given himself a huge challenge to get this right first time. It’s only new once. But it’s looking fantastic.

I wonder if it deforms in a way that looks like water running down a painting.

11. Corvus says:

Here’s a link for anyone looking for some actual footage. Though it doesn’t show any actual gameplay, and is filmed on a camcorder, I still think it shows that Love looks just as spectacular in motion:

I think the day-night cycle might need slowing down a bit however.

12. Valentin Galea says:

Finally a game where I can be the Nameless One! given that you won’t be able to choose/have a name…

13. TychoCelchuuu says:

Looks like that filter that Grand Theft Auto 4 uses to make everything blurry.

14. Kadayi says:

Cheers for linkage Corvus, it’s nice to know it’s much more than some fancy screenshots ;)

15. nabeel says:

Thanks for the link, Corvus, that looks bloody awesome.

nabeel

16. dbdkmezz says:

Cheers for the link, Corvus. The stills alone look beautiful, but in action, Wow, spectacular!

Better start queuing for spaces in the first 400 player server now :)

17. Noc says:

What those jerks said.

18. Mooey Poo says:

It’s all too brown today

19. Jamie says:

game looks so good

20. Stromko says:

I think the graphics are a good choice, an attempt to be sort of ‘ageless’. High-definition realistic graphics show their age immediately, even if they ever become 100% realistic, they’ll be outshone by games that look better than real. Going for a sort of symbolic vision rather than realism should avoid eyepain down the line. I think the time will come when Gears of War or MGS3 is too ugly to look at, but I for one never get tired ASCII-esque ROGUE-likes or ‘altered reality’ games like Uplink or DEFCON.

I don’t think using symbolic art is necessary for a game to be ‘art’ though. Even the worst game is more unique and less derivative than a summer blockbuster.

21. Fashigady says:

“they’ll be outshone by games that look better than real.”
    Better than real? How is that possible?

22. fluffy bunny says:

“Better than real? How is that possible?”

Heh. Looked at any pictures of pretty women lately? Noticed how their skin always look so perfect and how their teeth are so shining and white? :-)

Comment on this story