Empire Total War: It’s Got Boats In It

By John Walker on July 12th, 2008 at 3:05 am.

Quite literally some boats.

I quite passionately believe that the game should be named as above. I’m assuming CA have read that and are redesigning the packaging accordingly. Point being, there’s a cinematic trailer for it (read: no in-game footage), suggesting quite strongly that you’ll be able to end ship battles by a planet-sized giant crushing them all with a map.

, .

1. Will Tomas says:

I’m looking forward to this much more than any other PC exclusive game coming out this year. Should be immense.

2. James T says:

Au contraire — quite literally, it is an image depicting some boats!

3. PleasingFungus says:

James T: But most certainly not a pipe.

(The trailer was… cinematic. Looking forward to the game – Medieval II was not as good as it could have been but I still think that this could be cool.)

4. DSX says:

Totally nice CGI trailer. Rome and Medieval II were pretty good games, I’m betting this will satisfy that big battle-pushing-units around itch nicely.

5. RichPowers says:

Phew, and I thought experiencing the adventures of John Paul Jones would forever involve me wearing a tricorne hat while sitting in a cardboard box with “Bon Homme Richard” scrawled on the side, screaming “I have not yet begun to fight!” as I fire a broadside on the neighbor’s cat.

Between this and Red Alert 3, naval combat is making quite the comeback in the RTS realm.

6. Son of Slam says:

Every single one of these games, I think “This looks great! I can’t wait to play it” and then later on, playing it, I find myself thinking. “Hmmm, with all this, why am I not having any _fun_?” and quit.

I watch this trailer and think “This looks great! I can’t wait to play it!”

please, Please, PLEASE let my hopes trump experience, just this once!

7. Al3xand3r says:

If you didn’t like the previous Total War games then chances are this won’t do much for you either… It is a sequel after all, you can expect the same type of gameplay with the different setting affecting the available units and such as always.

8. Taximan says:

First scene is probably not at all inspired by a certain excellent Peter Weir film. Also the shot of the old aristocrat standing on the balcony above Jacobin masses with torches is very reminiscent a similar shot in Brotherhood of the Wolf, (yes, the film where the camera flies over Monica Bellucci’s naked torso and her breasts fade into snow-covered mountains, though not that shot in particular.)

Still, nice. But why is a first-rate ship of the line sailing alone, (against another lone first-rater), and why is she doing so with all her gunports open in such inclement weather, unless, err… already, definitely in pursuit.

Really looking forward to this, too bad they didn’t include the 30 year’s war era though. Would have loved to take some Spanish tercios across the Netherlands against William of Orange. But that’s just me, having recently read all of the translated Arturo Perez-Reverte’s Captain Alatrist√© novels back to back.

9. Mister Yuck says:

I am looking forward to naval combat, however, I always find historical RTS games weird as hell. Empires seems to be going for the ultra-accurate re-creation of historical conflicts, but somehow ignores the fact that none of the commanders of historical armies were observing the battlefield from invisible blimps and issuing their orders by instantaneous psychic messages.

10. Lord_Mordja says:

Unrelated heads up, there are some videos for Dragon Age, Fallout 3 and Dawn of War II up on gametrailers.

All less than a minute long.

Er nice vid, etc., etc.

11. Serious J says:

@ Mister Yuck

That’s why TW games have a “General” camera option that restricts your view to that of your General.

12. Ragnar says:

This reminds me that I still want a game based on the Hornblower novels. That would be awesome. But this looks to be rather nice too.

13. Tunips says:

I wasn’t so fond of the Total War series – LArgely due to my uncanny ability to lose battles even with the greatest of advantages.
    However, I was rather fond of Imperial Glory, and I’m madly in love with Cossacks 2.
    Having brightly coloured men line up and shoot each other can make up for a great many gameplay sins.

14. Mark-P says:

Lovely CGI! I’m guessing that’ll be the intro.
    I hope they focus on getting some good AI and challenging difficulty on the higher levels, because for all it’s beauty I felt really let down by Medievel 2 in that repsect.

15. K says:

The AI in the Total War games seemed to get progressively worse as the graphics got better. I shall await patches before purchasing this time.

16. rob says:

The CGI in Medieval II had this almost Thief-like quality to it but this has lost a lot of that style by trying to look more realistic. Honestly from what we’ve seen so far Operation Flashpoint 2 and Empire Total War are the same game just set a few years apart.

17. Lucky says:

It’s not often that a cinematic trailer gets me this psyched.

18. Chris Evans says:

While it is the combat that draws some people into the Total War games, for me they are all about the world map >:D

19. Hermes says:

I just fired up Shogun, so I am looking forward to this. A shame my Macbook Pro will most likely be unable to handle this in boot camp.

20. Shznit says:

@ Hermes
    Install Windows?

I can’t wait for this game, Rome:TW might be the greatest strategy game of all time and I can’t even count the number of hours I spent playing it. And I almost exclusively play FPS, action, and RPG.

21. Binho says:

I’m looking forward to this with mixed feelings. I love the Total War series, but with the switch to 3D I find they have been going more for the “WOW, COOL” factor than good old ‘realism’.

I’m hoping they actually add wind into the naval combat, and that they make it so sailing in a line of battle, and getting the wind gauge, etc. are good tactics. If they go Hollywood style and just make battles a bunch of ships mashing into each other like Pirates of the Carribean 3, this will be the first Total War game I won’t buy.

22. internisus says:

Wow–a CG trailer that I really like!

23. Serious J says:

@ Binho

TW has been 3D since Rome TW.

They have already stated that wind will play a large part in the naval battles.

24. Doug says:

I’m going to roll this game’s box up and put it in my ass. I LOVE THE TOTAL WAR SERIES!!!!!!

25. Pus Filled Sac says:

K is correct. If they can equal the gameplay of Shogun and the original Medieval, I’ll play Empire. If it’s a flaccid effort like Rome and Medieval 2, I’ll give it a miss. Rome was an absolute travesty to this series.