A Quake III Thing

By Jim Rossignol on July 9th, 2008 at 6:42 pm.

This isn’t really news, or really even worth me posting, but I share it nonetheless. On a whim I just booted up Quake III and jumped on a public server. I used to play every night, for hours, but I’d not looked at it in a long, long time. As it happened there was a 3v3 CTF match going, so I joined in. Within moments someone I’d played with regularly, over four years ago, joined the server too.

I was astounded that I recognised his handle after all this time. Even more so that he also recognised me. After a few minutes of silent play a conversation started up. It went something like this:

bloke: Do I know you?
me: Possibly, I ran [this clan].
bloke: It is you! Do you remember my clan? [still had his tag]
me: Yes, vaguely. I’ve not played Quake on a public server in over four years.
bloke: I haven’t played for three, no *four* years.
me: Blimey, how weird.
bloke: Is Quake III still going?
me: I have no idea.

I guess it’s time to find out.

__________________

« | »

1. Tanner says:

God, I love it when stuff like this happens. I really should go buy Quake III again. Good times, good times.

2. Saskwach says:

What a stunning coinkydink.

3. Davik says:

In other strange coincidences, I (and several friends) met a guy online, back when we used to play CS:S an awful lot. We met this guy on a random server, by chance, and he seemed like a nice fella, so he joined our group and we played online together for quite some time. About a year and a half later, I was on my way to America for a family holiday, and met a girl in the airport. A brief exchange of email addresses and a couple of weeks later, and we were going out. I was mentioning the group of friends I had at the time, and we played online, and briefly mentioned this guy’s name, to which she suddenly looked quite shocked. Turned out that she went to school with the very same guy, and had been friends for years.

Just thought I’d share that with you, RPS.

4. Turin Turambar says:

Let’s wait a bit. I think id will oficially open the beta of Quake Live in an announcement in E3.

5. Chris Evans says:

Had a similar experiance a few weeks ago playing Team Fortress 2. Jumped onto a server without checking the server name and saw someone with clan tags I recognised. Turned out that he was someone I knew back from my BF2 days!

6. Noc says:

I know who all of you are. I’ve headshotted each and every one of you at least a dozen times, in more than one game. I have a file with all of your names, and every single handle you’ve ever used.

But I am invisible, and you will never find me.

In all seriousness, though, that’s pretty cool. Especially since you both got the itch and decided to hop back in at the same time, since it occurs to me that it would be a mite depressing if the conversation had revealed that the other fellow had been playing Q3 continuously for the last four years, sinking into that degenerative obsession of mastering every nuance of a years-old game, fighting desperately for a spot on the leaderboards of a forum still limping on in a musty corner of the Tubes.

Nothing tempers nostalgia for the days gone by more than realizing that some people have never left, and have clung to a brief period of enjoyment to the detriment of all else, refusing to move on.

7. Charming Mr Chomper says:

PEOPLE BUMP INTO PEOPLE ONLINE SHOCKER.

This is by far the least interesting thing I’ve ever seen on RPS. And there’s some pretty dull stuff on here.

8. majorbromly says:

Charming Mr Chomper is a nice man that will definatly win the nobel peace prize.

9. Paul S says:

Crumbs Charming Mr Chomper – I think that was the wittiest thing I’ve ever seen on RPS! Chortle.

10. John P (Katsumoto) says:

Totally bromly. I love him, and want to have his babies.

In other news, awesome. Maybe the whole thing will explode again when Quake Live launches and we can all pretend its 1999 again.

11. Charming Mr Chomper says:

Really? I wasn’t in any way at all attempting to be witty or even funny. I was merely expressing my displeasure towards this particular blog post.

12. fanciestofpants says:

Hey. I used to use the doomguy model too. Cranked a nifty black-and yellow skin for it.. called.. I wanna say KickDoom? I dunno. Good times.

13. Lukasz says:

at least the ‘cutest’ thing here.

14. Jim Rossignol says:

I actually used the Ranger model, dunno why I have a grab of Doomguy. He was my least favourite.

Mr Chomper: go read somewhere else then, cheers.

15. Charming Mr Chomper says:

No. I like the site generally, it’s just a little boring sometimes. Most of the time I keep my trap shut and wait for something good to come along, but this particular post inspired whinging.

16. Noc says:

Cockchomper: Well, there are two ways to take comments like that: you can either assume that they’re a bit of deadpan, dry humor, or you can assume that they’re [An opinion from someone who disagrees with me.*]. It’s generally good manners to assume the first, because it forestalls nasty unnecessary arguments that make everyone look bad.

*I think self-editing should become more common. Not only does it save people time, but it lets the mind linger on the implied insult, wondering how far the original displeasure actually went. Self-censorship as a literary device: we need more of it.

17. Inglorion says:

There was this thing called ESWC that happened a few days ago.

18. Watcher95 says:

It’s a world of laughter
    A world of tears
    It’s a world of hopes
    And a world of fears
    There’s so much that we share
    That it’s time we’re aware
    It’s a small world after all

There is just one moon
    And one golden sun
    And a smile means
    Friendship to ev’ryone
    Though the mountains divide
    And the oceans are wide
    It’s a small world after all

It’s a small world after all
    It’s a small world after all
    It’s a small world after all
    It’s a small, small world

19. Charming Mr Chomper says:

I was under the impression that this site encouraged debate, even if it disagrees with the people who run the place. It doesn’t tolerate insults, but I haven’t insulted anyone so I don’t see what the problem is.

20. Masterdog says:

I met someone I knew from college on a Trackmania server. God knows how I recognised his name.
    Also met someone I knew from QWTF on a campsite in Benidorm. Nah, not really. It was AQ2.

21. Will Tomas says:

Unnecessary whinging that wastes the time of the rest of us when we end up reading it to see if we can find any comments of genuine interest. Let’s just let it lie.

That’s a pretty cool coincidence, though. It’s also an interesting point about the acquaintances you get playing online. It’s never quite a friendship, but there is a sense of comradeship there. Interesting stuff.

22. Noc says:

Well, here’s the thing about debating: you’ve got (at least) two different proposals which people argue the merits, demerits, and relative superiority of. For instance, is ocean temperature change adversely affecting the word’s fish population? Yes? No? If yes, what should we do about it? Is this a big enough issue that we should divert resources from solving other problems?

That’s a debate. On the other hand, if people are sitting around talking about ocean temperature and marine habitats and you say “This is boring. Who cares about fish? They’re boring,” you aren’t exactly participating in the debate. You’re working to the detriment of the debate, whether fish habitats are interesting and relevant to you or not.

23. Charming Mr Chomper says:

“This isn’t really news, or really even worth me posting”. Going by your logic, Will, this wasted my time, I felt it necessary to complain about it.

24. phuzz says:

I wouldn’t mind bumping into any of the guys who used to play CS on frog’s server at ex.ac.uk
    The server was up on the university LAN 24/7, and there was always at least a couple of people on there. Best time was lat on a friday night, as half the server had just got back from the pub and the other half had been playing all night.

[BoB]Animal, are you there?

25. Charming Mr Chomper says:

Noc, you’re absolutely right in your analogy. HOWEVER, it doesn’t apply to this, because I started the debate by complaining about the quality of the post. There was no debate before that, I started it. Nice try.

26. Noc says:

Also, Jim’s point above: if something’s boring, you can always not read it. No one’s forcing you to. There’s a reason, after all, that I’m not going to go out and spend my afternoon reading tremendously dry reports about fish habitats.

27. Mo says:

I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again: Quake 3 Arena is the single greatest multiplayer FPS game ever created.

28. Jim Rossignol says:

So you complained about something I already disclaimed as probably not that interesting to most people?

29. Noc says:

Also: no, there was no debate going on. There was, however, a discussion about this sort of phenomena which you derailed through trollery. The point of my argument is this: you aren’t participating in the discussion if your argument is that we should be talking about something else.

30. Charming Mr Chomper says:

BUT, I enjoy this site, and I felt it necessary to complain about this uninteresting post. By doing so, I hope the people who run the site only post interesting things in future. It’s called critical feedback, probably. Of course, it’s up to them, but shy kids don’t get any sweets.

31. Charming Mr Chomper says:

I can’t believe you’re being so defensive. I’m (admittedly in what could be construed as an offensive way I suppose) trying to offer my opinion on how you can improve your site. Post less of this sort of thing, disclaimer or not.

32. Jim Rossignol says:

It’s fine to complain about being bored, but change your name, eh?

33. Charming Mr Chomper says:

Also, my apologies. I didn’t notice you were manually editing my username after every post I made. I thought you would edit it once and that would be it, so I’ve changed my username myself this time.

edit: ^^

34. Spiny says:

I still have Q3 installed. Time for a round or two…

35. Al3xand3r says:

Well you say it has a lot of boring stuff and yet you still read it so why should they stop? It’s apparently more interesting to other people anyway as, even though the discussion was derailed, people still comment on the original topic.

Why would they change it because YOU find it boring even though you apparently tolerate it because you like the rest of the site’s offerings?

Judging all the available information, it’s not to their best interest to stop posting all this type of content since it doesn’t affect people negatively enough to leave and it does affect other people positively enough to discuss.

So, you have no argument really… But nobody stops you from hoping things I guess… Not to mention there was a boring post disclaimer so you could have stopped at that…

36. nabeel says:

That’s so cute. Man, I miss Quake III. Maybe I’ll reinstall …

nabeel

37. Noc says:

And, in a similar vein, I prefer the comment threads in which I participate to have a lower by-post volume of trollery. Since I like to participate in such threads, and to do so properly I HAVE to read all of the comments. Thus, if the thread is populated to a significant extent by useless whining, it significantly affects my enjoyment.

On the other hand, you can very, very easily skip over articles that don’t interest you. I do it all the time! Hell, YOU do it all the time, too, or else you wouldn’t be able to navigate through the internet without being impeded by all those words that insist on showing up.

Consequentially, I’m not being defensive. I AM trying to tell you to STFU in the most polite and reasonable way I can.

38. Erlam says:

I have so many memories of “Wait.. it’s you” on various Half-Life/Quake mods over the years.

Some of my fondest game-related memories are playing Rune Quake with a guy named svfox. I’ve searched the internet high and low for this guy since then, and never found him. I think we probably exchanged a half-dozen comments over 6 months, but I’d always be in a game with him on MLagg- err, Mplayer, and we’d always be on the same team, holding the flag point.

God I miss that. Oh internet, you tease me so.

39. changeling says:

A few weeks ago I was playing TF2, and jumped onto a random server, just for fun. Enjoyed, it so I kept playing for a while. My brother came in, checked the scoreboard, and recognized one of the Tags. Turns out i’d run into his best friend, who lives up our road. Small online world.

40. grumpy says:

I’m sorry to burst your bubble, but whining about something no one cares about is *not* the same as starting a debate.
    A debate is where multiple people discuss something that is generally worth discussing.

It is not when person A says “this sucks and you’re stupid for posting it”, and person B says “So what? No one’s forcing you to read it”.

41. Jim Rossignol says:

No one piping for up for UT? :(

42. Lightbulb says:

Small world eh?

But why would you not remember a name from as recently as 4 years ago? I remember people from 10 years ago (ie first school).

Bit random though. :)

43. lolz says:

Worth posting TBH, i love when coincidences like this happen.

44. RichPowers says:

I still play on a 24/7 TFC Dustbowl server about once a week and see people I played with back in the day. Someone even mentioned that he’s played a game with me during the 2000, 2004, and 2008 presidential elections — only noteworthy because I have “for Pres” in my handle.

That active servers still exist for every noteworthy FPS from the past decade is one of the great triumphs of PC gaming.

45. Charming Mr Chomper says:

“this sucks and you’re stupid for posting it”

I didn’t say that, though, did I? I’m happy to drop the discussion because it’s going nowhere, but making stuff up to prove your point gets nothing but a tut from me.

46. grayheaven says:

We play q3 ctf every time we set up a LAN. q3ctf3, 3 vs 3. The only way to fly.

It’s a very good game, the last good one id did. Judging from Hollenhead’s recent publicity blitz, also the last.

47. ascagnel says:

Dumb question, but now that I’m on a Mac, can I squeeze a Q3 install out of my Windows disk?

More on topic, I also found myself playing Q3 last night as well, although I limited myself to botmatches since my Windows box was having issues keeping up its net link under TF2′s strain. And now I want to play Q3 again when I get home tonight (it’s only 4:30pm here, even though my post time is 9:30pm).

48. The Hammer says:

I once met someone who I used to be friends with on the Red Versus Blue site at a LAN centre.

49. sbs says:

I started playing Q3 again in 06, after a pause from games altogether which lasted about 2 or 3 years.
    There I was on a public server, jumping around on the empty map, playing around with some cvars when a guy I used to duel with a lot joined. He immediately recognized my nick and asked how I was doing, and after some help I remembered who he was, too, so we just stood there on q3dm6 chatting for 15 minutes catching up, exchanging IRC channels. Quite a nice moment there.

50. ConstantineXVI says:

@ascagnel
    Go download ioquake3 from http://ioquake3.org and pull the pak0.pk3 file off your Windows Q3A CD. Add in your CD-Key, and you are ready to go!

PS: If you’ve got a Windows, Linux, or Solaris box, ioquake3 supports them too.

Comment on this story