The Sunday Papers

By Kieron Gillen on July 13th, 2008 at 2:25 pm.

Oh God. I'm going to end up ordering a Skaven army.

This Saturday night was all about browsing online shops and resisting dark urges that must be suppressed, or else my lady will truly leave me for someone who doesn’t stink of resin and glue. But Sunday is a joyous time. For today is the time I compile a list of fine pieces of reading to distract you this afternoon, while resisting the urge to link to old Austin-based SY-influenced indie-rock singles for no bloody discernible reason.

Failed.

__________________

« | »

1. Cooper says:

Can someone explain how, in an advert for ‘Car Games’ and ‘Bike Games’, there needs to be a sub-section for ‘Racing Games’?
    And, Parking games? Yes – over 12 of them on the site.

Anyway – Hide & Seek was great fun, though I was only there on the Sunday. McGonigal is quite right when she remarks about how ‘game’ real-life players are as opposed to online (which is why I much, much prefer playing my TF2 in the same room as my opponents or teammates). When you’re surrounded by people smiling and giggling for half the day, even my general misanthropy takes a step aside. A few people wondered if it was all a bit immature, but the thought and effort obviously put into it suggest very much otherwise.

2. Theory says:

The RPS room is quite the experience.

3. dartt says:

We were going for a Spectoresque Wall-of-RPS effect.

4. TychoCelchuuu says:

Tom Francis is spectacular. I read his blog whenever it’s updated, and that article was par for the course. Fantastic.

5. Noc says:

Interesting quote from the interview with Jim:

“And I assumed that I didn’t know very much about games at all. I mean I’ve been playing them obsessively my whole life but that was just how I lived.”

This never happens anymore.

6. Dolphan says:

“I don’t know about you, but I don’t think I could love a woman who didn’t, just a little bit, somewhere deep down, want to be a spaceship” is my favourite quote from any piece of games writing, ever.

7. ImperialCreed says:

Many thanks RPS and to Jim.

And Francis’ piece was pretty hilarious. I do wonder what’s going on, if anything, with the lady he met at the end.

8. sbs says:

Damn, downloaded the Cassandra Project only to find out that Gametap’s weird butchered Deus Ex doesn’t support it.

9. Rosti says:

Loving the Hide and Seek coverage, to the point that I’m hoping to join in with the next one. A little disappointed that igfest (which is virtually ‘local’ to me) clashes with birthday celebration plans. Ho hum.

Tom Francis is as amusing as ever too, obviously.

10. Jonas says:

“Gametap’s weird butchered Deus Ex doesn’t support it.”

Same with Steam, actually – doesn’t support mods either. Digital distribution for the lose, apparently :(

You may be able to fix it by overwriting your Gametap DeusEx.exe with the .exe from the 1.112fm patch, but back everything up before you overwrite.

11. Arsewisely says:

I loved Source, Tags and Codes – Worlds Apart, not so much. Hope they’ll get back on form with the new album.

12. Theory says:

Rubbish, I’ve managed it. The shortcut needs to be something like this:

"C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\deus ex\System\DeusEx.exe" ini="c:\program files\steam\steamapps\common\deus ex\HotelCarone\System\hotelcarone.ini" log=HotelCarone.log

Edit: I have no idea what’s going on with the huge gaps there. It’ll be fine if you copy/paste.

13. Phil H says:

RE: Trail of the Dead – Somehow they were on Adult Swim’s Metalocalypse/Dethklok tour last fall and the pairing couldn’t have been more wrong(souring me on their music). They did at least inadvertently provide some amusement for the crowd while waiting for Dethklok to hit the stage.

14. Arsewisely says:

Have Trail jumped the shark? I certainly hope not.

15. friday says:

Trail of Dead – the only indie rock band that does that rock part. Please excuse me for using the words indie rock.

16. Kadayi says:

RPS = migraine inducing with about 4 looped audio clips going on all the time tbh.

17. James G says:

Oh wow, that Hide and Seek fest sounds really cool, I’ve always wanted to try games like this. I’ll have to see if I can get to one, or if anything is going on up in Edinburgh.

For some reason, the coverage reminded me of 1000 blank white cards. Which has to be responsible for one of the most enjoyable evenings of my undergraduate degree. Unfortunately its also the kind of game where the right players are paramount, and too many people just look at you bemused when you try to explain it. (Not to mention some people seem to take themselves far too seriously.)

18. Fede says:

Theory: it’s because the text is justified

Great links :)

19. Hobbes says:

Man, I fancy Kate Bush.

Then, I mean, obviously. Possibly now to, but I’ve not seen recent photos.

20. Cargo Cult says:

Weird MINERVA-scented puzzling, anyone?

(The persons in the RPS Steam chat thinger have been doing sterling work, incidentally!)

21. Rosti says:

Heh! 1KBWC was precisely what came to mind over that Gype entry. Did you ever Kingdom of Loathe, James?

22. Powerhaus says:

My only prior expose to “and they will know us by our trail of dead” was when they opened for Dethklok in La. Not a great band but they tried

23. James G says:

@Rosti

No, although I’ve had several people suggest it to me now. I had a quick look at it a couple of years back, but didn’t go further than tha. Perhaps it is time for another look.

24. Jonas says:

Theory: Interesting, I never got that to work. A couple of us have been fiddling with enabling mods for Steam-DX over in our little corner of the world, but I guess we should try Carone and see if we can get that to work. I don’t believe there’s any technical difference between Carone and eg. HDTP.

25. Ginger Yellow says:

Oh man. I just reinstalled GalCiv 2 to get the new expansion pack and that article has totally fired me up. Unfortunately it’s 1am and starting a game now would be entering a world of pain.

26. DSX says:

Excellent papers!!! I like the sound of ..’Trail of Dead, reminds me of a local garage band in my small town called East Ash (their ancient you-tube contribution).

“writing about games has made him love games more.”

Isn’t that why every single one of us has RPS bookmarked? AMEN.

27. DragonSix says:

It almost gave me a new reason to go back to WoW, as I didn’t tried too hard to hang out with the girls I met, I may have missed an important “feature” of the game…

28. nabeel says:

Tom Francis rocks.

nabeel

29. EyeMessiah says:

Because every inch of hope becomes a world of shame!

30. The Unshaven says:

Any update on the Sins of a Solar Empire SF Quote contest? If I’ve missed it I’ll feel appropriately deficient, but I’m also curious to see what kind of entries there were…

31. DSX says:

I’ve inquired about previous contest entries before as well, all appear to be sucked into a huge vacuum of silence.

32. sinister agent says:

They’re going to piece together some kind of meta-novel using nothing but the quotes, obviously.