E3: The Trailers – Ghostbusters

By Alec Meer on July 15th, 2008 at 10:12 am.

Oh man, hearing that music again does things to me. Not entirely sure about the graphics engine in this one, especially the run animation, but the faces certainly look right. And Sonorous Trailer Guy intoning “With Bill Murray” left me grinning for ten minutes.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. roskelld says:

They seem a little scared of showing the game off there.

We’ve all seen the movie, we know what Bill Murray looks like, just show us the game!

p.s Those run anims, euugh.

2. Nero says:

I saw a shorter gameplay tour on G4 earlier and as a fan of the movie I’m looking forward to this game. Seems to have captured the Ghostbusters feel good. But you never know, might be crap. Wished I could play as Bill Murray though :(

3. Cigol says:

They showed quite a lot of gameplay already, it didn’t look bad (in a, yeah I could play this, sort of way), but it didn’t look exceptional either. Hopefully the humour and atmosphere of Ghostbusters elevates it.

4. Raptornas says:

Please be good, please god be good.

5. MeestaNob! says:

Fantastic trailer, certainly embodies the whole Ghostbusters vibe, but yeah, a worryingly small amount of in game stuff there…

6. PaulMorel says:

This game looks like it will be a rushed movie tie-in type game, and that’s disappointing. I’ll still buy it, but the trailer shows some discouraging signs.

First, they say that it’s an all new story, but they show a bunch of characters from the movies. Slimer, Stay-Puft, flying books … if it’s a new story, why are those old models in the game? And why did we only get one shot of the new bad guy?

Secondly, they didn’t show us any in-game dialog. Okay, that could mean that they’re taking their time with the script. It probably means that nothing has been recorded yet … a distressing sign when we’re this close to launch.

And of course, the worst thing about that trailer is that it shows more clips from the movie than from the game. That is a TERRIBLE sign.

Still, I am very hopeful. I’m sure that I will enjoy it even if it is mediocre as a game.

7. Taxman says:

Paul how can it be a rushed movie tie in when there is no (new) movie!!

The trailer was pretty good but not enough gameplay was shown and I think the mix of film clips was probably an attempt to sway those who have never heard of or saw the original movie (yes they do exist) to check it out.

I’d bet the in game sections which stem from the original movie are part of a recap to introduce the characters to new players etc and once past that it leads into new territory (I hope).

8. GeorgeR says:

I’ll be waiting to play it but I still can’t shake the fear that it is going to turn out to be bad. I don’t know why but it is a deep seeded fear.

9. matte_k says:

Looks awesome. I think they know that if they drop the ball on this there’s going to be hell to pay, so hopefully they’ll take their time and polish it to a high level. Plus, proper voice casting and a story written by the original cast puts it a little higher than your average movie tie in for cash. They want it to succeed, and so do I.

God, so do I…

10. Paul S says:

It isn’t rushed – this has been in development for a while. However, it looks pretty much the same as the last time they showed stuff, and the animation in particular is just awful – witness the Slimer sliming in engine, with all the grace and fluidity of flick book animation.

Also, it really does look like playing through the events of the films with the fifth Ghostbuster, Barry! You remember him, right? He was the really crucial one who did all the very important, action stuff!

11. DSX says:

I wonder if this means we’ll be seeing more new video games from old movie titles. *shudder* Short Circuit the video game.

12. Mr. Bunny says:

I’ll pass.

13. Lunaran says:

I really wish reviewers would learn the difference between “graphics engine capabilities” and “content quality.”

14. marglark says: