E3: The Trailers – Tomb Raider Underworld

By Alec Meer on July 15th, 2008 at 11:23 pm.

She swims! She swims some more! She shoots sharks! And swims! I’ve yet to play the last two Tomb Raiders, so don’t know if the old shtick about drowning Lara still rings true, but she seems more aqualunged to my eye:

This video keeps getting pulled down from wherever it’s hosted – this is now the fourth version I’ve put up here. It must be because there’s a single frame of hardcore sex hidden in it or something. Otherwise it’d just be a publisher squealing “no, don’t look at our game that we want you to buy!”, and how could that ever happen?

There’s also an awful lot of straddling of giant poles, as if daring lazy games journalists to spout torrid innuendo. I won’t, I won’t! In that and in all things, it seems very much A Tomb Raider Game, which makes sense after the critical and commerical success of Crystal Dynamics’ two takes on the series. It must be said the engine’s looking fairly special if this is anything to go on. And it is, lest ye forget, what will be powering Deus Ex 3. So we can now add ‘quite good water’ to the scant list of things we know about that.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. The Poisoned Sponge says:

Spaced is consistently excellent in pointing out the nuances of what really makes a gamer tick. I think we’ve all drowned Lara at some point….

2. FredrikFtw says:

Looks like a Tomb Raider game.

3. Pavel says:

Yep, Spaced is the best.

…guts and guns, bomb, war, guts and guns,hand grenades…

Anyway, that shark looked weird, his movement I mean.And shooting under water just like that? is that possible?

4. BaronWR says:

Looks pretty enough. More of the same really, which isn’t a bad thing. Less of the fighty stuff from Legend would be nice.

The final bit shown appears to be a fairly accurate replica of You Have To Burn The Rope, except in this case the rope appears to be a chain. Either way, it’s fairly obvious what will be happening to that giant squid in the near future…

5. Crash says:

You guys forgot to mention, that she swims.

6. DSX says:

You can shoot guns underwater, though the concussion can burst your ears and a special type of firing mechanism is required to avoid jams.

Agree. Looks like another tomb raider game.

7. Mman says:

The video has been taken down, considering the jerky framerate of the video (and no previews have mentioned it, so I’m guessing it was just the video) and dodgy general video quality. I’m assuming it’s because it was either a poor recording (and therefore was deemed a bad first impression), or some sort of pre-beta footage (or both).

I guess this means they’ve got something much better in store.

8. Tom says:

Never played Crystals versions. But if as good as TR2 then i’m in.

9. Matt says:

I have really enjoyed Crystal Dynamics take on Tomb Raider games. My only request is get rid of the “interactive” cutscene crap.

Pretty please?

10. Mman says:

They already have; there are equivalents in a form of a slow motion sequence, but you are free to do any move during them; the (apparently some sort of leak) footage showed one of them.

11. Lh'owon says:

I was hoping for a less sexualised Lara this time around.

I kid! I kid!

12. Rogue says:

“We’re sorry, this video is no longer available.”

YouTube fails again.

13. Malagate says:

Just search youtube for Tomb Raider Underworld and you’ll find the E3 gameplay footage, took me ohh 12 seconds to find it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWlJRDW18yY .

I must say that I’m not impressed with the animal behaviours and physics (there’s no way that giant octopus could support itself outside of water), but then to expect them done correctly in a tomb raider game would be silly on my part. I’m just saying it would be nice to have a game where the sharks behave like real sharks where the odds of being attacked are 1 in 11 million, where molluscs don’t have skeletons and ancient underwater ruins don’t have burning torches inside them.

14. Duoae says:

Was it just me or was that incredibly dark? Maybe it was just the video but i couldn’t even see Lara for most of the time she was platforming…

15. Arsewisely says:

The shark looked weird?! Lara looked like wind-up swimming barbie. Very odd leg animation.

16. Mman says:

Someone from Eidos has already confirmed the video was way darker than the source video it came from. I’m taking what I saw in it with a grain of salt considering it was pulled and the video quality was so bad, I can always be proven wrong later :p .

17. iainl says:

Any news on whether the title means Rick and Karl are doing the music?

18. Joinn says:

I get this distinct Prince of Persia feeling when she’s jumping on poles and ledges.

Then again, there’s something about a woman sliding on poles even if she’s pixelated…

19. Meat Circus says:

Halfway between Legend and Anniversary is where I want this game to be.

BE SO.

20. Rook says:

What the hell? This looks awful. I was expecting to at least keep the fluid anniversary/legend animation, not turn her into some frog/barbie hybrid.

21. Verdugo says:

It just doesn’t look like tomb raider :/

Could be the fact that Lara can’t drown.

22. Mman says:

Meh. IGN Livewire had a section that showed the same clunky, dark footage as here. I just hope there’s a live playthrough coming, or something to show that its an older build (considering it didn’t seem to have stuff like Lara moving foliage that was mentioned in other previews) or simply something in the trailer on friday to alleviate my fears a little. Because even as a raging fanboy I have to say the current footage doesn’t really match up with the silky-smooth HD footage its competitors like Prince Of Persia and Mirrors Edge got.

Comment on this story