Velvet Assassin Trailer

By Jim Rossignol on July 9th, 2008 at 8:20 am.

Here’s a rather unremarkable trailer for Gamecock’s World War II Hitwoman game, Velvet Assassin. The premise of the female resistance fighter is okay, I suppose, but the trailer doesn’t show anything interesting, despite its wacky fades. Not holding out a great deal of hope for this one, especially since both WWII and assassin themes seem so tired and old. Mutter your own sceptical ramblings after the jump.

, , .

1. Ian says:

I like stealth games so I’ll probably check it out unless it utterly bombs, but truth be told there’s not much there getting me especially excited.

2. Ben Abraham says:

But a velvet assassin… wasn’t velvet part of a particular euphemism for Victorian era lesbianism?

3. LOL SEINFELD JOKE says:

George Costanza will pick this up on day 1.

4. Ian says:

Ben – are you thinking of ‘tipping the velvet’?

5. Ben Abraham says:

Yeah, I think I read somewhere that that was an expression used in those times, and that it was where the novel got its name.

6. Duoae says:

You know what? This game looks totally uninteresting to me. I don’t know what it is but i think i was under the impression that this was not going to be the average ‘sexy lady deadly assassin’ type of game.

7. Al3xand3r says:

Eh, it’s not like we have many stealth based games to chose from. If this offers good AI, gameplay and level design it could be considered as good as the only other series we have on PC, the sub par Splinter Cell, even if it lacks in visual (and other types of) polish.

Can’t really judge any of the things I mention from this trailer though…

8. Alex says:

Chaos Theory was subpar my ass.

This looks alright, I guess. I certainly won’t be rushing out to buy it on launch day, though.

9. James T says:

I love a good stealther, but part of it is flexibility of approach — if this takes after Splinter Cell (or, indeed, improves upon it — chuck in some Hitman!) then hurrah for this (and yes, Chaos Theory represent); if it’s going to be a completely linear map, there’ll be nothing to come back for.

(and personally, I hate long enforced combat scenarios in stealth games — particularly if you’re in a warzone and you’re still being graded on detection, hello CT Seoul stages — so I hope it’s not going to try going all ‘Rainbow Six’ at the drop of a hat; they probably just included the close-up rifle stuff and machinegun noises to pique the interest of more, ahem, ‘immediate’ gamers, but I find trading shots with throngs of fully-aware hostiles in a stealth title feels like cheating once I’ve survived and can stroll through their posted areas with impunity…)

The lady seems a bit of a same-old, incongruously stripperific Emma Peel type, which doesn’t say much for the devs’ creativity, but hey, ya never know.

10. Kareem says:

What do you guys have against hot chick assassins?

At any rate, it looks like Hitman with better graphics. I’m tentatively optimistic.

11. Dante says:

Isn’t this the one with the hidden real worl gold you find via clues in the game?

That’s interestingly different at least.

12. hero imprisoned says:

in this trailer: crouching!

13. phuzz says:

@James T
    ahh come on now, Mrs Peel is the definition of the thinking man’s crumpet, if only I was 40 year younger :(

14. Trooper6 says:

Only love for Mrs. Peel!

I’m tentatively optimistic. It was inspired by Violette Szabo, one of my favorite real life WW2 heroines. She is not naked and ridiculous like the women in most games I know…i.e. she’s at least wearing a shirt. And she seems to be using the Fairbair Close Combat System…which is in period. So it might be great…I’ll probably check it out.

15. DSX says:

IGN has some screens which do this title a lot more justice then that trailer. They look pretty good, certainly raising my interest some. The wiki article on Violette Szabo is neat, thanks for the tip Trooper6.

16. Micro Man says:

It seems pretty cool to me, I am quite happy to add this to my possibility pile.
    I love the story of Violette Szabo also, lets hope this game doesnt share her fate!