Knights Of The Online Republic: KOTOR MMO Is Go

By Alec Meer on July 17th, 2008 at 8:32 pm.

Classes will include Jedi, Jedi, Jedi and Gungan

It’s a big day for Bioware. First, Dragon Age scrubs up very nice indeed, and now EA have only bleedin’ gone and revealed they’re planning Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic: The MMO. Yes, with Bioware at the till. [Pauses for internet-wide cheer]. “As if millions of voices suddenly cried out in rapture and were suddenly fanboys…”

It’s been rumoured for ages, but E3 saw EA’s John Riccitiello drop a conclusive bombshell. Quote’n'that under the jump.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again – I’d better be able to play as a Jawa.

“We’ve got two of the most compelling MMOs in the industry in development,” said Riccitiello. The first title, based on the Warhammer property, will launch soon. “And the one that people are dying for us to talk to them about — in partnership with Lucas, coming out of BioWare, which is, I think, quite possibly the most anticipated game, full stop, for the industry at the point when we get closer to telling you about it.”

Does Riccitiello mean the oft rumored Knights of the Old Republic Online? “Yes,” he said.

(From Portfolio via VG247).

“Yes” can be such a magical word.

In a way, the Bioware involvement is in many ways the least important element of this. It’s a certain seal of quality, sure – and crucially it’s the first time they’ve done Massively Multi – but what’s really big here is that it’s a Star Wars MMO. From EA. In a post-WoW climate (which puts it on an entirely different footing to poor Galaxies right from the off). In other words, perhaps the most serious rival World of Warcraft could possibly have.

We’ll be needing to hear your name suggestions now, please.

, , , .

1. Fox says:

look at my list! it makes sence!

2. jawa says:

Man i cant wait for this game im gonna be either a jedi or sometin else maybe a sith soldier there armor is cool

3. Bassblasta says:

I think they should add some story of what happened to Revan & da Exile at least in the MMo as a CPU sayim it lol

4. Jawa says:

CRPG … You mean… Canadian Ranger Patrol Groups right? haha… just kidding, but in all honesty I would have hoped more for just a regular RPG rather than MMO, MMO’s tend to mess with story lines and well… I play WoW… use to be excessive… but now whenever I’m bored which is rarly anymore… anyways off my rambling I think that if they do the whole constant grind low level to high level like WoW… even though you can do quests to level which is slow but somewhat enjoyable it makes it so you dont have choice…. choice which is what made KOTOR 1 and 2 a… Legend so to say… and I would like to still see what they will make of this KOTOR: MMORPG… Bioware makes great stuff… Just hopfully LucasArts won’t rush them… I will be pissed if material is cut that would add to the game even the slightest bit… Long live KOTOR and Bioware creators. :]

5. Dan says:

I think that they should just make KOTOR 3 and have it online as well so the main game offline would be huge and it would be the same as it would be online only they’ll add expansions. This would be their best option in my opinion. Anyone agree?

6. Bob says:

But.. What about the Pause at the start of every battle. -.-… How the hell are they gonna do that? I mean it would be good. But there a few things that they would need to fix. We can’t just have jedi and sith running around killing each other. But i do agree that, KOTOR Online. Would be the best fucking thing in the whole world. :)

7. Cash says:

Well, basically everyone is going to want to be a Jedi. I mean, who wouldn’t? What Bioware is going to have to do is make it so that there are several types of Jedi, as well as some very VERY interesting non-Jedi classes aswell. Possibly go with the original Guardian, Sentinel and Consular outfit, add in some non-Jedi classes like Bounty Hunters who would be all about the blaster and some form of rogue based class who would be the only ones able to stealth. Add in a Droid class or two and you’ve got yourself a game, sister!