Hell’s Highway: Tank Footage

By Jim Rossignol on July 5th, 2008 at 8:46 am.

A new trailer has turned up for Brothers In Arms: Hell’s Highway. This time it shows some vehicular action, with our favourite armoured tractors doing death to the Nazis with spectacular effect. You can see that the Unreal 3 engine can render more than just muscular space murderers: Hell’s Highway is looking rather beautiful.

I was lucky enough to get my hands on this game recently, and I can report that it looks to be tactically very similar to the previous games, and hasn’t – as some feared – moved more towards the Call Of Duty way of doing things. Exciting stuff.

, , .

1. Optimaximal says:

I hope the slow-mo zoomed explosions are just marketing to show off the new physics and don’t make it into the final game. They’ve already succumbed to shoulder cams – don’t make it even worse!

2. Dinger says:

Awesome dialog! “The forward observer from 30 corps is moving to our position, so we’ll have tank support”

May I suggest some other lines:

“The 356th is moving their bivouacs forward, so keep your fire lanes open”

or maybe:

“9433 Battalion reports a heavy escarpment recce on our flank, so look alive!”

Okay, fine:

“90210 squad has come across a cache of Mk. III PzKW Goldschlaeger in a vacant house, we are to rendezvous at their position and load up before HQ returns from their retreat at Palme-les-Fontaines.”

3. schurem says:

‘we have to get thru this shitehole’ Do you brits actually use that word? shitehole? sounds very british tho.
    Game looks rad to me.

4. Jonathan says:

Reply to schurem

Yes, we use that word. But nobody in the world speaks like that guy.

5. Boomshakalaka says:

Oh great, Panzer Elite with better graphics. wippee.

What a joke.

Anyway we all know the yanks saved the poms from the germans, not the other way round.

6. Jochen Scheisse says:

And the Nazis have the common sense to point the 88 in the air while a Tommycooker rampages through their position, while in the other scene they conveniently script retreat under the tank chains. No wonder they lost.

7. Larington says:

Ouch, those face animations were terrible, like plastic or playdough or something.

Voice acting was sort of odd as well, though its probably an issue with the script to some extent.

Also the AI troopers should be smart enough to go for cover the moment they see your tank, not run right across the front and literally get mowed over.

Still its early days yet, perhaps these things will become less of an issue by the release date.

8. Optimaximal says:

It’s due for release in August! They’ve been developing it for nearly 3 years now…

9. rb_lestr says:

I’m less than impressed.
    Although the graphics are nice, they look awful in some places.
    The voice acting is terrible.
    Ai looks crap.
    So… I’m not looking forward to it.

10. MeestaNob! says:

I think this game looks like it’s gone backwards in the last year.

Used to look awesome in a crowded WW2 market, but now looks muddy, low res, and dare I say it, dumbed down, in a still very crowded WW2 market. What’s happened?

11. Jim Rossignol says:

It’s not been dumbed down – it’s very, very similar to the previous games. And with a better map.

12. MeestaNob! says:

I just meant by the way there seems to be players charging headlong at defenders… perhaps an over reaction considering its a trailer. (this from trailers 1 & 2 on Steam)

I shall await a full Optimus Prime digit based review before mouthing off further. :D

13. Cigol says:

It was a ‘dumb’ game to begin with and relied on a contrived gimmick to set it apart (that being; ‘flank’ your enemies, because it’s the only option available to you).

14. Kieron Gillen says:

I hate how tetris relies on that contrived gimmick of having 7 pieces.

KG

15. Andrew says:

I did not find that Brothers in Arms got old at all. At least throughout the first game, I never played its semi-sequel.

The only real problem I had with it was the dead squaddies/not-actually-dead-until-we-say-so squaddies thing.

16. Cigol says:

Oh snap!

lol.

I enjoyed BIA for what it was but face it, the whole game revolved around a very simple premise of FLANK or DIE. What could have been a more cerebral shooter ended up as a gimmicky version of it’s forebears (MOH/COD et al).

Here’s this interesting element; lets milk it and force it upon our players. Felt like a missed opportunity to genuinely differentiate from the rest of the WW2 shooters.

17. Charlie says:

Well I loved the original but found the add-on sequel thing to be boring. Never bothered to finish the add on actually. I’m still excited about this but recently its been looking pretty unimpressive. How come the originals seemed to look amazing running on the old UnrealEngine and now they’ve moved to UE3 it looks a bit lame? Probably just me. And I’m probably still going to get it.

18. MetalCircus says:

Keep in mind it’s a trailer used for marketing the game to vacuous drones. Look at the trailers for the original and you’ll find the exact same thing. It’s funny to watch people watch a MARKETING trailer and blast the game for being a dumbe down “sell out” with out ACCTUALLY playing it.

19. nabeel says:

I’m not particularly looking forward to the game or anything, but I love how well Gearbox has utilised UE3 – the game looks fantastic.

nabeel

20. TychoCelchuuu says:

It’s not like you HAD to flank in Brothers in Arms. If you felt like it you could spend all day taking pot shots at a guy hiding behind a brick wall and you’d eventually get lucky and hit him. In reality though if someone is hiding behind a wall your chances of hitting him are nil, which is what the “Find, fix, flank, and finish” thing is all about. Gearbox didn’t make it up or anything. Those are real military tactics, and unless you have some way to shoot through cover or flush the enemy out, the flank is your only option.

As for Hell’s Highway… well, my excitement level started at a 9 or 10 on the Excite-o-meter (c) and dropped to about a 4 when I watched the video, but it’s up to a 7 thanks to Jim and Kieron’s one sentence comments. You mean that much to me, guys. I’m still worried about Germans sailing ragdolledly through the air in slow motion like some kind of Truck Dismount character, and that tank trailer still looks godawful (seriously point the ’88 at the tank you idiots, no wonder you lost the war) but if RPS says it’s not dumbed down…

We’ll see, I guess. I seem to recall them promising a demo.

21. Erlam says:

Wow, that was a pretty awful video. I’m not sure I’d want that representing my game.

What exactly makes this not another WW2 shooter? I’m actually asking this, because that video sure as hell doesn’t tell me.

22. born2expire says:

Why do games have to genre-mash?

The tanks where the worst part of the first 2 games, i wish FPS games would leave out the tank/driving/flying levels.

23. Erlam says:

I have to agree. I’m tired of being the tank driver/gunner/machine gunner/loader/leader. It feels so artificial — especially when I’m killing a few hundred people with absolutely no self-preservation.

24. Lh'owon says:

Huh, I thought people were just being snotty but I must say, that doesn’t look great.
    - Crap facial animation, so why feature that in the trailer?
    - Soldier’s bazooka passes through wall as he turns (again, why in trailer?)
    - Tank mowing down a gun crew from point blank range. Hint: crew would have run by now.
    - Ludicrous scene with tank running over soldiers who run straight into it. This really isn’t excusable in a game that claims to be tactical.
    - Lots of slow-mo explosions that somehow don’t look as great as in the previous trailers.

25. Ed says:

Not impressed myself. Facial animations look terrible, and the rest looks pretty generic. Haven’t played the previous games though.

26. ShineDog says:

You say it looks pretty awful, but the minute I saw the legs spinning away from their owners, I thought it looked pretty awesome.

27. Trousers says:

MAN you guys are hard to impress.

I’d say it looks like it’s well worth a play through at the very least.

28. datter says:

If I see one more nazi I’ll be forced to take drastic measures. WWII needs to be over.

29. Dracko says:

Cigol is blatantly unfamiliar with military tactics.

I wish people would stop complaining about WWII too. That would be a nice change of pace.

30. hungSolo says:

I played the first game over a weekend and quite enjoyed it, but it has to be said that the dialogue has never been a strong point of the series. They aim for Band of Brothers (which itself relied pretty heavily on movie archetypes despite being based on the lives of real people) but come up with something much less compelling.

Still, if they get the shooty bits right, it’ll be better than a lot of the chaff out there. Myself, I’d like to see Valve turn their attention to squad-based tactics in a single-player game. The squad members in the HL2 games aren’t much more than bullet sponges. (EDIT: Wait a minute — there’s a single-player aspect to Left 4 Dead, no? Duh. Still not quite the same kettle of fish, though.)

31. Necros says:

Optimaximal, it’s in the final game but you can turn it off if you don’t want it, same with many other things.
    Also the facial animations look a lot better in the latest, “Baptism of Fire” video.