E3: The Trailers – The Sims 3

By Jim Rossignol on July 17th, 2008 at 9:34 am.

“Just imagine if you had lived your whole life inside your house.” Yeah, thanks EA. I do get out occasionally, FYI.

, , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Gap Gen says:

That pan-out of the town reminds me of Pine Valley in World in Conflict…

Where’s the button to fire the naval guns on the beach?

2. itsallcrap says:

Still don’t see the appeal of The Sims.

You just doss about. Where’s the game?

3. Lucky says:

I’ve got a feeling I’d go back inside if among the first things I saw were a senile old woman complaining and some blatantly gay guy giggling under a lawn sprinkler.

4. Basil says:

You just doss about. Where’s the game?

Indeed. It’s like playing WoW without the killing.

5. K says:

Sims are my guilty pleasure. There’s not that much content without the expansions though, irritatingly. And I’m not prepared to buy any on principle.

But, still. I enjoy the creation side of things.

6. El Stevo says:

I’ll wait until the nude mods are out.

7. roBurky says:

I’ve been playing a lot of Sims 2 recently. Wright’s praising of the Open for Business expansion pack caused me to try it out. It is actually really well done with the way it balances the dolls house creativity with the gamey goals and challenge.

8. Cigol says:

Kieron has written articles about the Sims that are published on RPS if you’re interested. I’m personally a big fan, can’t wait.

9. Rayna says:

@itsallcrap: that’s the point of sandbox games, you can do anything you want. it’s all about non-linear gameplay and user-generated content. it’s exciting for some people to be able to create the game, rather than follow someone else’s firmly set path.

didn’t you ever make forts when you were a kid? :P

10. sigma83 says:

I will not buy the sims 3 I will not buy the sims 3 I will not oh who the fuck am I kidding /cries

11. Zed says:

If I can rob all their houses while they’re at the concert, I’ll be impressed.

12. Lukasz says:

I played sims 1 when it was released a lot.
    Played sims 2 for 10-20 minutes and didn’t like. Not that it was anything wrong with it. Just it wasn’t appealing anymore (sims one either. haven’t touch it for years)
    nor is sims 3. had my fun with that concept. Doesn’t interest me anymore.

but i wonder how sims 4 will look like.

13. michael says:

Shame there will most probably be a ton of loading screens everywhere, like in true Sims tradition.

14. Cigol says:

@Michael; that’s just one of the many existing problems that has supposedly been fixed and done away with.

15. KindredPhantom says:

I look forward to The Sims: Colonies.
    The sims set on colonies on the moon.

16. Cigol says:

That would be cool, integration with Spore for the win.

17. roBurky says:

michael: I think highlighting the removal of loading screens was the point of that trailer.

18. Saflo says:

That would be cool, integration with Spore for the win.

The Spirms! Wait…

19. Name (required) says:

anyone whos interested in sims doesn’t deserve to live…

20. I.Steal.your.gun.be says:

Now with extra emo ;-p

21. kadayi says:

I’ll probably pick this up, as every so often I indulge in a bit of Sims 2, if nothing more than to build the odd minimalist mansion for my Sims to debauch themselves in. However I can’t say the Sims shown here actually look that much better than in Sims 2 in terms of their features etc tbh. I’m kind of hankering for character creation as versatile as that shown in APB in a recent feature:-

That’s the sort of toolset Sims 3 should be shipping with…

22. terry says:

*untranslatable conversation about trains and snakes*
    *untranslatable joke involving sumo wrestlers*
    *craps on sofa*

23. DSX says:

“That pan-out of the town reminds me of Pine Valley in World in Conflict…”

exactly. Run the whole trailer as is, then suddenly a nuke flash, shock wave, and fire storm sweeping up town as art style changes to World In Conflict II with amphib tanks rolling up from the sea.

I would pay to see that. I wouldn’t pay to play Sims.

24. Erlend M says:

I don’t. This came as a revelation!

25. Lucky says:

Speaking of destruction, the beginning reminded me of Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy and I was half-expecting the house to be bulldozed at any moment.

26. someyoungguy says:

The music is still awesome.