E3: The Trailers – I Am Alive

By Alec Meer on July 16th, 2008 at 12:08 am.

And I am very tired. I’m also enticed by this cutscene from a new Ubisoft game. About, hey, a post-apocalyptic world! There’s certainly a theme to E3 2008…

No clue about the game itself – but it’s a neat cinematic. It’s gotten me interested, certainly. Doubly so if it’s a game in which you avoid combat, as implied by the water bottle trap-setting scene. Intriguing. And hopefully not another Alone In The Dark.

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. Saflo says:

Yeah, I guess it’s all right, but I’m still cranky about not getting a new Beyond Good & Evil trailer.

2. DSX says:

Very sexy trailer. Not a single gun shown, still plenty of drama and action.

3. kadayi says:

Interesting…must know more…

4. skalpadda says:

Intriguing. Looks like it could be a cool concept for a survival game, but I’m just dreaming here.

5. Solace64 says:

I love the entire theme. I know nothing about it, yet I’m all excited about it.

6. Jonas says:

Some sort of disaster game? I was wondering recently why we didn’t have more of those. It would probably be wise to downplay any possible post-apocalysm in favour of more conventional disaster fiction in the vein of Earthquake or The Towering Inferno. Both because that’s far more mainstream, and because we don’t have a lot of that in this medium – unlike postapocalypticism, where they’d be going up against Fallout 3.

In fact I struggle to think of a single disaster game? Colour me intrigued, in any case.

7. John P (Katsumoto) says:

Hmm! Looks interesting! Of course it tells us nothing about the game as you say, but regardless, one to watch?

8. MetalCircus says:

Like I said, Post-apocalypse = the new world war 2. Not that that’s a bad thing, i could never get bored of such an infinitely interesting subject. Very good looking trailer!

9. skalpadda says:

Some serious 9/11 feel to the scene where the skyscraper falls over with the huge cloud of dust rushing down the street. It’s an emotional link that works I guess, especially with our generation of young people, but I really hope it’s not about terrorists.

At the moment it could be about anything of course, which is sort of fun.

10. phil says:

The rendered people in that trailer really hit me right in the uncanny valley.. They just look.. wrong.

11. MisterBritish says:

What the hell was it that happened 2/3 years ago that made every developer go: “post-apocalyptic is for me!”.

I’m not complaning, ‘cos I love it, just trying to work out what it was.

12. Pantsman says:

Hm… survivor of an apocalypse struggles to survive in ruins of a major American city, sets traps for his enemies…let’s call it I Am Legend Alive!

And it seems everyone else is thinking the same thing I am, which is that the post-apocalypse is the new WWII, what with Stalker: CS, Fallout 3, Rage, and now this.

13. SpaceCow says:

Are you guys sure this is even a PC release?

14. Ian Dorsch says:

It looks neat, but I’m a bit skeptical given past offerings from Darkworks. I’ll keep my fingers crossed for awesome.

15. Ichabe says:

Great trailer, it’s got me interested. It’s good to see more post-apoc games, since that has to be my favorite setting.

16. Evan says:

I like all the new trailers, but why all the sudden links? We could all just go to E3……

17. SanguineLobster says:

Apocalypse? Main character’s name is Adam? I hope it isn’t setting up for some trite Bible metaphor.

Nice cinematic though.

18. john says:

That ‘cloud of dust billowing down a manhattan street’ scene is so tired at this point, isn’t it?

19. Tim James says:

Like I always say, I could play Barbie Horse Adventures set post-apocalypse.

20. Martin says:

Neato!

21. Mr. President says:

Right until the buildings started collapsing, I thought the game would be about some sort of ice-nine. Now I, once again, have no idea.

22. Sarin says:

Main guy looks like a bit of a meat-head, but otherwise seems intriguing

23. Aldo says:

Is it me, or is that ‘previously’ bit a tad Cloverfield?

24. Albides says:

Captivating, even if a bit trite due to material recently trodden material (Cloverfield suggestions, post apocalyptic setting, etc.).

25. Phil says:

I watched Cloverfield just the other day, and that leaning skyscraper is like a direct lift from the film. If it’s a coincidence, it’s quite unfortunate.

26. Malagate says:

Looks interesting, but that’ll depend on how they tackle the way the game is played, mainly if it is more about survival and less about shooting the crap out of people (Stalker, Fallout).
    I will however remain pessimistic as it’s an Ubisoft game, I’ve been burned by them before so I’m not willing to give them the benefit of the doubt when there’s not gameplay footage.

27. Lollerskater says:

There have been disaster games before. In particular the Disaster Report series on the PS2 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disaster_Report) comes to mind.

In fact the premise of I Am Alive sounded eerily similar at first. However judging from the trailer they seem to be dealing more with the fall out of the catastrophe rather than the earthquake itself, which could lend to some interesting things. However it also makes me feel the disaster aspect is more of schtick than it is relevant to the gameplay.

28. Ian says:

I wonder if the “entice them with a bottle of water to make them plunge to their doom” thing is indicative of neat ideas to get out of trouble in gameplay?

29. rob says:

Looking a bit Children of Men towards the end there.

30. Koopa says:

Got me interested. Looked a bit like Cloverfield. Would be nice to get a survival game, where you actually need to survive.

31. Jamie says:

The protaganist looked like a cross between Damon and Rooney, discuss

32. The Hammer says:

Looking a bit Children of Men towards the end there.

My exact thoughts as well. The whole “put your drink on a surface and wait for the explosions”.

Maybe it’s knowingly ripping off all the ideas, though? I mean, it certainly looked like Cloverfield too, and I Am Alive… heh. Pantsman got it right.

…has made me want to watch CoM again, though!

33. MetalCircus says:

I wouldn’t mind if it ripped off a few bits from Children of Men, because Children of Men is fucking brilliant!

34. roBurky says:

Oooh, interesting!

Although, looking back on it. The three guys wanted Adam’s bottle of water. Adam used the bottle of water to kill them all. If he was willing to lose the bottle of water like that, why didn’t he just give them the bottle?

35. Arsewisely says:

Survival of the fittest – one bottle of water bought him 3 less competitors. Or maybe he’s just a bastard? Anyway, it was only six days since whatever caused the disaster happened, surely they wouldn’t be at the “killing each other for water” stage yet?

36. JoeFreakinRussell says:

@ roBurky Perhaps he had more in his bag which they would have chase after? Or perhaps that would make him a dull and submissive character who wouldn’t be much fun to play?

37. Al3xand3r says:

Well, duh, they won’t ask for more water tommorow now. It’s obvious they know him and know he can get stuff and would come back for more if he gave in…

38. Tim James says:

The only real plausibility explanation they absolutely must have in a disaster game is why anyone would remain in a city with millions of other people instead of spreading out into the wilderness for more resources. It can be irradiated scorpions, a loved one that must be rescued, talking bears — whatever, as long as it’s something.

39. dhex says:

why not hit the wilderness?

james burke blinds you with science…and a reasonable argument about trying to farm/produce food without old tyme knowledge or modern equipment.

40. KindredPhantom says:

“like I Am Legend but not” lol

41. Nick Halme says:

A game with some subtlety and restraint.

Bah, now I’ve gone and jinxed it, haven’t I?