Perimeter Expanding: Sequel to Cult-RTS!

By Kieron Gillen on July 3rd, 2008 at 7:17 pm.

Blimey. The games industry is being kind to us right now – just go ahead and announce Thief IV already. Following Colonization and Beyond Good & Evil, a sequel to the terrain-deforming gloriously weirdo-RTS has been announced. In a you-can-write-for-RPS-punning way, It’s called Perimeter II: New Earth (Due to the game’s powers you can make new… oh, geddit?). Bluesnews points us at KD Lab’s press release making the big announcement. And not just a big announcement – a big announcement in charmingly broken English. Loads more info on the site, and a couple of videos beneath the cut.

In fact, the videos kind of destroy the idea it’s just been announced, as they’re from yonks ago. Maybe this is an official announcement – like when you know a couple are having sex with each other for ages before they admit they’re actually going out to everyone else.

From April, here’s the first official trailer:

From – gasp – January is the Video containing some early play:

Impressions? “I am not a crook”. That was Nixon. The game? Good to see the enormous blobby force-fields back in action.

, , .

1. Phil says:

Looks at bit like Starcraft 2 crossed with the ground flattening of Populous, though couldn’t they be slightly more creative with the unit design? It’s all a bit Protossy at the moment.

2. Kieron Gillen says:

Phil: God knows if they’re keeping a similar system, but the first game allowed you to break them into their component molecule as some kind of fluid goo and reform them. Or so Jim tells me, anyway.

KG

3. MisterBritish says:

We need a Vangers sequel. My life is currently devoid of quality Russian freakiness.

4. Ginger Yellow says:

Yeah, there were a small number of basic units, which could be combined in the right proportions to create more powerful, specialised units. If your tactical needs changed, you could change the specialist units back to their constituents and reform them as different specialists. Very cool. I loved the concept, but I found the campaign damn hard. I don’t think I ever gave it enough time to learn the nuances. Maybe I’ll dig it out again this weekend.

5. caesarbear says:

What’s with you Starcraft nuts. It’s like you’ve never played another RTS before. Aside from the cyan and gold color scheme, this looks absolutely nothing like Starcraft.

6. Erlam says:

Woah, that water-race looked really interesting. I like the idea of flooding the land to use it.

Interested in this game: Yes.

7. K says:

I managed to bluff my way through quite a few missions of Perimeter. I found it a really difficult game, mostly due to not knowing what the hell was going on. I probably spent too much time watching my little robot thingies terraform the earth by eating it, or something. By which time I’d be under attack.

8. Riotpoll says:

@K I did the same too, I don’t think I ever got anywhere near to completing it!

Looks like they got rid of the little terraforming robots though :(

9. houseinrlyeh says:

@K and @Riotpoll I found it as difficult as you, probably because, as far as I remember, there really wasn’t much of a tutorial or anything that tried to give you at least some nudges into the right tactical direction. Which is something a standard RTS can get away with, but a game like this that actually tries some new things just can’t.

10. jph wacheski says:

wowsers,. some of that looks incredibly cool! I reall like some of the strangeness,. the weird art-decco meets ancient egypt scarab business is great,. although it all looks a bit busy and perhaps too close together?,. but i hav no idea how it is played from the endless anti-clockwise video,. . I will buy it, if it is cheap enouph, and can be got netwise,.

11. Thomas Lawrence says:

Perimeter is a strange beast indeed. The campaign was rather un-engaging, but there were some interesting mechanics in there.

12. Yargh says:

I’ll add my voice to the ranks of ‘the first one was quite interesting but eventually got bloody hard’

there were lots of very interesting ideas in that game, but its vertical difficulty curve eventually forced me to give up.

13. shinygerbil says:

I really, really loved Perimeter.

So much so that I played it all the way through* many times.

*by ‘all the way through’ I mean ‘as far through as I could get’ which wasn’t really very far.

14. Caiman says:

Perimeter is one of the 7 games stacked on the shelf above my desk (next to the more serious stuff I have there) that I have yet to install. It’s just one of those “never quite got around to playing it” games, which tends to happen with games that aren’t quite capable of grabbing all your attention when they’re released, but which you think are interesting enough that you’ll probably play one day. As I’ve found out, I rarely ever play those games.

15. jph wacheski says:

Caiman -could you send that unused copy to me ?
    I would like to have a go,. .

16. Tunips says:

It’s good to see KD-lab going back to some of their earlier work. They made Vangers, Perimeter and then Maelstrom, and their games became progressively less wierd. Which is a shame, as that was their selling point.
    I found the first perimeter to be more of a puzzle game than an RTS. Each enemy base had a fatal flaw, and you had to keep restarting until you figured it out, and then win inside of five minutes.

There was an expansion, wasn’t there? I can’t for the life of me remember the name.

17. malkav11 says:

Emperor’s Testament.

18. Jim Rossignol says:

I met the guy who created Perimeter when I was in Moscow last month. He looks like the least-likely candidate for the job: a shaven-headed Russian tough-guy, who is somehow responsible for one of the weirdest fictions and the strangest modular RTS play.

19. shinygerbil says:

That somehow makes me like the game even more. Even if it does put me very slightly in mind of Limbo of the Lost for some reason…

20. cullnean says:

“Perimeter broke my brain”

they can stick that one on the box from me for free

21. Jae Armstrong says:

So… does this make me the only person ever to have actually completed Perimeter?

Damn fine game. You always know you’re in for a wild ride when the Russians have the keys to the Sci-Fi car.

22. Jimi Hendrix says:

quite the coincidence, i was just thinking of perimeter yesterday
    a good game and I hope the sequel remains true to the weird backstory and general atmosphere of the game,..but forgoes the hideous starforce copyprotection.

Certainly one of the most unique RTS’s of recent years.

23. Mr. Meh says:

The first one was like stepping back into the old days of gaming (at least, back to the 16 bit days anyway), ‘cos it was a fresh take on things. It looked really modern to boot. The only complaint I ever had was the performance, which still isn’t great even on hardware that wasn’t around at release. Excellent game though, and I’ll certainly πr8 myself a copy again.

24. Wicksey says:

Approved. Am I the only only one who found the plot weirdly compelling and refreshing? No ruggedy beardy buddy, no shoe-horned love interest poured into a bodice – it was like someone had made a real science fiction game.