New Introversion Game?

By Jim Rossignol on July 8th, 2008 at 3:46 pm.

A chronometer, yesterday.
Work, or at least mysterious “pre-production” has begun on the sixth Introversion game, “Chronometer.” Google tells me that chronometer means “clock’, so perhaps some kind of clever time-travel game? Chris Delay isn’t giving much away, but I’m going to post that image of a big gold pocketwatch anyway.

The news emerged via Introversion’s own blog, with Delay explaining how the game idea had come up during Defcon development, but been clearly too much for the small company. As it happened, however, Channel 4 were offering some development money, and the Chronometer idea hit the spot. Delay explained:

So around three months ago, despite being busier than we’ve ever been, Introversion Software began work on its sixth game. Channel 4 funded an exploratory pre-production phase of three months work, which we have now almost completed. We spent a long time looking for a fulltime writer, and worked through nearly 50 applicants until we hit on the right guy for the job – a writer named Chris Hastings.

Mr Hastings site appears to be some kind of casting agency, suggesting that the Introversion team are going to need actors for this gig? Whatever it might be, we’ll be bugging the Chrises for more information rather soon…

(Thanks to Phuzz & FreelancePolice for the tip-off).

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Freelancepolice says:

Odd that channel 4 are funding game development even if it is preproduction. More introversion is never a bad thing though, I’d love to see what they could do with a massive budget :D

2. Mike says:

The ‘gobsmacked in KFC’ bit is a tad weird.

3. Not-a-Bot says:

More Introversion games can only be good news. I do hope they don’t overstretch themselves though, they have 3 games going on at the same time right now don’t they?

4. cliffski says:

Channel 4 are really into games, I even had a meeting with them about doing stuff, although nothing directly happened as a result.

5. terry says:

Whatever happened to Subversion? The last thing I remember was a very beautiful abstract Simcity-esque screenie and some very vague gameplay hints. Is it dead in the water?

6. Freelancepolice says:

well they refer to chronometer as the 6th game and with subversion that still adds up so I’d imagine it’s not dead in the water. They’ve been adding to staff slowly and I imagine they’re mostly all at work on multiwinia at the moment.

@not a bot: I don’t think they’d be stretching themselves with the funding anyway

7. MasterBoo says:

Funny, I was checking their blog today for updates on Subversion and encountered that “announcement”, and there you are posting it 1 hour later :]

8. Not-a-Bot says:

@freelance police: I meant more in terms of people working on the games rather than money. IV still only has a small number of employees, though they’ve been growing a bit recently (presumably due to this)

I’m pretty sure Subversion is still alive too.

9. Tr00jg says:

Let’s hope subversion is still alive. But this Chronometer has me intrigued.

10. Biggles says:

Channel 4 funding indie games? That can only be a good thing, especially if they’re going out and funding pre production/experimentation phases. From my understanding that sort of thing is quite typical in tv, but games devs are usually expected to self fund their demos (which is a stupid publishing business model, frankly and needs to grow up!) so any change there is definitely most welcome!

11. Ginger Yellow says:

It’s interesting that C4 have pulled out of film production but are apparently expanding into games.

12. BillyBob says:

The site for Chris Hastings seems to be a feature film production company which makes sense of the Channel 4 link. Are we seeing Introversion diversifying down the MGS route?!?!

13. Ed says:

This is similar to the UK government’s/Ofcom’s PPI (?) scheme that was intended to help fund game development, out of the TV license fee. It was scrapped a few months back I think as nobody could quite see how it would work.

14. caramelcarrot says:

Betting on Time Team game.

15. phuzz says:

Are Channel 4 going to be filming anything as well? I can imagine a C4 program about life inside Introversion would be interesting to more than just the gamer community.

16. Rook says:

Chris Hastings wrote the scripts for a couple of short films, one of which apparently won some sort of award. So I don’t think there’s anything special going on there except that he’s a guy that can write scripts.

17. WillyCoyote says:

Google says Chris Hastings has two optioned feature films and a third, Reflex Action filming in the US next year. That sounds like an action movie – which suggests this could be a FPS? An FPS crossed with Time Team. Great, we get the chance to shoot the hell out of Tony Robinson!

18. Seb Potter says:

Worth remembering that as a TV commission “developing” means “working on ideas for” and not producing anything tangible.

Fear not though, one of the people behind this at C4 is the fantastic Alice Taylor, and she provides more information about what they’re up to on her blog http://www.wonderlandblog.com/wonderland/2008/07/introversion-ch.html

19. KindredPhantom says: