Independent Games Festival 2009: Coders – go!

By Kieron Gillen on July 1st, 2008 at 7:50 pm.

And – hark! – there was a great call across the land. And with it, there was a sound like locusts, as a million coders started typing code and similar. The Independent Games Festival have made their call for entrants for the 2009 competition. People who want a crack at the assorted prizes – past winners include everything from World of Goo to Darwinia to Audiosurf to Braid to Aquaria to other splendid pieces of awesomeosity – have from now until November 1st to get their entrants in. People for the Student competition have another couple of weeks, until the 15th, as presumably the IGF people know students are slack. They’ve announced new judges for this year too, including Kyle “World of Goo” Gabler, Rod “Sims” Humble, Soren “Civ4″ Johnson, Chaim “Spore” Gingold, Petri “Crayon Physics” Purho and Jim “Rock Paper Shot…” waitaminute! Jim! You never told me about this.

I’d mock Jim more, but I’m doing it too. Any excuse to play Indie games, us.

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. Chris Evans says:

Wait wait wait…Jim, Kieron and Mr World of Goo all judges :o

That is like so totally awesome :D

2. dartt says:

Speaking of coding, how did your sortie in to the world of programming turn out?

3. Seething says:

Love the image text:

“We secretly despise the IGF and have only entered the judging panel so we can destroy it from the inside, and advocate the least imaginative, interesting and fun games to the top prize. Muhahahahahahahahahaha!”

4. Steven Hutton says:

I’d best get to work then, I’ll be a shoe in for worst in show.

5. ascagnel says:

If it wasn’t for the entry fee, I could round up a friend or two and submit something worthwhile.

Instead I’ll just have to try making half-worthwhile crap on my own and not submit it instead. :P

6. Fazer says:

It’s all great, but I seem to not understand one thing… The World of Goo isn’t even out yet? How could it be awarded as the finalist? What is taking so long to release it?

7. James G says:

Oooh, I hope you use your insider judging gossip to bring us lots of juicy news. That and to occasionally prod Kyle and ask him if World of Goo is ready yet.

8. randomnine says:

Eeee! Eeeeeeeeee! *faints*

Took them long enough to announce the deadline… but it being a month later than last year is Good News, I might actually be ready in time. I’d best get busy :D

9. Tr00jg says:

This year, I’m gonna enter something (into the student thing) no matter its state.

10. Noc says:

Damnit, Seething, you let the cat out of the bag. Now I won’t even bother entering my Goo Physics Tower Defense prototype.

Actually, that idea sounds interesting. Hmm.

11. David McGraw says:

I got a little warm fuzzy feeling thinking about the indie festival…

12. shinygerbil says:

It’s nice to see Phil Fish as the face of the IGF. The world needs more…fezes? Fezzes? Fezzezz? Is that even a word? Well, I get a nice warm fezzy feeling either way.

‘Praps I’ll have a crack at this, one year. :(

13. DragonSix says:

The new award is great, it will permit classic non-abstract games to be recognized for good gameplay too.

14. Chris Evans says:

For all the World of Goo fans, the last word (that I am aware of) from Kyle is that they are aiming for a Summer release with Steam and Steamworks also being thought about. Linky.

15. Oddbob says:

So, about these bribes then…

16. Kieron Gillen says:

Fazer : You don’t have to actually enter a finished game – just a sample of it.

Yeah – I think it’s an odd rule myself too.

KG