Uh-oh: “Take This, You Nazi!”

By Jim Rossignol on July 11th, 2008 at 7:18 pm.

What. Okay, I think that this Clear Sky preview (new footage intermixed with the 1UP team waffling about what they’ve seen) shows that the incidental voice acting for Clear Sky is in atmosphere-shattering English, rather than Russian. There’s also some deeply shit music. GSC, noooo!

The new inventory looks good though.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Marcin says:

Best part of that was Matt Chadronait’s (sp) hair. Whoosh!

2. BaconIsGood4You says:

Wow this game looks beautiful. So atmospheric!

3. BJ Blazkowicz says:

Nice music.

Bleh.

4. SwiftRanger says:

“You all are making way too much of this.”

², and 1Up needs to stop showing their editors in real-life, show us the games, not yourself.

5. Mark-P says:

That action music certainly is a shocking stylistic failure. :/
    It’s nice to see them called out on it. Here’s hoping that it gets the axe some time in the next month before release.

Otherwise, still massively excited here. :D

6. Kadayi says:

Looks neat. Personally I like 1ups approach, sure they could just show the footage, or have one talking head recount their take on things but they describe/discuss the experience/feel of playing the game as a player and that’s always a good thing.

7. Valentin Galea says:

Poor little ruskies – can’t make a decent gun fire and recoil animation even if their life depended on it :D

8. MetalCircus says:

Well if Clear Sky is as moddable as the original then you don’t need to worry about these issues – i’m sure there are hundreds of people out there with the same worries who’ll be clever enough to mod in the russian/ukranian banter and take the wank music out instead of wingeing.

Oh, and guess what? I like 1-up. About 99% of you will not like that will you?
    :edit: Kadayi put it better than me and pretty much summed up why I like 1up.

9. Steve says:

Don’t you know you could just watch the same gameplay video those muppets did instead of second guessing their opinions?
    It’s available here: http://www.gamevideos.com/video/id/19902

Separate download available but its about 450mb so… in case you didnt feel like showing up a summary of changes that i can see are:

Mission and direct friendly NPC speech is in English and very comprehensive from the looks of things..

Ambient speech is in Russian. (Horray)

NPC’s loot bodies too and it looks like they also sell armor.

Inventory is improved.

You need a detector to find artifacts which are invisible untill you are on top of them.

Anomalys are invisible.

The map actually appears to work. (wow)

Combat music… Oh my, the horror is real. ear bleach is needed.

Blow-outs are in the game but may be scripted.

The guy playing it is rubbish.

Personally my spidy senses say the music will last all of a second before being removed and there is already a petition on GSC’s forums to that effect.
    Also I’d guess that some of the better modders like Bac9 will be rather quickly making blowouts a real time ‘oh my god, run away!!’ type thing within a few days of release.

So… All good then.

10. Cooper says:

Within a couple of days of release someone will have uploaded the Russian voice files to download and replace the English ones.

Also, chances are, someone’ll have the original game’s music available to replace the new crap.

Here’s hoping the modding possibilities for Clear Sky outstrip the original. I hated the bright nightimes of the original, a well as the loss of some features such as sleeping – hopefully they’ll be easily added to clear sky.

11. No Problem says:

Thanks for the link Steve.

Watching the video myself, I have to say the english voice acting isn’t half bad.

12. Tom says:

oh christ it looks awesome!

13. Berntsen says:

The music…

I think I just died a little on the inside.

Glad to hear there is a petition on GSC’s forums to get it removed, though. The original game was perfect with its atmospheric soundtrack.

14. Leeks! says:

While the music was bad, I think I’d want to do one or two fights with it on, so I could feel like I was an extra in a Timur Bekmambetov remake of a Tarkovsky film, which is basically what purgatory looks like for me.

Also, “wood shouldn’t look like it’s been shit on by the Vaseline demon” are words of profound wisdom. Thank you, Shawn Elliot.

15. Anon says:

TAKE THIS YOU NAZI

16. Bobsy says:

I speeeeell my dreenk.

17. x25killa says:

I shall be looking forward to this game, no matter what if it’s english or russian talking (perfer russian due to isolation in the area)

18. cyberdaemon says:

Half of the things these guys tell you arent even in the game :( You can see all the enemies on your PDA map and monsters/enemies only spawn and move to or between few fixed locations.Almost nothing unpredictable in there.They also closed down too many areas , rooftops and places that i could explore in original game.And mostly when you finish main quests in maps (often you are rushed trough them) there is nothing left to do in these maps.This game is linear game disguised to look like sandbox game.

19. Erlam says:

Really? I’m constantly going back and forth. I think what people are seeing/feeling is that they (in the first game) only had a main questline, and everything else was up to the player. Now you’re given more quests to do that aren’t related to the main quest, and it feels ‘less sandbox.’ What was in the first one that isn’t in this one?

There are many problems with this game (as with the first one), but I’d say I like them equally. I love helping expand whatever my group is, I like modding my stuff, I like listening to (particularly in Freedoms base) guys talk about the zone, their experiences, etc.

This game is as linear as you want. I’ve been playing for 11 in game days and I just hit Red Forest.

Comment on this story