E3: The Trailers – C&C Red Alert 3

By Alec Meer on July 15th, 2008 at 9:02 am.

A good look at the naval combat, and the new race’s Big Stompy Robots. And the bears. The armoured bears. Joy.

Edit: beneath the cut, a newer-footage trailer focusing on newbie nation the Japanese Empire.

(thanks, SwiftRanger)

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. MasterBoo says:

You’re nothing compared too…

2. Theory says:

That’s just remixed footage from a previous demo.

3. roskelld says:

That looks awful. Zero atmosphere. It looks like Tanks invade Sims Town.

First time I’ve seen anything of it, and I was expecting to see some amazing stuff, what with LOTR, C&C3 plus addon packs already produced. I thought this would be another step up.

4. Junior says:

Games demonstrators: GET YOUR DAMNED POINTER OFF THE SCREEN!

Poor demonstration of the game, but still looks fun, I like how deadly everything looks, nothing worse than a strategy game in which you watch healthbars crawl down slowly.

5. GiGinge says:

Yeah this was shown ages ago, with a rather irritating voice over explaining the mission in detail step by step..still looks good though

6. Hogni Thor says:

Considering the high quality of recent RTS offerings I’m baffled how obsolescent IPs like C&C and Starcraft are being re-released with nary an improvement in sight. I’m not referring to being transferred to “3D”. That’s all fine and dandy, but mindless tankrush or zerg is still mindless tankrush and zerg.

Even Soulstorm, a fairly low grade rehash, was far superior in innovation to both C&C3 / Kane’s Farce. Never mind CoH, World in Conflict and to a lesser degree Supreme Commander.

7. TwistedMentat says:

Yes it’s the same boring clips that have been shown a dozen times but at least it didn’t come with a voice-over or music this time. Just the in game sounds and unit clips.

On the whole, nothing impressive or OMGWTFBBQ. Instead I found it nice. I’ll be waiting for to see how the campaign and the co-op bits flesh out before coming to a decision on it though as I don’t play RTS’ online.

8. araczynski says:

looks spiffy, but the scale of the units has always irked me. could never get into the C&C games due to that.

9. MeestaNob! says:

Well, no. Even though I’m not a fan, I can see the slow improvement and refinement of StarCraft into it’s sequel, the attention to gaming detail is clearly there.

Command and Conquer has been progressively becoming a caricature of itself over time, and now with RA3 it appears to have set the lunacy to 11.

With games like the immense scope of Supreme Commander, and the endlessly fine tuned professionalism of StarCraft over many years, I cant help but feel C&C in all its forms is well past it’s use by date.

Whilst I’m certainly a fan of ‘if it aint broke dont fix it’, but C&C has been shown up for the archaic fossil that it is. It’s NEVER improved other than visually (and compared to its competition it loses out there too).

Maybe I’m getting older, but I’m finding it absolutely impossible to be excited about this. Re-playing the old games just re-enforces for me how much times have changed.

Some of the music is still weapons grade awesome, at least.

10. Alex Taldren says:

@Hogni Thor: That may be true for something like C&C, but I’d like to see your mindless tank or zerg rush go up against a South Korean tournament winner.

11. RichPowers says:

EA should take a cue from Gabe about “read hierarchy” and completely redesign the game’s visuals. Can the battles get more crowded and confusing?

12. SwiftRanger says:

This is an old trailer idd, there is a new trailer (check this f.e.) which shows a lot more, like airplanes being able to submerge (shameless rip from The Core Contingency though).

13. EyeMessiah says:

Looks like someone just sicked up graphics.

14. Jocho says:

Sounds like I’m the only one looking forward to this. Red Alert is that over-the-top, silly and overly colourful game. And all units seems to have an ability or secondary use, so I don’t see what everyone’s problem is…

15. caesarbear says:

I’m a big fan of Red Alert 2, but that same gameplay today is not attractive. The best parts of RA2 were being sneaky with the various unit abilities, making odd combos like filling a flak transport with yuris to make it a trap. If RA3 can expand on that kind of creative combos it might have something to offer amongst the new generation of RTS games. Unit ‘design’ has been tried before, but rarely to great effect. If RA3 can bring out some player improvisation through the various mixing of unit abilities, that would be worth buying, but while I saw some interesting unit abilities in the trailers, I didn’t see any hint that the player could choose how to combine them.

16. Jewce says:

I watched that first gameplay video and felt excited. Unfortunately after that, I watched the “rising sun” video and felt sad. The mecha units are uninspired rip off’s of Macross’s valkyries and the bipedal ones = Gundam. Rising sun = Tau rip off?. *sigh* least we have those bears…

17. Mr. President says:

Oh my god, the Japanese Empire has even cornier style than the Soviets… Mecha Oni Kawaiii!!!

Comment on this story