E3: The Trailers – Call of Duty 5

By Alec Meer on July 16th, 2008 at 10:48 pm.

As there’s doubtless a legion of Nazi-jaded folk queuing up to loudly lament COD’s return to WW2, now seems an opportune moment to observe that hey, some of you seem really angry this week. Is it pre-release tension about all these games? Are you okay? Do you need a hug? A biscuit, maybe? Please be happier. Please.

COD: World At War, then. A taste of co-op here, and what I’m now informed is in fact an old trailer beneath the cut. Unfortunately neither spend much time on the survival horror element Treyarch claim is central to the Pacific campaign, but that may be because E3 is so terribly focused on bombast. Hence, ‘splodes!

Out in the Autumn, apparently.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Optimaximal says:

I’m sure that’s the same trailer that came out before…

2. Turin Turambar says:

This trailer is two months old…

3. Larington says:

I wonder if its got something to do with the fact that a large number of companies that specialise in interactive entertainment have come together to release, oh, wait, NON-interactive trailers and, maybe, if we’re really lucky, one or two non-interactive gameplay videos.

Or maybe its just one of those full moon weeks or something.

4. Lurch Kimded says:

Angry!?! I’m not angry… I’m perfectly happy…

I mean I’m only broke, being shafted every which way by the government, the gaming industry, and the world in general, in fact everything…

Its… its all so pointless, so why wouldn’t I be HAPPY!?!?!?

And now CoD gone back to WW2, well thats just PEACHY!!!

Thats it… I warned them, I’m going to give them a DAMN GOOD THRASHING!!! [runs off to grab a branch]

OK, my poor attempt at sarcasm/wit/stupidity* aside, I never really got into Call of Duty but I heard CoD4 was amazing so I may give that one a shot, but WW2 isn;t really an instant hit for me usually

* (delete as appropriate)

5. Noc says:

I think it’s because you’re all JERKS. Every single one of you. But a cookie would be nice.

Anyways, I think that Nazi-fatigue will be helped somewhat by the fact that this one’s set in the Pacific. We haven’t quite been overloaded with games where you shoot at the Japanese, and my impression’s always been that the Pacific war involved 30% more viciousness and 45% more twattery.

6. Stella says:

Is that Kiefer Sutherland I hear?

7. Razerious says:

@Stella

Sounds like it’s Kiefer Sutherland, yeah

8. MetalCircus says:

Is it me or is the voice acting sort of good?

9. Optimaximal says:

So that’s what he’s been up to in-between the writers strike and drink driving!

10. Albides says:

Nazis; I hate those guys.

11. Leeks! says:

RPS: Adorably mothering its fanbase since 1873.

12. Nick Halme says:

I’ve got to give Treyarch props for (and I’ve never…been to one) capturing the frenzy of a battlefield and so far, executing on their theme well (the last MoH in the Pacific was very ‘meh’).

After seeing Killzone and its bored soldiers, and Dragon Age’s rather fruity battle cries, I’ve gained a bit more respect for those that can at least hit the par.

13. Marcos Castrillón says:

Kiefer Sutherland?

Who cares if the game is good or bad?

SOOOOOLD!

14. MeestaNob! says:

Kiefer Sutherland + FLAMETHROWERS! = yay!

15. Jonathan says:

So thats what one of these co-ops look like. Wow. I just learned tonnes.

16. Simpsoid says:

Is it me or are the enemies completely stupid in that game?

All the nazis do is run straight at the player and get shot. This isn’t Doom 2. There is this thing called AI now. It’s been used in games before but doesn’t seem to be here.

There’s 10 or so nazi tanks with MGs on them and the dude just walks behind one with a flamethrower for, like, at least a minute! He doesn’t get shot once. This was World War 2 not Nerf War 2!

Looks horrible. But then again I’m a PC gamer. With a mouse and a keyboard. I noticed they seemed to be Xboxer’s or PS3er’s so I wouldn’t be surprised if the enemies were toned down because of the difficulty in using the controller.

17. Jochen Scheisse says:

Grrrrr…

18. Skalpadda says:

A biscuit would be nice!

19. El Stevo says:

Jack… Jack Bauer?

Sold.

20. Stop Spamming Your Pyramid Scheme Here -Admin says:

Who cares if the trailer is two months old? I still enjoy seeing it and make me want the game every time.

21. Stitched says:

Wow. Flamethrowers that destroy tanks. Incredible!

22. KindredPhantom says:

Haven’t you heard angry is the new black.

23. Noc says:

Flamethrowers DO kill tanks. It’s a matter of historical record. I am not even joking here.

24. Erlam says:

Why the fuck is AI still so goddamn awful? Jesus Christ, if you didn’t need to set off triggers in every CoD game, you could just fire you gun off at the start of the level and they’d all pile into your bullets, single file.

25. Forceflow says:

Not overly impressed with the fire particles. I mean, you can practicly see the fire animation looping. What is this, Tomb Raider 2 ?

26. powerhaus says:

Looks fun, but anyone else annoyed by the rapid fire nature of the carbine? *picky*

27. Jonathan says:

No, I refuse to accept that people are praising this whilst saying “meh” about Fallout 3.

28. Winterborn says:

Yeah a hug would be good.

29. Simon says:

It might be a bit off topic, but check out the Wii trailers for this game. They’re set up exactly like other Wii game trailers to hilarious consequences. There’s a white-toothed family of various genders ang ages all togther on and around the couch as the trailer cuts back and forth between the ingame visuals of people being set on fire with a flamthrower and screaming and screaming and the entire family on the couch smiling and swinging away with the Wii-mote and then the visuals again of people being violently killed in a historic setting with as realistic graphics as you can expect on the platform.

30. Jonathan says:

I would just like to support Simon in saying how great the Wii trailer is. I especially love the chirpy flame thrower when it announces co-op.

31. EyeMessiah says:

I just finished cod4 more or less in a single sitting and was very surpirsed by how much I enjoyed it so I have to say I am looking forward to cod5 very much.

@Jonathon, my expectations for a COD sequal and a fallout sequal are very, very different – im guessing many of the ‘mehs’ feel similarly.